Thread: London Broil :)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    thank you. It was ;) this is actually the same menu I made for Easter Monday dinner when we had a bunch of friends over after the holiday. :)
    For the life of me I can not make mashed potatoes. I either under cook them or overcook them. I swear each time that I'm not going to do it and simply buy the pre-made kind. But come on, it's mashed potatoes...how can you screw them up?

This weekend I made a six course meal. Everything was great...except the mashed potatoes! My dinner guest was too polite to say so...just commented that a hand masher would probably work better.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillygirl View Post
    For the life of me I can not make mashed potatoes. I either under cook them or overcook them. I swear each time that I'm not going to do it and simply buy the pre-made kind. But come on, it's mashed potatoes...how can you screw them up?

This weekend I made a six course meal. Everything was great...except the mashed potatoes! My dinner guest was too polite to say so...just commented that a hand masher would probably work better.
    try making them with the cream cheese and sour cream next time. It makes a world of difference.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    This thread had too many green bean pics. I feel nauseous.

Philly- mashed potatoes? Seriously?
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    The taters look really good too.
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

try making them with the cream cheese and sour cream next time. It makes a world of difference.
    Will do. This time I put sour cream in them, but that just made them more liquidy. However, I used them later on to put in my "leftover" clam chowder. Worked out pretty well as a thickener for the soup and some potato flavor (since I didn't have any potatoes left to chop up)...plus, the undercooked parts showed up a little in the soup as cubed potatoes. Waste not, want not.

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    This thread had too many green bean pics. I feel nauseous.

Philly- mashed potatoes? Seriously?
    I know...I know.

You did good kid! That plate looks too crowded! :D Howd you know I was cooking tonite!?! :D

: “Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.”
    ” Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillygirl View Post
    Will do. This time I put sour cream in them, but that just made them more liquidy. However, I used them later on to put in my "leftover" clam chowder. Worked out pretty well as a thickener for the soup and some potato flavor (since I didn't have any potatoes left to chop up)...plus, the undercooked parts showed up a little in the soup as cubed potatoes. Waste not, want not.
    I never worry about over cooking. I boil them until they are very soft - then I hand mash them. They I hit them with the beaters and get most of the lumps out - THEN I add the butter - pre-melted or soft - and once that is beaten in - THEN I add the liquid if I'm going to make them that way - and I add only a little at a time. BTW - half & half - great in mashed potatoes. ALSO - if you have a problem with them being too thin - keep some instant on hand. YOU can always use the instant to thicken up runny mashed taters. IDAHOAN brand. I get em at Sam's Club. come in a big paper gallon . . . . great for when you have to cook for 30 or more.

Quote Originally Posted by patriot45 View Post
    You did good kid! That plate looks too crowded! :D Howd you know I was cooking tonite!?! :D
    That's my plate. Man sized helpings :p notice no drips or spills or puddles . . . :p

I never worry about over cooking. I boil them until they are very soft - then I hand mash them. They I hit them with the beaters and get most of the lumps out - THEN I add the butter - pre-melted or soft - and once that is beaten in - THEN I add the liquid if I'm going to make them that way - and I add only a little at a time. BTW - half & half - great in mashed potatoes. ALSO - if you have a problem with them being too thin - keep some instant on hand. YOU can always use the instant to thicken up runny mashed taters. IDAHOAN brand. I get em at Sam's Club. come in a big paper gallon . . . . great for when you have to cook for 30 or more.
    What kind of potatoes do you use? I tried Yukon Gold this time, instead of the baking potatoes, hoping for a better result.

Oh...and I use the term "rustic" too....when I'm too lazy to peel them! :)