Thread: My Thoughts – The ‘Gates” Affair

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jfor View Post
    The officer followed the dpet's policy. He wanted Gates out of the house to make sure that he(Gates) was not there against his will. .

This is an excellent point.

I know that the cops do check to see if you aren't being held against your will. A friend of mine once hit her speed dial button for 911. It was an accident, and don't ask me why she had 911 on speed dial. Anyhow, the cops showed up right away and, even though she told them it was an accident, they searched the entire apartment including the bathroom and bedroom to make sure that there wasn't really a perp in there forcing her to send the cops away.

Really good point, Jfor.

Resident Grump
    Wrong... Gates continued his verbal assault on the Sgt Crowley. The officer followed the dpet's policy. He wanted Gates out of the house to make sure that he(Gates) was not there against his will. When Gates went outside and continued his verbal assault, that is when disorderly conduct was slapped on him. If Gates had kept his mouth shut then there would have been no issue, there would have been no arrest, there would have been no news story.

So let me see if I have this right, when the police say jump...don't argue, don't ask questions- simply be meek, mild-mannered and obey instructions?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by meowmeow View Post
    So let me see if I have this right, when the police say jump...don't argue, don't ask questions- simply be meek, mild-mannered and obey instructions?
    Yes and if they are wrong take it up with his/her superiors later.

Resident Grump
    If asked to show ID in a situation like this, meow, screaming abuse at a cop gets you arrested under probable cause that a crime is being committed.

Not to mention that abusing a cop in itself is an arrestable offence.

Disorderly conduct.

Interfering with a police officer's investigation in lawful pursuit of his duties.

gator
    Quote Originally Posted by meowmeow View Post
    Let me see if I have this right. If you an uppity Professional Negro and friends with the President of the US you can pretty well be obnoxious to the police and disturb the peace and get away with it, right?

Resident Grump
    Let me see if I have this right. If you an uppity Professional Negro and friends with the President of the US you can pretty well be obnoxious to the police and disturb the peace and get away with it, right?
    "uppity?"

Gator, puh-leeze...

Quote Originally Posted by Sonnabend View Post
    If asked to show ID in a situation like this, meow, screaming abuse at a cop gets you arrested under probable cause that a crime is being committed.

Not to mention that abusing a cop in itself is an arrestable offence.

Disorderly conduct.

Interfering with a police officer's investigation in lawful pursuit of his duties.
    ID was shown in this case, and screaming at a cop is an everyday occurrence that does not necessarily impede them from performing their duty...it's not against the law to question authority. If a police officer showed up at the houses of the people here and asked the wrong questions, made the wrong demands...I believe anger would ensue. I believe that this love-fest for law and authority would disappear out the window. So there is a time to comply with a police request, a time to question an order, a time to protest a ruling, and a time to violently resist.

Like I said though, this particular situation is all about good people exercising extremely poor judgement.

gator
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonnabend View Post
    "uppity?"

Gator, puh-leeze...
    I could care less of your opinion.

However, incase meowmeow reads this I will elaborate.

The SOB was in charge of some stupid worthless black studies program at a filthy Northeast Liberal college. He is pretty well as worthless as they come. He is is the one that proved that he was uppity by being obnoxious to the police when they were there to protect his property.

Resident Grump
    I could care less of your opinion.
    Well, Gator, I could care less for yours. The use of "uppity professional Negro" is hardly appropriate.

The SOB was in charge of some stupid worthless black studies program at a filthy Northeast Liberal college. He is pretty well as worthless as they come. He is is the one that proved that he was uppity by being obnoxious to the police when they were there to protect his property
    "uppity"

"worthless"

Glad he wasnt Jewish as well.