Thread: Obama Rejects Claim That Health Care Defeat Could Mark His 'Waterloo'

1. #1 Obama Rejects Claim That Health Care Defeat Could Mark His 'Waterloo' 
    President Obama on Monday rejected a claim that stopping health care reform could mark his "Waterloo," accusing his critics of peddling the "politics of delay and defeat" in an effort to preserve the status quo.

Obama's statements were the latest in a health care reform blitz undertaken by the administration, as it presses lawmakers to produce a palatable overhaul before the perceived window of opportunity passes. Recent poll numbers show the American public is losing confidence in the administration's health care efforts as lawmakers in both parties raise concerns about the eye-popping costs of the plans on the table, and Obama is trying to keep the narrative from spinning out of control.

Without mentioning the senator by name, the president on Monday recounted South Carolina Republican Sen. Jim DeMint's recent comment that derailing his health care overhaul would be like Napoleon's most famous defeat. Obama used the quote to suggest that politics are trumping the interests of the American people.

"Think about that," Obama said. "This isn't about me. This isn't about politics. This is about a health care system that is breaking America's families. ... We can't afford the politics of delay and defeat when it comes to health care -- not this time, not now." ...
    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009...-reform-blitz/

Banned
    I sure hope this crap does not pass because the government will crowd out the private sector and we will wind up with a single payer system like Canada, UK, etc. We know how rationed care works in those countries.

Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    I sure hope this crap does not pass because the government will crowd out the private sector and we will wind up with a single payer system like Canada, UK, etc. We know how rationed care works in those countries.
    You'll be worse off than us. We are still free to have private health insurance or pay for treatment. you won't be.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bijou View Post
    You'll be worse off than us. We are still free to have private health insurance or pay for treatment. you won't be.
    If it passes, it will take a couple of years for the full blown single payer system takes effect. I will be living in another country if that system is ever enacted. Old farts like me would hate to spend the rest of our days in jail for blowing away some bureaucrat for telling us we are too old to receive treatment. Go home and die would be unacceptable to me.