Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Iraq says may agree timetable for U.S. withdrawal 
    Mon Jul 7, 2008 10:54am EDT
    By Dean Yates and Ahmed Rasheed

BAGHDAD (Reuters) - Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki raised the prospect on Monday of setting a timetable for the withdrawal of U.S. troops as part of negotiations over a new security agreement with Washington.

It was the first time the U.S.-backed Shi'ite-led government has floated the idea of a timetable for the removal of American forces from Iraq. The Bush administration has always opposed such a move, saying it would give militant groups an advantage.

The security deal under negotiation will replace a U.N. mandate for the presence of U.S. troops that expires on December 31.

http://www.reuters.com/article/topNe...rpc=22&sp=true
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Quote Originally Posted by LogansPapa View Post
    Mon Jul 7, 2008 10:54am EDT
    By Dean Yates and Ahmed Rasheed

BAGHDAD (Reuters) - Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki raised the prospect on Monday of setting a timetable for the withdrawal of U.S. troops as part of negotiations over a new security agreement with Washington.

It was the first time the U.S.-backed Shi'ite-led government has floated the idea of a timetable for the removal of American forces from Iraq. The Bush administration has always opposed such a move, saying it would give militant groups an advantage.

The security deal under negotiation will replace a U.N. mandate for the presence of U.S. troops that expires on December 31.

http://www.reuters.com/article/topNe...rpc=22&sp=true
    I still believe fixed timetables are a bad idea, however I do think we should draw down some non-essential units very soon in the future. I've got no doubts that my current 7 months here in Iraq are gonna last the full 7 months, we're not coming home early lol. We can't and wont accept defeat over here, even Obama wont let this turn out like how the government disgraced our Boys in Vietnam, we wont leave without some measure of a full total victory. :D
    "Don't vote. It only encourages the bastards." -PJ O'Roarke

Well said, marinejcksn. All the best of luck and strength to you and your mission.
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

The big Cheese
    Quote Originally Posted by marinejcksn View Post
    I still believe fixed timetables are a bad idea, however I do think we should draw down some non-essential units very soon in the future. I've got no doubts that my current 7 months here in Iraq are gonna last the full 7 months, we're not coming home early lol. We can't and wont accept defeat over here, even Obama wont let this turn out like how the government disgraced our Boys in Vietnam, we wont leave without some measure of a full total victory. :D
    Well said for a jarhead ;)
    Be safe brother.
    One does not greet death when he knocks at your door.

Nay you repeatedly punch him in the throat as he slowly drags you away.

Yeah, timetables are bogus. The troop withdrawl should be goal-oriented.
    OPEACHMENT NOW!!!

Stinger:
    "I was... ordered to drop my pants, bend over and spread my cheeks."
    --RagingInMiami achieving the DUmp's highest level of nirvana

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    We leave when every last drop of Iraqi crude is safely
    stored in the holds of the Black Halliburton Tanker Fleet
    lead by Adm. Rove. :mad::D
    May the FORCE be with you!

Fixed timetables are a bad idea unless the war is won, in which case, you want a schedule for withdrawal. PM Maliki is declaring victory.

Have a good tour, and let me know if you see a haji copy of the first season of Rome.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Fixed timetables are a bad idea unless the war is won, in which case, you want a schedule for withdrawal. PM Maliki is declaring victory.

Have a good tour, and let me know if you see a haji copy of the first season of Rome.
    Exactly. Well said Sir.

Also, I've already got Seasons 1 & 2 downloaded to my external hard drive from the media center out here.;)

Exactly. Well said Sir.

Also, I've already got Seasons 1 & 2 downloaded to my external hard drive from the media center out here.;)
    What else do you need?

Quote Originally Posted by AmPat View Post
    What else do you need?
    If I could just find a way to get a cold Coors and some of my girl's Teriyaki Chicken I'd be all set!