Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 229
  1. #1 Satanica explains the Healthcare basics. 
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,452
    There seems to be some confusion, so I am going to start a thread were we can discuss the issue.

    http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c111:H.R.+3200:

    The basics...

    1. If you have a private policy right now and the bill gets signed on Monday, you will NOT be able to alter your private policy in any way. This is because if you keep your current policy and just alter it, it still would not fall under the new rules and guidlines, and the new rules and guidlines is something you WANT in your policy. But if you DO want to keep it as is ...You can.

    2. "What rules and guidlines" ..good question, the bill isn't done yet, but here are a few.

    - The insurance companies CANNOT deny coverage when you have been paying for it.
    - The insurance companies CANNOT deny you for a pre-existing condition.
    - The insurance companies CANNOT pick and chose the healthiest people and just cover them

    3. Employer-sponsored plans will have five years to get in compliance with the new regulations, more than enough time to comply.

    4. If you want to keep your existing health coverage you can, if you want to change to another private policy then you can. If want to ignore the public option offered by the government, you can. But if you want a choice, then you will go shopping at the NIE (National Insurance Exchange) ..one giant outlet where everybody competes for your business, following the same rules and regulations... on a level playing field.

    The Private insurers will be there along side the public plan, you can compare their coverage and prices and make a rational decesion based on the facts before you.

    And for those who are confused about the "page 16 fear mongering" by Michelle Bachman .. Here is teh actual text from Page 16...

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    The actual text...OF PAGE 16


    (a) Grandfathered Health Insurance Coverage Defined- Subject to the succeeding provisions of this section, for purposes of establishing acceptable coverage under this division, the term `grandfathered health insurance coverage' means individual health insurance coverage that is offered and in force and effect before the first day of Y1 if the following conditions are met:
    This means that if you like your insurance you can keep it.

    (2) LIMITATION ON CHANGES IN TERMS OR CONDITIONS- Subject to paragraph (3) and except as required by law, the issuer does not change any of its terms or conditions, including benefits and cost-sharing, from those in effect as of the day before the first day of Y1.

    This means if you DO CHOSE to keep your insurance, you can't modify it.

    (1) IN GENERAL- Individual health insurance coverage that is not grandfathered health insurance coverage under subsection (a) may only be offered on or after the first day of Y1 as an Exchange-participating health benefits plan.


    And this means if you leave your job and lose your coverage, or if you just want to change coverage, you have to go to the NIE to buy new coverage. This coverage can be private or public.

    REAPEAT ...THIS NEW COVERAGE CAN BE PUBLIC OR PRIVATE, THE NIE (NATIONAL INSURANCE EXCHANGE) WILL BE A CLEARING HOUSE FOR HEALTH INSURANCE, YOU CAN CHOSE A PRIVATE OR PUBLIC PLAN .....BUT YOU DO HAVE TO GO TO THE (NIE) TO GET IT.

    YOU WILL BE FORCED TO GO TO THE NIE, BUT YOU WILL NOT BE FORCED TO BUY A PUBLIC PLAN
    Last edited by satanica; 07-24-2009 at 05:31 PM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Power CUer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    11,361
    This could actually be a useful thread, IF we all manage to behave ourselves. I'm very uncomfortable with not being able to make any alterations to a private plan. I don't want my insurance format or coverage to change. I'd like to extend other options to those who don't have insurance, but I'm fine with mine the way it is.

    In fact, if I changed anything, it would be to have a higher copay for my doctor visits, since I'm healthy and don't go very often. In exchange I'd be happier to pay a slightly lower premium in each pay period. However, that would count as an "alteration" to my current plan, which for some reason this bill does not want to allow me to have.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,452
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    This could actually be a useful thread, IF we all manage to behave ourselves. I'm very uncomfortable with not being able to make any alterations to a private plan. I don't want my insurance format or coverage to change. I'd like to extend other options to those who don't have insurance, but I'm fine with mine the way it is.

    In fact, if I changed anything, it would be to have a higher copay for my doctor visits, since I'm healthy and don't go very often. In exchange I'd be happier to pay a slightly lower premium in each pay period. However, that would count as an "alteration" to my current plan, which for some reason this bill does not want to allow me to have.
    Too late Sonnebend has moved it and I don't post in SLT when this is done.

    This was going to be a good thread, but the Aussie can't handle a debate.

    It's a shame, it really doesn't have to be this way, but here we are.

    In the next breath, I will be accused of not wanting to debate.

    Getting old and boring to be honest. Can we move this back and have a debate ?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Senior Member stsinner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,525
    What you Liberal jerks don't understand is that HEALTH INSURANCE IS NOT A RIGHT!!!! If you're too broke to afford health insurance, it's not everyone else's responsibility to give it to you, and this is why the "Public option" is so offensive to those of us who love the Constitution!! There are poor people who cannot afford things, and that's the way it should be! To think that a bum or a welfare mother should have the same level of anything as a working, middle class or rich person is ludicrous!!!

    Your life is the culmination of all the decisions you've made along the way, and if you're too damned poor to provide for yourself, then it's not my responsibility to do it for you..

    Obama is trying to make it so that poor people aren't poor, but not by putting them to work-he's trying to do it by giving them everyone else's stuff!!! Bullshit!!!!

    There is no health care crisis-there is not one American who does not have access to health care if they need it-not one!!
    Obama-if you're being run out of town, get out in front and pretend that it's a parade!!!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Sonnabend
    Guest
    Too late Sonnebend has moved it and I don't post in SLT when this is done.

    This was going to be a good thread, but the Aussie can't handle a debate.
    This is where your garbage, and you, belong.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    Power CUer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    11,361
    Quote Originally Posted by satanica View Post
    Too late Sonnebend has moved it and I don't post in SLT when this is done.

    This was going to be a good thread, but the Aussie can't handle a debate.

    It's a shame, it really doesn't have to be this way, but here we are.

    In the next breath, I will be accused of not wanting to debate.

    Getting old and boring to be honest. Can we move this back and have a debate ?
    The thread is still entirely visible. I don't think the category matters. Will you really go for style over substance on an important topic? Fortunately, we're getting time to digest the substance of this bill - which is not what the sponsors of it had in mind at all.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,452
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonnabend View Post
    This is where your garbage, and you, belong.
    **sigh, shakes head in disbelief**

    It didn't have to be this way.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    Sonnabend
    Guest
    It didn't have to be this way.
    If you want to know the cause, look in a mirror. You are responsible for your own actions.

    If you dont get that, then that's too fucking bad. You have a foul mouith and an even fouler attitude towards everyone here.

    Deal with it.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    Senior Member Molon Labe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Jihad Me At Hello
    Posts
    4,769
    Quote Originally Posted by satanica View Post
    There seems to be some confusion, so I am going to start a thread were we can discuss the issue.

    Blah blah bull shat follows..........
    Link please.

    I'm doubting you've actually read that monstrosity to even know what it says. Just like every other congress member.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown


    The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    Senior Member enslaved1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Kingman, Arizona, United States
    Posts
    1,221
    Quote Originally Posted by satanica View Post
    **sigh, shakes head in disbelief**

    It didn't have to be this way.
    You made your bed, now you get to lie in it.

    Let's assume what you say about the plan is true. Let's say Obamacare is the answer to the issues we have in our health insurance sector. Why don't the Dems and Obama want to put the bill on the table for full scrutiny by Congress, the press and the public? Why rush it through with as little detail as possible, planning to fill in the details later?
    Romans 6:18 You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness.

    Differences between Obama and God: God's plan to save us is actually written down for people to read. Rush Limbaugh.

    My blog: How Things Look From Here Politics, religion, random stuff, now on Wednesdays!
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •