Thread: Thursday

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 39
  1. #1 Thursday 
    Senior Member DarkScribe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Sunshine State
    Posts
    787
    A story on Fox News this morning gave me the idea for this thread....apparently being a nerd is now cool...

    TOTD: In high school, what were you? Nerd? Jock? Rocker? Part of the Cool, Party Crowd? Somewhere in between?

    I would fall into the "in between" category (although Shannon would say I was definitely a nerd) because I was friends with and hung out with everyone in those classifications. I was a quiet, somewhat shy and introverted teenager...but did play some sports and went to parties, etc.
    "The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." H.P. Lovecraft in Supernatural Horror in Literature
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Hartford, CT USA
    Posts
    2,024
    Sunny and hot today in the metropolis. Getting ready to tutor my girlfriend in driving to work and come back with the car. Productive day yesterday in the pub! :D

    TOTD: Good topic, DS. In HS, many years ago, I was a bit like the Christian Slater character in Heathers.

    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Goldwater
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkScribe View Post
    TOTD: In high school, what were you? Nerd? Jock? Rocker? Part of the Cool, Party Crowd? Somewhere in between?
    I was always that Bill Murray from Ghostbusters character, crazy and odd, yet fun cool and hip to party with.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    5,455
    I would say you were a nerd because you were a nerd, dear. I'm not sure what category would describe me best. People feared me and wanted to be my friends.:p
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Patent Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    1,784
    #include <stdio>

    #define MAX_STRING_LENGTH = 20
    #define MAX_GRADE = 12
    #define IS_DORK = 1
    #define IS_JOCK = 2
    #define IS_ROCKER = 3
    #define IS_PARTIER = 4
    #define IS_OTHER = 5

    struct student
    { char name[MAX_STRING_LENGTH]; int grade; short int status; int rank; }

    int main()
    {
    char buf[MAX_STRING_LENGTH];
    int i;
    struct student biccat {"", 12, 1, 100};

    strcpy("biccat",biccat.name);

    for(i=0;i<IS_OTHER;i++)
    if (biccat.status == i)
    break;

    switch i
    { case IS_DORK:
    strcpy("dork",buf);
    break;
    case IS_JOCK:
    strcpy("jock",buf);
    break;
    case IS_ROCKER:
    strcpy("rocker",buf);
    break;
    case IS_PARTIER:
    strcpy("partier",buf);
    break;
    default:
    strcpy("other",buf);
    break;
    }

    printf("%s was a %s in high school.",biccat.name,buf);
    return 0;
    }
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    Senior Member DarkScribe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Sunshine State
    Posts
    787
    Quote Originally Posted by biccat View Post
    #include <stdio>

    #define MAX_STRING_LENGTH = 20
    #define MAX_GRADE = 12
    #define IS_DORK = 1
    #define IS_JOCK = 2
    #define IS_ROCKER = 3
    #define IS_PARTIER = 4
    #define IS_OTHER = 5

    struct student
    { char name[MAX_STRING_LENGTH]; int grade; short int status; int rank; }

    int main()
    {
    char buf[MAX_STRING_LENGTH];
    int i;
    struct student biccat {"", 12, 1, 100};

    strcpy("biccat",biccat.name);

    for(i=0;i<IS_OTHER;i++)
    if (biccat.status == i)
    break;

    switch i
    { case IS_DORK:
    strcpy("dork",buf);
    break;
    case IS_JOCK:
    strcpy("jock",buf);
    break;
    case IS_ROCKER:
    strcpy("rocker",buf);
    break;
    case IS_PARTIER:
    strcpy("partier",buf);
    break;
    default:
    strcpy("other",buf);
    break;
    }

    printf("%s was a %s in high school.",biccat.name,buf);
    return 0;
    }
    WTF, dude....you telling us you were a computer geek?
    "The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." H.P. Lovecraft in Supernatural Horror in Literature
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    Power CUer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    11,399
    I was probably "in between". I wasn't a jockette and I wasn't a stoner; it was a small private girls' school, and we all had to live together. :)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    Patent Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    1,784
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkScribe View Post
    WTF, dude....you telling us you were a computer geek?
    I was a HUGE dork in high school.

    Still am actually :D
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,071
    I was mainly the socially awkward nerd.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    22,891
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkScribe View Post
    A story on Fox News this morning gave me the idea for this thread....apparently being a nerd is now cool...

    TOTD: In high school, what were you? Nerd? Jock? Rocker? Part of the Cool, Party Crowd? Somewhere in between?

    I would fall into the "in between" category (although Shannon would say I was definitely a nerd) because I was friends with and hung out with everyone in those classifications. I was a quiet, somewhat shy and introverted teenager...but did play some sports and went to parties, etc.
    Did you ever go 'Skinnie Dipping 'with the girls ?
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •