Results 1 to 2 of 2
  1. #1 Letters from Gettysburg 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Letters from Gettysburg

    Battle of Gettysburg July 1st - 3rd 1863
    Pvt. Henry Brown
    Frederick City, VA, July 10, 1863

    Dear Parents,
    It has been a long time since I have written to you but it has been impossible for me to write.
    We are camping at Frederick City now. I will begin from the time I wrote last and tell you all that has happened.

    I wrote last while the Battle of Chancellorsville was going on. We left camp about fifteen minutes after I finished writing so that I did not have time to post it in the office till after the battle. We went to Bank’s Ford. We were engaged there on the fifth of May. After the battle was over and our troops retired, we went back to our old camp.

    We stayed there about a week when we moved with the rest of the Reserve back near Patonock Creek. We stayed her until the 6th of June when we left camp again.We were engaged at Freeman’s Ford across the Rappahannock on the 9th. We retired near Bealeton Station. We were with a brigade of infantry.

    We were ordered to report to General Pleasanton on the 12th at Catlett Station. After reporting to him, we continued our march. We joined the brigade of regular calvary. We marched to Thoroughfare Gap. It was near dark when we left Catlett Station. We marched by a road. The road was narrow and rocky and almost covered by brush.

    I was driving on the swing team of the first piece. We run off from a bank some ten feet high into a ravine. Over and over went the piece until it reached the bottom. The wheel horses rolled over each other several times and landed on their backs at the bottom. The driver was caught between them and bruised considerably.

    My team did not go quite to the bottom and I managed to slip off before they fell. The rest of the battery went on and most of the calvary. This delayed us a couple of hours.

    When we went ahead we came out upon the Pike that runs by the Bull Run Battle Ground. We passed the battle field about 8 in the morning. We went but a short distance farther, when we were ordered back. We were on the wrong road. We reached the Gap about 10.

    Half the battery went to the other side of the Gap and half this side. We took a position upon a hill. We stayed here till dark. The next day we left at dark and dark it was. We went upon the gallop nearly all the way. The air was so full of dust that we could not see an inch from our nose.

    We kept to the main road till within 2 miles of Bull Run when we took a bye road that led to Manassas Junction. We reached there about day light. We went to Union Mills. We unsaddled and stopped for an hour. We harnessed up again and went across Bull Run Creek. We stopped till night. We went a few miles towards Centreville.

    We stopped till morning. A good deal of infantry passed us here. We passed through Centreville. We took the road to Leesburg. We passed through Aldie. Our advance had a fight there. Our brigade was in reserve. I cannot give any further details of our movements now. Our brigade marched to Middleburg. We were attacked in our rear, just before reaching there, while going through a piece of woods. We managed to get through into a field surrounded on all sides by a stone wall. We got our battery into position.

    The calvary dismounted and deployed behind the stone wall. The enemy came on with the most terrific yells and reached the wall in some places before our men, but our men marched right up to the wall. At the same time our battery opened with canister which fairly swept them from the ground.

    They skedaddled in every direction. Not one of our men were injured. General Gregg’s Division was already at Middleburg. They arrived the day before by a different road. We supposed them to be the enemy. At first they covered our left and rear. We remained quiet all the next day ready for them at any moment.

    [ Page 2 ]

    Henry Brown at Frederick City,
    July 10, 1863

    The next morning our section joined General Buford’s Division. The whole calvary force was here with five or six flying batteries. Buford’s Division was on the right of our forces. Our two pieces were all the artillery in the division. We recrosssed Goose Creek at the same place we had crossed it before the skirmishing commenced here. We were on the flank of the enemy. Our skirmishers advanced on the double quick. We closed behind.

    The enemy would get behind the walls and stand till our men were upon them and run away. We went over hills, through woods, most of the time upon the run. We drove them through Ashby’s Gap. Our cavalry made several splendid charges. This was the prettiest fight we had ever been in. We drove them over 8 miles. We joined the rest of our battery. We have been with the regular brigade ever since.
    .................................................. .
    We were engaged near Gettysburg a few miles from the main army the day of the big battle on the 3rd. We were engaged at Williamsport on the 6th. It was the severest fight we have had. The battery was engaged at Boonsboro on the eighth. Four pieces were dismounted. We came back yesterday. We are going to get a new battery and horses. The army has all moved to Boonsboro. There is fighting going on now.

    I am well. I will write another letter soon. I got your package. Direct your letter to Washington or elsewhere.

    Goodbye for this time. Henry W. Brown
    Horse Artillery, Battery K, First U.S.

    There has been a spy hung here. Here is a piece of the tree he was hung on.
    Reply With Quote  

  2. #2  
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Pvt. Henry Brown, Battery K, Artillery
    Camp near Bealeton Station, July 31st, 1863
    [After Gettysburg, in pursuit of Lee]

    Dear Parents,

    I received your letter yesterday. I am glad to know that you got my letter and to hear that you are all well. I wrote you last at Fredericksburg. We left there. In a couple days, we went to Berlin.We crossed the river on the 17th. We moved on through Rectertown to Manassas Gap.

    Our brigade consists of the 1st, 2nd, 5th regular and 6th Provisional and our battery called the
    regular, occupied the Gap till the infantry arrived. The cavalry had considerable skirmishing but held their position. When the infantry arrived, we moved out on the road towards Little Washington.

    We stayed there till the Rebs were drove beyond Front Royal. We then moved to Warrenton. We moved day before yesterday to Bealeton Station. We moved out here yesterday. The Army is encamped around Warrenton and Warrenton Junction. The enemy’s pickets are on the other side of the Rappahannock .

    We shall probably lay in camp till the army gets clothed and recruited. We have had very hard times for two months past. We have not had our rations regular some times. We would be 3 days without anything except what we could forage and that was very little. We cleaned out everything edible at Rectertown and Manassas Gap. We are now lying about half way between Bealeton Station and Rappahannock Station.

    I am in good health. You must not worry if it is a long time before I write. We cannot get time to wash our clothes. I got the letter you wrote before, about a week ago. I am very glad you are all getting along so well. I am glad that Ada is getting along so well. I will write to her soon, if I get a chance. The package you sent was all right. I got it before we left Fredericksburg. Keep up good courage and not feel worried if you do not hear from me very often. I will write as often as I get a chance.

    Goodbye for this time.From your son,Henry W. Brown
    Reply With Quote  

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts