Hybrid View

1. #1 "Lies and Arrogance Killed My Nephew" 
    Two different views of the death of a soldier

babylonsister (1000+ posts) Sun Jun-01-08 01:46 PM
    Original message
    "Lies and Arrogance Killed My Nephew"
    http://www.afterdowningstreet.org/node/33813

Lies and Arrogance Killed My Nephew
    Submitted by davidswanson on Sun, 2008-06-01 16:09.

By PATRICK V. FARROW

Because of the arrogant, corrupt lies of George W. Bush and his neocon handlers my nephew is dead, and I am mad as hell. My nephew, my sister's son, died in Iraq a few days before this Memorial Day.

Jason Dene was not killed by enemy fire nor friendly fire but by Bush's brutal and cynical stop-loss program.

Jason grew up in Orwell and Rutland. He was in his mid-30s, a career Army officer due retire next month. His wife and children were planning his homecoming.

Because of Bush's abusive stop-loss policy, Jason had been sent into an unwanted third tour of duty. He was a father of three and could not afford to lose his pension. Some "volunteer Army".
    But his Dad recalls:

Jason Dene recalled: 'He was a warrior'

May 30, 2008

Terry Deane said his son, Jason Dene, would not have wanted to die in bed.

"He would have rather died, I'm sure, on top of his Humvee with his machine gun in his hand," Deane said Thursday.

The Department of Defense announced Wednesday that Dene, 37, a sergeant first class serving with the 3rd Infantry Division, died during the weekend following a "noncombat related incident."

Dene's mother is Tisa Farrow of Castleton, sister of actress Mia Farrow. His father lives in Akron, Ohio, and Dene's widow and three children live in Fort Stewart, Ga., where his unit is based. Deane said the funeral will be in Colorado, where Mrs. Dene's family lives.

Deane spoke fondly of his son Thursday. A film producer, Deane said he and his son had different spellings to their last names because he added an "a" to his name when union rules forced him to distinguish himself from a performer named Terry Dene.

"Jason was a boy who wanted to be a soldier from the time he grew up," Deane said. "He was constantly playing war games and things like that."
    Dene served two tours in Iraq, Deane said, training soldiers about to deploy there in between.
    http://www.rutlandherald.com/apps/pb...85/1002/NEWS01

SFC Dene, thank you for your service. Prayers for your family.

I thank him for his service too. It's people like him that make me feel both proud and lucky to be an American. His family's loss is also a loss for our entire country. We need more fine men like him. It also took a strong father to write that about his own son.

Did anyone notice that the family member blaming Bush for his death claimed that he was an officier that was forced into another tour? They were definitely wrong about his rank, the tour being mandatory could be true. I can sympathyze with their sense of loss but, when the father countered with better facts, it does put things into perspective.