Thread: McCain rejects comments from economic adviser

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    ^--- This is what I mean by the idiots that buy into the hullabaloo being an equally large part of the problem.

vetwife.... Do you drink a gallon of milk and burn a gallon of gas an hour?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by vetwife View Post
    Hmmmm. so if you make 7.00 an hour and pay 4 for gas and 4 for milk, what do you call it, an economic boom?
    I had a classmate in the mid 70's that had a wife and without any scholarship or help from his parents, put himself thru college working 7 days a week and around a 80 per week at a 7/11 as an assistant manager. So if you want to get off your lazy ass, tone your skills and your still making 7 bucks an hour you are one dumb ass or just plain lazy. Conclusion, opportunity is where it knocks in the good times and in the NOT SO GOOD ECONOMIC TIMES.

I think P. G. should add that some folks are not only in a mental recession but have a mentally depression problem whether we are in an economic boom or an economic bust.
    Last edited by lacarnut; 07-10-2008 at 09:28 PM.

Hmmmm. so if you make 7.00 an hour and pay 4 for gas and 4 for milk, what do you call it, an economic boom?
    It means if you want a gal of gas & a gal of milk you better show up for more than 2 hrs of work. Actually more because the govt gets their cut of your check before you do,
    The 21st century. The age of Smart phones and Stupid people.

It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

I call it "time to look for a better job...or one much closer to home." Seriously, my 19 year old kid makes $7 an hour...on her first job...which she's had for a total of 4 weeks.

Down around your area, wages are slightly lower than here...about 50 cents an hour, on most of the reports I've seen. If she was in Nebraska, she'd have started at 7.50 or more...with nothing but a GED, no skills.

Any adult with any decent work history and a few skills would be pulling in way more than $7. In fact, I fully expect my kid to go up a couple dollars within the next couple years. If she were willing to do harder labor, she could easily make $10 or 12 on a road crew, with no skill harder than holding a sign.
    -
    -
    -

In actual dollars, President Obamaís $4.4 trillion in deficit spending in just three years is 37 percent higher than the previous record of $3.2 trillion (held by President George W. Bush) in deficit spending for an entire presidency. Itís no small feat to demolish an 8-year record in just 3 years.

Under Obamaís own projections, interest payments on the debt are on course to triple from 2010 (his first budgetary year) to 2018, climbing from $196 billion to $685 billion annually.

I think the main thrust of this story is that this is the second time within a month that Mr. McCain is screaming, through clenched teeth,

DONíT HELP!

These fellow fossils that heís surrounded himself with are giving The Magic Negro an "E" Ticket straight into the Oval Office with their loose canon mouths. Wrong thing to say when many people are hurting. Stupid. You don''t want the poor, the minorities and/or the elderly turning out on mass in November and pissing in the Republican Partyís punch bowl.
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

I never knew we had such high wage earners here. Congrats.
    Count your blessings. I have a 72 year old aunt who works everyday for
    7.50 an hr. For the Insurance. If you believe there are not people earning
    very low wages and having to...then go ahead an live in that little world.
    Not everyone had the money to go to college.
    Not everyone has the ability to go to college.
    Not everyone has been fortunate enough to gather up a portfolio.
    And you call the left elitists?

Your aunt doesn't also have a pension? Social Security? She's actually living on only $7.50 an hour? I find that a bit hard to believe.

Not everyone has the money or ability to go to college, although those who really want to go generally find a way, while those who don't generally find an excuse, but what it really comes down to is that some people also don't have the aptitude or the interest, but even that doesn't tell the whole story. I've known quite a few tradesfolk (electricians, plumbers, mechanics, etc.) who didn't go to college, but managed to do quite well for themselves. On the other hand, I know more than a few college grads who didn't. Life has no guarantees, just opportunities.

Oh, and yes, in answer to your previous question, we are in an economic boom, one that's been going pretty much non-stop since 2001, after the tech stock bubble and 9/11 sent a ripple through the economy. A recession is two consecutive quarters with declining rates of economic growth, and we haven't seen one of those since 1991. What we are seeing are individual commodities spiking. Gasoline is at an all-time high in absolute terms, but adjusted for inflation, it's still cheaper than it was during the 70's. Ethanol has driven up food prices by removing corn from the the food chain (as both an ingredient in food and as livestock feed, driving up the price of both corn-based foods and meats) and putting it into our gas tanks. In spite of this, the economy remains fundamentally strong. Unemployment is at 5.5%, which is lower than was thought possible three decades ago, while inflation is still below 3%. Jimmy Carter would have killed for those numbers. Barack Obama will kill them when he raises taxes and expands the public sector.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Your aunt doesn't also have a pension? Social Security? She's actually living on only $7.50 an hour? I find that a bit hard to believe.

Not everyone has the money or ability to go to college, although those who really want to go generally find a way, while those who don't generally find an excuse, but what it really comes down to is that some people also don't have the aptitude or the interest, but even that doesn't tell the whole story. I've known quite a few tradesfolk (electricians, plumbers, mechanics, etc.) who didn't go to college, but managed to do quite well for themselves. On the other hand, I know more than a few college grads who didn't. Life has no guarantees, just opportunities.

Oh, and yes, in answer to your previous question, we are in an economic boom, one that's been going pretty much non-stop since 2001, after the tech stock bubble and 9/11 sent a ripple through the economy. A recession is two consecutive quarters with declining rates of economic growth, and we haven't seen one of those since 1991. What we are seeing are individual commodities spiking. Gasoline is at an all-time high in absolute terms, but adjusted for inflation, it's still cheaper than it was during the 70's. Ethanol has driven up food prices by removing corn from the the food chain (as both an ingredient in food and as livestock feed, driving up the price of both corn-based foods and meats) and putting it into our gas tanks. In spite of this, the economy remains fundamentally strong. Unemployment is at 5.5%, which is lower than was thought possible three decades ago, while inflation is still below 3%. Jimmy Carter would have killed for those numbers. Barack Obama will kill them when he raises taxes and expands the public sector.
    Well said and I would llike to add that my stepson who never finished high school made more money than my ex who has a Masters plus 30 and was principal at a deaf school. Also,he made more than I did.

I believe that the vast majority of the people who live on $7 an hour can get jobs that pay more, if they try. Of those people I know who earn this amount, 95% are under 20. The last 5% have their jobs for the same reason your aunt does...the benefits. The spouse of a self-employed person makes a huge contribution to the family on $7 an hour with health insurance.

Anyone who can't make it on their current income has the freedom to search for better paying work.
    -
    -
    -

In actual dollars, President Obamaís $4.4 trillion in deficit spending in just three years is 37 percent higher than the previous record of $3.2 trillion (held by President George W. Bush) in deficit spending for an entire presidency. Itís no small feat to demolish an 8-year record in just 3 years.

Under Obamaís own projections, interest payments on the debt are on course to triple from 2010 (his first budgetary year) to 2018, climbing from $196 billion to $685 billion annually.

I'm not saying it's not tough on some people, or that everything will be rosey again in a short while, but can somebody name me one thing that can expand indefinitely? (besides the Universe, and the average American's waistline) and the Universe might actually end some day). A recession is not the end of the world it's made out to be. We've had them before and survived and even thrived afterward.