Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Is it possible to be Pro-Life AND Pro Choice? 
    Just something that's been on my mind lately, not trying to start too huge a debate on the subject I'd just like some honest opinions on it. I've gotten into heated discussions about Abortion with other Conservatives before and I'd like to hear what you inteligent people have to say as well.

I feel most connected to Libertarians and while we're closest to Conservatives (I feel) rather than Liberals, here's some of my broad feelings on the whole Abortion issue:

First of all, I believe it's an immoral, barbaric process. I would never and have never supported any women in my life (mother, sister) having an Abortion because of said beliefs. I feel the Federal Government owes no dime of taxpayer money to compensation for subsidizing Abortions for anyone and I feel that Roe vs Wade should be overturned on the basis that the Supreme Court ignored the Tenth Amendment and States, not the Feds, should be able to pass their own Abortion or Anti-Abortion legislation only.

BUT, when it comes to a woman making a choice regarding her own body I feel she has the Right to do whatever she wish. In my opinion it's no place to pass judgement on anyone else (like the Bible says) and in order to be a Free people we should respect the Rights and privacy of every citizen no matter how much we may personally disagree with their choices.

So is it possible to be Pro-Life and Pro-Choice? I wonder...
    "Don't vote. It only encourages the bastards." -PJ O'Roarke

To be pro life is to give the government the responibility to protect all unborn children. Not just to be against the practise. One could say I don't want any off my family or friends to murder anyone but who am I to cast judgement on anyone else that wants to murder someone. I see little middle ground here but I no exactly what you are saying. I myself feel that way at times and I have to remind myself that all human life should have the right by law to live. How can they protect themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by marinejcksn View Post
    Just something that's been on my mind lately, not trying to start too huge a debate on the subject I'd just like some honest opinions on it. I've gotten into heated discussions about Abortion with other Conservatives before and I'd like to hear what you inteligent people have to say as well.

I feel most connected to Libertarians and while we're closest to Conservatives (I feel) rather than Liberals, here's some of my broad feelings on the whole Abortion issue:

First of all, I believe it's an immoral, barbaric process. I would never and have never supported any women in my life (mother, sister) having an Abortion because of said beliefs. I feel the Federal Government owes no dime of taxpayer money to compensation for subsidizing Abortions for anyone and I feel that Roe vs Wade should be overturned on the basis that the Supreme Court ignored the Tenth Amendment and States, not the Feds, should be able to pass their own Abortion or Anti-Abortion legislation only.

BUT, when it comes to a woman making a choice regarding her own body I feel she has the Right to do whatever she wish. In my opinion it's no place to pass judgement on anyone else (like the Bible says) and in order to be a Free people we should respect the Rights and privacy of every citizen no matter how much we may personally disagree with their choices.

To be truly pro-life, I feel you must believe there is a life at stake. If you feel "it's a woman's right to choose because it's her body", you don't seem to believe there is a 2nd person there, a person whose life is at stake. Pro-lifer's are not anti-choice... they believe that it is a person's right to decide what to do with their own body. It's just that they believe there is a 2nd living person that will be killed rather than a tumerous growth in the woman's stomach that is still part of her own body, and that people should not be able to kill another person because doing so is more convenient for them.

So, at what point to you really believe life, and a separate human being, begins? At birth? At conception? Or at some point in between, such as the start of brain activity in the 2nd trimester?

For myself, it's brain activity... before that point, I feel it's not yet a separate, thinking human being, and can be aborted (though it's still a potential human being and deserves respect and due consideration.) After that point, I feel it's a separate human being, and the mother has no right to kill it unless it is necessary to save her own life or as a mercy killing due to severe physical defects that would result in a prolonged and agonizing death for the child.
    The problem in the next four years will be not just that the president of the United States serially does not tell the truth. Instead, the real crisis in our brave new relativist world will be that those who demonstrate that he is untruthful will themselves be accused of lying. - Victor Davis Hanson

Yes, as it sounds like you are both.

An Adversary of Linda #'s

I feel that the choices we make in this life have an effect on our spiritual life and we are held accountable for them .To me the terms are mutually exclusive. That is the one opposes the other.To be pro life and pro death at the same time is impossible .Isn't pro choice the same thing as choosing between life or death ?

!My beliefs are that at the moment of conception a life is formed and if uninterrupted will it develop into a new born baby !If we intentionally stop the process and abort the child we have committed infanticide !

Partial birth abortion is a step further and is demonstratably murder most foul .The child is delivered it's spinal cord cut and at one time reinserted into the womb.Now they don't even bother reinserting it .
    Last edited by megimoo; 07-20-2009 at 03:26 AM.

It would be like having your cake and eating it too. Sorry for the cliche but it is apt here. I am for the life of the child. I believe that the time for choice was upstream when there was a choice to prevent the conception of the child possible. When people engage in an action then they are saying that the will take responsibility for any consequences of that action. It is implied consent. In most cases abortion is a way to wiggle out of the responsibility they agreed to when they engaged in the behavior that lead to the choice to kill a child or not. Do you think that someone should be given the choice to take a life in order to rectify a bad decision they made?

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Of course it's possible. You just have to be able to separate your personal morals from the proper role of the state.

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    Do you think that someone should be given the choice to take a life in order to rectify a bad decision they made?
    Absolutely not. I think Samurai made a great point for me personally with deciding when exactly it's a 2nd life and past the point debating it, personally I feel once there's brain activity present or a heartbeat on a sonogram it's another Human Being and Abortion shouldn't be allowed unless the mother's health will be seriously impacted as a result of carrying the child to term. I'm not convinced on the arguement that life begins at conception.
    "Don't vote. It only encourages the bastards." -PJ O'Roarke

I think it is possible.

I constantly hear some folks get worked up abortion is murder, people that have them are baby killers, etc... but they don't have a problem with it in the case of rape or danger to the mother.

I don't think those people should be labled pro choice.
    2009 CU Pro Football Pick'em Champ

Sure, there is a way to be both. One can choose one code to live one's own life by, and support a different rule as the law of the land.