Thread: Kids and Chores

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 45
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Vegas View Post
    Sounds fair to me, but Im the sucker in the family. My kid has me wrapped around his finger.
    You might want to rethink this.

    Where I lived, my situation was dead-on normal and I realize it isn't for most people but it taught me a lot about real life. In real life, you have do stuff that is boring or hard just because it needs to get done. In real life, nobody picks up after you. In real life, they call it "work" because it isn't fun or entertaining.

    I've seen more than one shocked 25 year old who is depressed and outraged that robot-slaves aren't a normal part of working life. :D
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #22  
    Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    5,455
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Vegas View Post
    Cause I got the urge to stick a man's testicles in my mouth just from reading the title. Cycling is teh ghey..
    A little too crass for me, dear. You know better.:(
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #23  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    123
    Wow..I had a lot of chores but we didn't think of it that way. My grandfather had a garden and we
    picked bushels of corn, butterbeans, tomatoes, etc. on Monday and Wednesday and went to the
    cannery on Tuesday and Thursday. My parents worked and left us with the grands early and picked us up late. At home, when we got older ....at about 11 or 12 , I had to fold clothes, dry the dishes,
    clean the bathrooms, and that drying dishes was for at my grandparents as well. Make my bed before school, put out my clothes in the morning. I had better keep that room clean, and sweep after we ate.
    I had two sisters and my elder sister had more chores than me. My Mother was a workacholic basically and a neat freak. She worked about 60 hours in Atlanta for over twenty years in the office at Avon and Daddy worked there as well in shipping. She would clean the house from top to bottom on Saturdays including
    washing windows, baseboards, doing the ironing, laundry, wash little trinkets, clean mirrors, strip beds,
    hang clothes, even though we had a dryer most of the time, and cook..a lot !!!!!
    Daddy did the yardwork when he could pry the mower away from Mother, build stuff in the workshop, repair things, plumbing, garden..plus like Mama work a full time job AND was a full time pastor which took
    up his evenings a lot. Saturdays was all about cleaning until about 4 in the afternoon where they religiously
    sent us off to the movies for about three hours. Sunday was about church and visitation and as I look back I kinda resent that Mama never sat down or watched tv, or did anything but work.
    Laziness was absolutely not tolerated in our home. I am greatful for that. For the most part.
    Our kids? I won't tolerate laziness but they sure have it made compared to how I had it.
    They fold and put their clothes away. They all do dishes. They sweep. They take out the garbage.
    They keep their rooms clean. They make their beds. They help with the baby. They bring in firewood,
    They clean the bathrooms. If One complains, I ignore. They hate my war stories and I tell them when they
    start complaining. I ususally up the chores. if they complain.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #24  
    BSR
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    A little too crass for me, dear. You know better.:(
    Sorry.


    The filter from my brain to my mouth gets clogged sometimes. :(
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #25  
    BSR
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    You might want to rethink this.

    Where I lived, my situation was dead-on normal and I realize it isn't for most people but it taught me a lot about real life. In real life, you have do stuff that is boring or hard just because it needs to get done. In real life, nobody picks up after you. In real life, they call it "work" because it isn't fun or entertaining.

    I've seen more than one shocked 25 year old who is depressed and outraged that robot-slaves aren't a normal part of working life. :D


    Oh dont get me wrong, when he's older this stuff stops. But he's 2 and he rules me with an iron fist right now..
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #26  
    Moderator lurkalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Isolated Mountain Range in Eastern Nevada
    Posts
    1,539
    By Kindergarten I was expected after school to:
    Carry in wood for the woodstove
    Feed calves
    Feed assorted critters (chickens, ducks, rabbits)
    Help with supper
    Set the table
    Clear the table
    Do the dishes
    Then do whatever random evil chores my mother decided I needed to do such as folding and putting away my clothes or cleaning my room
    I smile because I don't know what the heck is going on.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #27  
    BSR
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lurkalot View Post
    By Kindergarten I was expected after school to:
    Carry in wood for the woodstove
    Feed calves
    Feed assorted critters (chickens, ducks, rabbits)
    Help with supper
    Set the table
    Clear the table
    Do the dishes
    Then do whatever random evil chores my mother decided I needed to do such as folding and putting away my clothes or cleaning my room
    when you were in Kindergarten it was 1812. Every kid did this..
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #28  
    Moderator lurkalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Isolated Mountain Range in Eastern Nevada
    Posts
    1,539
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Vegas View Post
    when you were in Kindergarten it was 1812. Every kid did this..
    if you weren't Shannon's chew toy, I would hurt you for that..but she has first claim
    I smile because I don't know what the heck is going on.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #29  
    BSR
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lurkalot View Post
    if you weren't Shannon's chew toy, I would hurt you for that..but she has first claim
    She already handed me my ass, might as well step up. Your next..:(
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #30  
    Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    5,455
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Vegas View Post
    She already handed me my ass, might as well step up. Your next..:(
    "Your" next?
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •