Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 The 10th Amendment/State's Rights movement continues to grow.... 
    Back in March, I posted (over at my place) a topic regarding the initial "rumblings" of a small number of state governments reasserting their 10th Amendment rights.

Since that time, the movement has grown, and more and more states have joined in the slow-roll uprising against the big government over-reach that didn't begin with Obama, but is finally being taken to task.

Recently, the states of Ohio, Nebraska, Texas, and Alaska have all made moves to tell big government to back-off.

And now, we can add Wyoming to that list:
    Wyoming Governor Calls for 10th Amendment Resolution
    Posted on 28 July 2009

Wyoming Governor Dave Freudenthal today transmitted the following memorandum and proposed resolution on state sovereignty to the Wyoming Legislature’s Management Council.

MEMORANDUM

To: Management Council Members
    Date: July 28, 2009
    Re: Sovereignty Resolution

As you know, individual states have been adopting Sovereignty Resolutions over the past few years. Such resolutions have been considered by the Wyoming Legislature over the years as well. Representative Illoway is working on one for this session.

The attached version expands slightly on the versions currently circulating. The resolution includes a list of specific federal laws and a reference to the idea that retaining lands in federal ownership runs afoul of the “equal footing” doctrine. I am enclosing a possible resolution for your consideration. Clearly this is ultimately a legislative prerogative.

From time to time we all wonder whether sending resolutions to Washington, DC really does any good. On the other hand, it’s nice to at least get our view on the record.

DRAFT

A JOINT RESOLUTION requesting Congress to cease and desist from enacting mandates that are beyond the scope of the enumerated powers granted to Congress by the Constitution of the United States.

WHEREAS, the Tenth Amendment to the Constitution of the United States reads as follows: “The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people”; and

WHEREAS, the Tenth Amendment defines the total scope of federal power as being that specifically granted by the Constitution of the United States and no more; and

WHEREAS, the scope of power defined by the Tenth Amendment means that the federal government was created by the states specifically to be an agent of the states; and

WHEREAS, today, in 2010, the states are demonstrably treated as agents of the federal government; and

WHEREAS, many powers assumed by the federal government and federal mandates are directly in violation of the Tenth Amendment to the Constitution of the United States; and

WHEREAS, the Tenth Amendment assures that we, the people of the United States of America and each sovereign state in the union of states, now have, and have always had, rights the federal government may not usurp; and

WHEREAS, section 4, article IV, of the Constitution provides, “The United States shall guarantee to every State in this Union a Republican Form of Government,” and the Ninth Amendment provides, “The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people”; and

WHEREAS, the United States Supreme Court has ruled in New York v. United States, 505 U.S. 144 (1992), that Congress may not simply commandeer the legislative and regulatory processes of the states; and

WHEREAS, the Congress of the United States frequently considers and passes laws, and the executive agencies of the federal government frequently promulgate regulations, the constitutional authority for which is either absent or tenuous, including, without limitation, the Real ID Act (which imposes significant unfunded mandates upon the states with respect to the traditional state function of driver’s licensing), the Endangered Species Act (which, as construed by the United States Fish & Wildlife Service, authorizes a federal executive agency to require specific legislation related to the traditional state function of wildlife management), the Clean Water Act (which, as construed by the Environmental Protection Agency, authorizes a federal executive agency to exercise regulatory jurisdiction over waters which are not subject to federal regulation), the Federal Land Policy and Management Act (which implements a policy of federal lands retention in derogation of the “equal footing” doctrine); and

WHEREAS, a number of proposals from previous administrations and some now pending from the present administration and from Congress may further violate the Constitution of the United States;

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED BY THE MEMBERS OF THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF WYOMING:

Section 1. That the Wyoming Legislature claims sovereignty under the Tenth Amendment to the Constitution of the United States over all powers not otherwise enumerated and granted to the federal government by the Constitution of the United States.

Section 2. That this resolution serve as notice and demand to the federal government, as our agent, to cease and desist, effective immediately, from enacting mandates that are beyond the scope of these constitutionally delegated powers.

Section 3. That all compulsory federal legislation that directs the states to comply under threat of civil or criminal penalties or sanctions or that requires states to pass legislation or lose federal funding be prohibited or repealed.

Section 4. That the Secretary of State of Wyoming transmit copies of this resolution to the President of the United States, the President of the Senate and Speaker of the House of Representatives of the United States Congress and to the Wyoming Congressional Delegation, with a request that this resolution be officially entered in the congressional record as a memorial to the Congress of the United States of America.
    Got Tea?
    "It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people’s minds."
    — Samuel Adams
    All Sides Political Forums

But.....

Will it go beyond words on paper?

And will are any of these states willing to push it to the highest level?

As tragic and painful as it will be, I find myself wishing more and more that someone does show themselves willing to go to that nuclear option (secession). Washington has been in sad shape for many years, on both sides of the aisle, We The People have gotten lazy,apathetic, and ignorant of how this country was intended to be run, and the rest of the world seems to be waiting for the whole thing to collapse and come in and cash in their loans.

But maybe I'm just being overly negative today.....
    Romans 6:18 You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness.

Differences between Obama and God: God's plan to save us is actually written down for people to read. Rush Limbaugh.

My blog: How Things Look From Here Politics, religion, random stuff, now on Wednesdays!

Quote Originally Posted by enslaved1 View Post
    But.....

Will it go beyond words on paper?

And will are any of these states willing to push it to the highest level?

As tragic and painful as it will be, I find myself wishing more and more that someone does show themselves willing to go to that nuclear option (secession). Washington has been in sad shape for many years, on both sides of the aisle, We The People have gotten lazy,apathetic, and ignorant of how this country was intended to be run, and the rest of the world seems to be waiting for the whole thing to collapse and come in and cash in their loans.

But maybe I'm just being overly negative today.....
    Indeed....you've a right to be that negative. I know I've certainly been that negative.

But - I'm 41 years old, and I cannot remember a time when we've been this close to secession, nor can I remember a time when the very idea of secession seemed more reasonable every day.

I think the more Obama and the dems ignore the citizens...and the more the RINOs ignore the citizens...the more we'll see this kind of thing. This, along with the "Tea Parties" and the "Going Galt" movements.

I view the reasserting of state's rights to be the 1st legal and logical step in the constitutionally-protected process of secesssion. And much to the shagrin of liberals everywhere - this didn't start with Obama. Obama has only made things worse.

Government has abused the citizens of this country, ignored them and betrayed them, for far too long. They are out of control. They are not listening. We call them, we email them, we fax them, and we write them, and we tell them when we're in favor and not in favor of a particular piece of legislation....and yet - they ignore us.

That is not....NOT...the way this country is supposed to run!

Feigning ignorance of what the people want isn't going to work anymore.
    They need to hear our voices....now, more than ever.

If that means secession, then let it come.
    If that means reformation/amending of the constitution, then let it come.

But for God's sake...let a thing come....before we lose our ability to say anything at all.
    "It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people’s minds."
    — Samuel Adams

Power CUer
    I'll wait to get concerned when the list contains a state I'd care about losing. So far.... not. :)
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Banned
    Those are subsidized states. (save Texas)

I would love to cut off the money to these traitors and let them die.

And when they try and flee their new country because it is crashing.

I will be at the US border surrounding their nation ready to gun them down as they cross the border.

Go ahead , I dare you guys.

Like most of these idiotic states ,...the PEOPLE are against it.

Quote Originally Posted by satanica View Post

I will be at the US border surrounding their nation ready to gun them down as they cross the border.

So if you are willing to murder American citizens, why aren't willing to stand guard at our southern bordern to stop the invasion by illegal aliens into this country? All talk you are.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    I'll wait to get concerned when the list contains a state I'd care about losing. So far.... not. :)
    Think about it,.

A handfull of red states break away, they take their electoral votes with them

The GOP never wins another general election.

Go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Losing?

So,...If a group of states decided to initiate the constitutionally-protected process of secession - you would be on the OTHER side of what they are defending?
    — Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by satanica View Post

I get what you're saying, but YOU can't say that. YOU are a subsidized individual. Ever hear of the word hypocrit?
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jfor View Post
    So if you are willing to murder American citizens, why aren't willing to stand guard at our southern bordern to stop the invasion by illegal aliens into this country? All talk you are.
    If they break away and form their own nation...

They will NOT be American citizens

Are we clear ?