1. #1 I think our weather is doing stuff! 
    ConcernedCanuk (1000+ posts) Thu Jul-23-09 06:06 PM
    Original message
    Climate Change - "global warming" is the wrong description I think

In my area, Northern Ontario - we have had very wet and cooler summers for the last 3 years.

I have lived in this area for almost 30 years

This kind of weather is very unusual - destroys crops and gardens - ergo FOOD.

I am curious to see if and what other DUers have noticed a change in their weather/environment.

Heck, (a good thing maybe) I noticed less bugs(ya know, them biting ones) this year.

But then again, I noticed less birds _ they live on bugs don't they?

Your thoughts/observations?
    http://www.democraticunderground.com...ss=389x6133694
    Heretic!
    xchrom (1000+ posts) Thu Jul-23-09 06:09 PM
    Response to Original message
    1. egg -- chicken --
    at this time in the planets history -- global warming is what's causing climate change.

but whatever you like.
    Excuse me! Lets not let facts get in the way. This science is settled!
    Saturday (1000+ posts) Thu Jul-23-09 06:12 PM
    3. It's the coldest July on record in Chicago.
    Farmers had a hard time getting their crops in this spring because of so much rain. Crops are smaller than usual for this time of year.
    I think what we have here is a failure to communicate!
    joeybee12 (1000+ posts) Thu Jul-23-09 06:18 PM
    4. Global warming is correct because the planet is getting warmer; however
    it is also disrupting normal weather patterns, hence some areas are cooler...a good example is what Fox and other idiots bring up...part of Antarctica is getting cooler...yes, a small area is, but over all antarctica is showing warmer temperatures.
    The voice of reason!

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Not to worry, I'm sure Teh Goracle will issue a Press Release
    soon to explain it all...:D
    May the FORCE be with you!

I deal with this all the time. Unlike most people, I have access to weather stats and models going way back in time. People were calling because of the destructive hail on Monday. It's - Climate Change! No, it isn't. We have a fairly strong El Nino and a depressed jet stream right now. We also have a solar minimum.

It means........nothing much. Sat temps have been declining since the turn of the century. El Nino is doing the expected monsoon things (which include destructive hail, tornado formation, and T-storms). Regional temps are down, actually. Continental temps are down with a few exceptions. Several persistent drought areas have completely recovered. It's pretty much normal. Or what passes for "normal".

Truthfully, there is no "normal" in weather. Some regions have persistent patterns that seem "normal" over longer periods of time. Other places, (like where I live) have abrupt pattern shifts normally.

You remember the good weather on your birthday and forget the bad weather on February 10th. You remember the snowstorm that made you 3 hours late on your commute but you forget the 25 other times on that date that there was no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    Not to worry, I'm sure Teh Goracle will issue a Press Release
    soon to explain it all...:D
    Simply amazing. The scam of Al Whore has raped the world of hundreds of millions of dollars for this fool.

I just wished I had the influence, and idea before him. :mad:

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    I deal with this all the time. Unlike most people, I have access to weather stats and models going way back in time. People were calling because of the destructive hail on Monday. It's - Climate Change! No, it isn't. We have a fairly strong El Nino and a depressed jet stream right now. We also have a solar minimum.

It means........nothing much. Sat temps have been declining since the turn of the century. El Nino is doing the expected monsoon things (which include destructive hail, tornado formation, and T-storms). Regional temps are down, actually. Continental temps are down with a few exceptions. Several persistent drought areas have completely recovered. It's pretty much normal. Or what passes for "normal".

Truthfully, there is no "normal" in weather. Some regions have persistent patterns that seem "normal" over longer periods of time. Other places, (like where I live) have abrupt pattern shifts normally.

You remember the good weather on your birthday and forget the bad weather on February 10th. You remember the snowstorm that made you 3 hours late on your commute but you forget the 25 other times on that date that there was no problem.
    Agreed. We have had more rain this July than in the last 15 years. Global warming...Errrrhhh. I mean climate change? No, it's the weather pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by Teetop View Post
    Simply amazing. The scam of Al Whore has raped the world of hundreds of millions of dollars for this fool.

I just wished I had the influence, and idea before him. :mad:
    Had you thought about it you still would not have done it. You like to sleep with a clear concience at night!

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Several persistent drought areas have completely recovered. It's pretty much normal. Or what passes for "normal".
    You got it. The entire Central FL area was going into a drought when I first moved to FL and it recovered. Same area (and others) in FL have been in a drought for the past 2-3 years and guess what? They're back. :D

Up here in St. Louis we're ahead of the game rainfall wise. The Northeast, they're calling it the year without a summer...again. I think the second year I was in FL Jersey had one of those summers where it never hit 90.

You believeres in "Climate Change" have been taken for a ride. Of course, they'll never admit they're wrong. That would kill all the grant money and make them laughing stocks.
    May the FORCE be with you!

I haven't seen a polar bear in weeks.

xchrom (1000+ posts) Thu Jul-23-09 06:09 PM
    1. egg -- chicken --
    at this time in the planets history -- global warming is what's causing climate change.

but whatever you like.
    Global warming doesn't cause climate change. Global warming would be climate change

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis