1. #1 Generalized Police Bashing Needs to Stop 
    http://www.democraticunderground.com...ss=389x6150586
    MrBig (147 posts) Sat Jul-25-09 07:23 PM
    Original message
    Generalized Police Bashing Needs to Stop
    Edited on Sat Jul-25-09 07:25 PM by MrBig
    This is my first original post on DU. I've lurked here for quite awhile making the occasional post here and there, but I haven't been so disgusted by anything as much as I have by the complete generalized bashing of all law enforcement officers here.

It's important for all of you cop bashers/haters to keep in mind:

I don't doubt that you've had some terrible interactions with the police, and it might even be based on the racist/prejudicial beliefs of said officer(s). This does NOT, however, mean that ALL police officers are racist/prejudice. All of your interactions with police officers combined does not come close to equaling "most" or "all" police officers.

The generalizations that you are making about police officers are the same ones that led you to distrust police in the first place. Saying "all police are bad" is not true. Saying "most" police are bad isn't true unless you can show that there are at least 400,000 police officers that are bad. This is no different than saying "most poor people are lazy" or "most Muslims are terrorists". These are generalizations.

It is NOT progressive to generalize a group of people.

I don't know what happened with Mr. Gates and Officer Crowley. I'll even say I believe Officer Crowley overreacted. I don't believe there were any racial motivations on the part of Officer Crowley, but even if there were you cannot take that attribute and put it on most or all police officers. It's simply wrong.

I just needed to get that off my chest. Hopefully we can have better discourse on the subject than has been seen recently.
    That took guts!
    izquierdista (1000+ posts) Sat Jul-25-09 07:46 PM
    Response to Reply #1
    25. Yes, fuck'em
    I'm glad you are so quick with an appropriate comment.

If cops don't want to be painted with a broad brush, they can tear down their fuckin "blue wall" and get rid of the assholes in their midst. In some departments it might only be 10%, and in others it may be 80 or 90%, but citizens should demand 0%. Cops who have drinking problems, cops who have domestic violence histories, cops who have lied in reports or in court, they all need to go. Being an organization that is given the authority to enforce laws, they have taken that for granted and forgotten that in modern democratic society, authority is never granted by status alone, but has to be earned.
    Fire_Medic_Dave (1000+ posts) Sat Jul-25-09 07:48 PM
    Response to Reply #1
    28. Like that "outstanding" racist officer that gets to visit the White House and have a beer with Obama

Alert Printer Friendly | Permalink | Reply | Top

Raineyb (1000+ posts) Sat Jul-25-09 08:23 PM
    Response to Reply #28
    102. Apparently if you're a pig and you whine on national television you get to
    have a beer with the president. Nice way to reward fucktardery.
    Bunch of animals.
    TorchTheWitch (1000+ posts) Sat Jul-25-09 07:54 PM
    Response to Reply #2
    37. oh bullshit
    This bigoted general police bashing has NEVER been allowed here just as no other broad-brush bigoted posts are...

"Content: Do not post messages that are inflammatory, extreme, divisive, incoherent, or otherwise inappropriate. Do not engage in anti-social, disruptive, or trolling behavior. Do not post broad-brush, bigoted statements. The moderators and administrators work very hard to enforce some minimal standards regarding what content is appropriate. But please remember that this is a large and diverse community that includes a broad range of opinion. People who are easily offended, or who are not accustomed to having their opinions (including deeply personal convictions) challenged may not feel entirely comfortable here. A thick skin is necessary to participate on this or any other discussion forum."

In case you don't know what a bigot is...

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bigot
    big·ot
    noun

a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially: one who regards or treats the members of a group (as in a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance

Nevertheless, for some reason general bigoted statements against the police in general have been rampant here for years, and YES, it DOES need to stop.
    There are a few with some sense!

My belief about cops:

When they are rescuing people from wrecked cars and arresting or shooting rapists and murderers, they are heroes.

When they are giving me a speeding ticket, they are pig bastards. I don't tell them that, however, I usually apologize profusely for not paying attention better to the speed I was driving.

It is NOT progressive to generalize a group of people.
    The hell it's not! It's how the progressives got prohibition and so many other laws passed by generalizing about people. Fool needs to learn his history.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

izquierdista (1000+ posts) Sat Jul-25-09 07:46 PM
    Response to Reply #1
    25. Yes, fuck'em
    I'm glad you are so quick with an appropriate comment.

If politicians don't want to be painted with a broad brush, they can tear down their fuckin "blue wall" and get rid of the assholes in their midst. In some states it might only be 10%, and in others it may be 80 or 90%, but citizens should demand 0%. Politicians who have drinking problems, politicians who have domestic violence histories, politicians who have lied in reports or in court, they all need to go. Being an organization that is given the authority to enforce laws, they have taken that for granted and forgotten that in modern democratic society, authority is never granted by status alone, but has to be earned.
    How's that?
    Romans 6:18 You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness.

Differences between Obama and God: God's plan to save us is actually written down for people to read. Rush Limbaugh.

My blog: How Things Look From Here Politics, religion, random stuff, now on Wednesdays!