1. #1 What's this guy's DU nickname? 
    He quit rather than lower flag for Helms

RALEIGH - L.F. Eason III gave up the only job he'd ever had rather than lower a flag to honor former U.S. Sen. Jesse Helms.
    Eason, a 29-year veteran of the state Department of Agriculture, instructed his staff at a small Raleigh lab not to fly the U.S. or North Carolina flags at half-staff Monday, as called for in a directive to all state agencies by Gov. Mike Easley.

When a superior ordered the lab to follow the directive, Eason decided to retire rather than pay tribute to Helms. After several hours' delay, one of Eason's employees hung the flags at half-staff.

They had some interesting comments over there:

tularetom (1000+ posts) Wed Jul-09-08 12:07 PM
    Response to Original message
    2. What a crock of shit when a Dem governor's administration
    threatens to fire a government employee for refusing to honor a bigoted piece of dog crap like helms. I'll bet you at that pay grade he was not an "at will" employee and could have successfully fought any retaliatory action they took.

Regardless he's my hero of the day. Gov Mike Easley can kiss my ass. After he's through kissing jesse's pasty dead one.
    hendo (930 posts) Wed Jul-09-08 12:29 PM
    Response to Original message
    7. He was a government employee
    He may not have agreed with Helms (and who can blame him) but he has to follow the rules of his position. Government position means that you do what the government wants. You are constrained by your position just like any other bureaucrat. part of being in a government building is that you honor the death of a politician by flying the flag at half staff.

To not fly the flag at half staff, rather than just a protest of the individual would have been a lack of recognition for the office that individual held. Whether the man was a racist bastard or not he was still a senator.
    http://www.democraticunderground.com...ss=102x3387528
    This is bigger than presidential politics. This is a battle for America.

The DUmp seems to admire this man's delusional stance. I wonder if they would be as appreciative of a government employee who refused to honor the passing of Kennedy on the grounds that he was a drunken murderer?

Somehow, I doubt it.

The governor of a state sets the rules on when the flag is flown at half-mast unless the President has already done so for some reason. There's no way on earth that a division manager for weights and measures gets to set the rules.

If we had had a flag, I would've flown it at half-staff when Jesse Ventura ordered flags to be flown half-staff after Wellstone's death. It's not about the person's politics, liberals. It's about recognizing their service to their state and country and honoring their passing as a human being.
    OPEACHMENT NOW!!!

Stinger:
    "I was... ordered to drop my pants, bend over and spread my cheeks."
    --RagingInMiami achieving the DUmp's highest level of nirvana