Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Boy to hit the 555-pound mark by age 14. 
    S.C. case looks on child obesity as child abuse. But is it?
    By Ron Barnett, USA TODAY
    Jerri Gray was doing all she could to help her son lose weight, her attorney says. But something had gone terribly wrong for the boy to hit the 555-pound mark by age 14.

Authorities in South Carolina say that what went wrong was Gray's care and feeding of her son, Alexander Draper. Gray, 49, of Travelers Rest, S.C., was arrested in June and charged with criminal neglect. Alexander is now in foster care.

The case has attracted national attention. With childhood obesity on the rise across the USA, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Gray's attorney says it could open the door to more criminal action against parents whose children have become dangerously overweight.

"If she's found guilty on those criminal charges, you have set a precedent that opens Pandora's box," Grant Varner says. "Where do you go next?"

State courts in Texas, Pennsylvania, New York, New Mexico, Indiana and California have grappled with the question in recent years, according to a 2008 report published by the Child Welfare League of America.

In all of those cases, except the one in California, courts expanded their state's legal definition of medical neglect to include morbid obesity and ruled that the children were victims of neglect, the report says. Criminal charges were filed only in the California and Indiana cases, but the parents weren't sentenced to jail time in either.
    http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/...M_Exclude=Juno

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    pretty soon taking kids to church will be child abuse.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Walking a razor blade...

When I was young, I lived to be outdoors.

I guess, I just don't understand kids today.

In the South Carolina case, Gray followed nutritional guidelines set for her son by the state Department of Social Services, Varner says, but Alexander apparently got other food on his own while not under his mother's supervision.
    Exactly what can you do with a defiant 14 year old who would rather eat than do anything else? Do you imprison him? Do you homeschool him?

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    Rush is on a roll about porkers right now.
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

Power CUer
    Defending them? He isn't really in a position to take them to task.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Defending them? He isn't really in a position to take them to task.
    Oh, hush. He was talking about smokers then got in to the porker thing.

He's not fat anymore, btw.:mad:

Power CUer
    He may not be. The last time I saw him on TV was the CPAC meeting on 2/27, and he was an absolute moose. If he has lost a lot of weight in the last five months, then I am wrong.

"Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Power CUer
    It just occurred to me.... if Shannon says Rush isn't fat, this casts new light on her assessment of her own size.... hmmm....

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    It just occurred to me.... if Shannon says Rush isn't fat, this casts new light on her assessment of her own size.... hmmm....
    :mad:

I haven't seen him lately. A couple of weeks ago he said that he has lost some 70lbs. I just assumed that one wouldn't be fat anymore after losing so much weight.:o