Here Comes The Bride ... And Her Sponsors

By LARA BRENCKLE
Megan White and Brent Watkins are trying to plan a wedding amid financial strains such as college debts. A corporate donor or two might make that process slightly less stressful, she said. c.2008 Newhouse News Service

Just about every girl planning her wedding hopes there's a fairy godmother out there to help her create the perfect day.

Some rely on good old mom. Others hire a wedding planner.

For Megan White and Danielle King, the fairy godmother just might come with shareholders and an advertising department. They are on the rising tide of brides who are willing to give corporations a spot on the guest list in exchange for access to their deep pockets to fund the celebration.

White, 21, of Perkasie, Pa., and her fiance Brent Watkins, 24, of Wellsboro, Pa., are trying to plan a wedding amid financial strains such as college debts. White said she got the sponsorship idea from a mother she baby-sits for.

(snip)

"I'm not trying to commercialize my wedding, I'm just trying to graduate college and be able to afford it," she wrote.

King, 22, of Waynesburg, Pa., said she got the idea as she and her father watched a "Good Morning America" segment about Kelly Gray of Virginia Beach, who late last month auctioned off her last remaining bridesmaid spot to Dr. Pepper/Snapple in return for cash, drinks for the reception and the possibility of a "special guest."

"My dad turned to me and said I should do something like that," said King, who is seeking a full-time teaching job. "About five minutes later I got the idea (for sponsorship). Both my parents thought it was a great idea. My fiancee thought I was crazy."

She eventually won over David Schrader, 23, of West Finley, Pa., King said.

The couple thought posting their sponsorship on eBay was a whole lot more fun than going to the bank for a loan — the option they are considering if no company offers to sponsor.
Whatever happened to the backyard Wedding/BBQ combo for the young and impoverished?

Newhouse