1. #1 Johnson dies at 68 
    PHILADELPHIA -- Jim Johnson, whose attacking defenses helped the Philadelphia Eagles to one Super Bowl appearance and five NFC title games, has died. He was 68.

Johnson had taken a leave of absence from the team in May as he continued to battle a cancerous tumor on his spine. The Eagles announced his death on Tuesday afternoon.

Eagles defensive coordinator Jim Johnson had taken a leave of absence from the team in May as he continued to battle a cancerous tumor on his spine.
    A veteran of 22 years as an NFL assistant, Johnson was considered one of the top defensive minds in the league, known for complex schemes that confused opponents and pressured the quarterback from every angle. His defenses consistently ranked among the best in the league, including last season, when the Eagles finished third in total defense and fell one victory short of the Super Bowl.

From 2000-08, Johnson's Philadelphia defenses ranked second in the NFL in sacks (390). During his 10-year tenure, the Eagles made the playoffs seven times and he produced 26 Pro Bowl selections.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4362252

I'm no Eagles fan, but you have to admire the schemes Johnson devised. As much as I don't like to watch McNabb play, I loved to watch the defense.

OK, Lars, Poli, let the pissing contest begin.:D
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Very nice man. Last year I plowed down his mailbox and lamppost. He called me from Florida to ask how I was doing.

My condolences to his family. He and his wife really seemed to be class acts.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillygirl View Post
    Very nice man. Last year I plowed down his mailbox and lamppost. He called me from Florida to ask how I was doing.

My condolences to his family. He and his wife really seemed to be class acts.
    When he found out you were a lawyer, he probably called to make sure you wouldn't sue him for putting the mailbox there. Just kidding. That was nice of him to call.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Power CUer
    Never heard of him, but it sounds like a dreadful way to go.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    When he found out you were a lawyer, he probably called to make sure you wouldn't sue him for putting the mailbox there. Just kidding. That was nice of him to call.
    Heh! I didn't know who he was. His neighbor, (whose mailbox, lightpost, and electrical box I likewise took out) told me. But he and his wife really were very nice. I'm sure they were also thankful that I didn't land in their dining room, as that was the route I was on, if not for the electrical box.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post

OK, Lars, Poli, let the pissing contest begin.:D
    nope. No pissing contests over this.

Eternal rest grant unto him O Lord . . .
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    nope. No pissing contests over this.

Eternal rest grant unto him O Lord . . .
    I am shocked.... but glad

Quote Originally Posted by Lars1701a View Post
    I am shocked.... but glad
    I'm a Steelers fan. We have class.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    I'm a Steelers fan. We have class.
    Well maybe all but the QB.