Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillygirl View Post
    Those cases are few and far between, yet constantly raised as a reason to allow a child to undergo an invasive procedure without the consent of the parents.

Michigan's law covers that possibility, by allowing a teen to petition a judge for consent. I'm not sure which judge is hearing those in Wayne County, these days, but usually it's a female judge.

In most of the counties with more conservative judges, there aren't any abortion clinics. My guess is that the way around this is for girls to file in the county where the clinic is located for consent-it's probably easier for a girl to get consent in metro Detroit or Lansing than it is in Holland or Grand Rapids.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Michigan's law covers that possibility, by allowing a teen to petition a judge for consent. I'm not sure which judge is hearing those in Wayne County, these days, but usually it's a female judge.

In most of the counties with more conservative judges, there aren't any abortion clinics. My guess is that the way around this is for girls to file in the county where the clinic is located for consent-it's probably easier for a girl to get consent in metro Detroit or Lansing than it is in Holland or Grand Rapids.
    I understand that. And Pennsylvania is similar. I don't have any direct experience with the reason given for the work around, as I have always declined the request to represent one of them.

What I found most interesting is that Planned Parenthood pays their in house counsel, who then attempts to solicit pro bono attorneys to represent the girls.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillygirl View Post
    I understand that. And Pennsylvania is similar. I don't have any direct experience with the reason given for the work around, as I have always declined the request to represent one of them.

What I found most interesting is that Planned Parenthood pays their in house counsel, who then attempts to solicit pro bono attorneys to represent the girls.

I didn't know that until I heard about a case through my job, but I can't really say more about it than that. I assumed PP helped the girls file the petitions, I just didn't know that they used their own lawyers. I thought it was one of those standard legal forms that the kid and maybe a counselor filed , and that lawyers were assigned by the judge when the case got to court, the way they do at family court for either the neglect or the delinquency docket.

The lawyers for the kids in our hearings are mostly from three or four specialty practices that have a contract to provide foster kids with independent representation. I would think that this would be the way the court would want to proceed.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I didn't know that until I heard about a case through my job, but I can't really say more about it than that. I assumed PP helped the girls file the petitions, I just didn't know that they used their own lawyers. I thought it was one of those standard legal forms that the kid and maybe a counselor filed , and that lawyers were assigned by the judge when the case got to court, the way they do at family court for either the neglect or the delinquency docket.

The lawyers for the kids in our hearings are mostly from three or four specialty practices that have a contract to provide foster kids with independent representation. I would think that this would be the way the court would want to proceed.
    I think it's a little different here, than what you are saying (I didn't communicate very clearly). PP pays a firm to represent its interests. The PP firm then goes about privately trying to find attorneys to represent the girls for free. I can understand why the PP lawyers don't do it (at least I hope they don't, as I think it would truly be a conflict of interest).

The person who called me twice for this service didn't seem to understand that I had absolutely no interest in helping a minor (or anyone else for that matter) obtain an abortion. She then called one of my associates and asked her if she would do it. When she declined, she then inquired yet again as to whether or not I would have any interest. The associate told her that I'd have even less interest than she did.

Our courts do not have any type of court appointment that I'm aware of to handle these things. I would guess, based on the makeup of our bench, that there is not a lot of support for such a program, although I have no first hand knowledge of it.