Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Leading African American scholar arrested; demands apology 
    http://www.bostonherald.com/news/reg...86381&srvc=rss
    Henry Louis Gates Jr. demands apology, sensitivity training

Harvard professor Henry Louis Gates Jr. won’t rule out a lawsuit against the city of Cambridge, insisting not only that the cop who arrested him on a disorderly charge apologize but that the entire police force submit to sensitivity training, his lawyer told the Herald yesterday.

The demands came just hours after a mutual announcement by the city and Gates that the charge was being dismissed - with agreement Thursday’s incident was “regrettable and unfortunate” but that there had been a “just resolution.” The agreement made no mention of an apology or retraining.

Harvard Law professor Charles Ogletree, who is representing Gates, said the scholar remains upset about what happened, however, when he was first mistaken for a burglary suspect in his own home, and then arrested after allegedly shouting accusations of racism at the police officer.

“He’s still going through the shock of what happened,” he said. “It’s not easy for anyone to get over it and pretend it didn’t happen. He is pleased the charges were dismissed and very hopeful we can work constructively to address how police conduct themselves.”

Asked whether Gates was considering a lawsuit, Ogletree said, “That is to be determined.”

“I think the first step is . . . an apology,” he said.

Sgt. James Crowley could not be reached yesterday. Cambridge police, union and city officials refused to discuss the demands.

Of the demand for sensitivity training, Ogletree said, “We just need to find a way to re-establish that regular routine of engagement and dialogue with police. I see it as an opportunity to address some of the complex issues surrounding (the case).”

Yesterday’s agreement was issued by the city after Middlesex District Attorney Gerard T. Leone Jr., recognizing the situation was escalating into a powder keg, entreated Police Commissioner Robert Haas and Gates’ attorney Walter Prince to meet and resolve their differences Monday. They did, and emerged yesterday with police recommending the charge of disorderly conduct against Gates be dropped. That led to the joint statement. Leone declined to comment last night on Gates’ apparently new demands.

Meanwhile, Ogletree, who is director of the Charles Hamilton Houston Institute for Race and Justice at Harvard Law School, said he had discussed the matter with local police, the Middlesex DA’s office, the governor, the mayor of Cambridge and city councilors - and said all agreed to help turn the incident into a “teaching moment.”

Before news of Gates’ demands broke, Cambridge Mayor E. Denise Simmons said, “The incident did illustrate that Cambridge must continue finding ways to address matters of race and class in a frank, honest and productive manner.” Meanwhile, Gov. Deval Patrick, a friend of Gates, said, “It sounds like an amicable resolution.” Patrick declined to comment on Gates’ subsequent demands, saying, “Ask him about that.”

Meanwhile, in online interviews, Gates said that claims that he was publicly yelling at Sgt. Crowley are false, and that with a bronchial infection, he was not capable of shouting, a claim repeated to the Herald by Ogletree. Crowley’s report said Gates had refused to show his ID, which Gates also has denied.

A 55-year-old neighbor who said he witnessed the incident but declined to give his name, however, said that Gates was in fact yelling loudly, as indicated by a photo taken by another neighbor.

“When police asked him for ID, Gates started yelling, ‘I’m a Harvard professor . . . You believe white women over black men. This is racial profiling.’ ”

“The police did their job,” said the neighbor. “He should be thanking them. But they shouldn’t have arrested him. He had just gotten off a 20-hour flight. He couldn’t get his door open. He got frustrated . . . They should have just said forget it.”

Why I don't feel sorry for Henry Louis Gates

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32085686...and_ethnicity/

COMMENTARY
    By Dr. Boyce Watkins
    The Grio
    updated 1 hour, 22 minutes ago

..I might be kicked out of "The Black scholars club" for saying this, but the truth is that I don't feel sorry for Henry Louis Gates. America is far more capitalist than it is racist, so a distinguished Harvard University Professor like Gates is likely to get more respect than the average White American. The idea that he is somehow the victim of the same racism that sends poor Black men to prison simply doesn't fly with me, and Gates should be careful about appearing to exploit the plight of Black men across America to win his battle of egos with the Cambridge Police Department. At worst, Gates has been a victim of racial profiling by the woman who called the police, as well as the officer who may have interpreted his protests as being more belligerent than they actually were. The same thing happens to Black boys in the school system, who are suspended at astronomical rates for bad behavior. The fact that the charges have now been dropped against Gates shows that a mistake has clearly been made.

One can reasonably argue that Professor Gates would not have had this experience if he were a White woman who seemed to "belong" in the neighborhood. I've heard officers refer to the "invisible" line in our city, where the rich are protected from the poor, and those who don't seem to belong are arrested. By being Black, Gates surely crossed the invisible line in his community. However, once Gates proved to the officer that he was the owner of the home, the officer should have simply said "thank you" and left the premises.

One question that can't be answered is whether or not the officer was being verbally abused by the stereotypical Harvard arrogance of a man who felt that he was above being questioned. Dr. Gates, in all of his frustration, might have been served well to remember that the officer has a gun and that this situation could have been dealt with at a later date. Perhaps telling the officer that he "doesn't know who he's messing with" (as the officer alleges) was one way of making sure that the officer knew his place in the "Haaa-vad" (Harvard) pecking order. If that is the case, then I cannot sign off on Dr. Gates' reaction to the officer who may have been simply trying to do his job.

Basically, this situation may have been a battle of two egos: One of them from a Harvard professor who seemed to feel that he should not be disrespected by a lowly police officer; the other from an officer who seemed to feel that a powerful Black professor could be treated differently from a powerful White professor. What is abundantly clear is that this is NOT the case of a poor Black male being exploited by the racist, classist power structure. Perhaps the next time there is another Jena Six incident, Dr. Gates will fight as diligently for poor Black men as he is fighting for himself, and his fight will go beyond writing papers for academic journals that hardly anyone ever reads. I also hope that Cambridge police officers will give the same credibility to wealthy African Americans as they do to their White counterparts. This situation should never have happened.

Banned
    He was arrested in his house after providing ID.

The cop should be fired.

What do you expect from a police in a democrat controlled area?
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by satanica View Post
    He was arrested in his house after providing ID.
    This is the only thing on which you and I have ever agreed. Once the ID was provided, the officer should have left.

And this I agree with too:

But they shouldn’t have arrested him. He had just gotten off a 20-hour flight. He couldn’t get his door open. He got frustrated. . . They should have just said forget it.”
    http://www.bostonherald.com/news/reg...icleid=1186450
    Last edited by Elspeth; 07-22-2009 at 02:28 PM.

Union: Cop in Gates arrest a ‘good sergeant’

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/reg...icleid=1186450

The union representing the Cambridge police officer who arrested Harvard Professor Henry Louis Gates Jr. said today that he has the union’s “full and unqualified support.”

The statement is the first comment from the Cambridge Police Superior Officers Association on behalf of Sgt. James Crowley and makes no mention of Gates’ demand that the officer apologize for the arrest.

“The Association expresses its full and unqualified support for the actions taken by Sergeant Crowley in response to the report of a possible break in at a residence on Ware Street in Cambridge,” the statement read. “Sergeant Crowley is a highly respected veteran supervisor with a distinguished record in the Cambridge Police Department. His actions at the scene of this matter were consistent with his training, with the informed policies and practices of the Department, and with applicable legal standards.”...

Uh oh. The unions vs the race baiters - the dems have an inparty fight on their hands.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    Uh oh. The unions vs the race baiters - the dems have an inparty fight on their hands.
    Yes they do. This ought to be interesting to watch. I figure the union will lose.

I thought this comment from "The Root" was interesting:

http://www.theroot.com/views/skip-gates-speaks?page=5

An Educated Fool

I am a 61 year old educated black man who has been involved with civil rights since the early 60's. My life, from being born and raised in Harlem, has taken me to many campuses, in addition to being jailed in miserable places in the South and other parts of the country.
    On campuses from Berkeley to Harvard, there are professors who have made their living studying black culture, racism, etc. The sad point is most of them, including Dr. Gates, don't have a damn clue about black people because they live in a world of academia.
    Dr. Gates anger and screaming match is just his only way of trying to relate to blacks who are living the day-to-day life in the cities and streets. So Dr. Gates gets all hissy fit and starts shouting racism and creating a scene.
    His type is on every campus, I have met them in the courtrooms, they shout and jump, because they think "they relate to the common black man" by doing so.
    Dr. Gates makes a living by dwelling in the academic nature of racism and black studies (Whatever the heck those are). He does not live in a housing project, nor has he experienced racism first hand in Oxford, Mississippi, and instead, his relation to black experience is second-hand. And so, he feels he has to get up and shout in people's faces.
    Who cares if the police came to investigate a potential break-in? If the police didn't come and he had been robbed, Dr. Gates seems like the type who would claim the police wouldn't investigate robberies at black's homes because of racism. Because he dwells in the nature of his work, he does not know real life. He is, as my Grandmother Hattie used to say, "a damn educated fool."

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    I thought this comment from "The Root" was interesting:

http://www.theroot.com/views/skip-gates-speaks?page=5
    good find! :)