Thread: Kids and Chores

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Kids and Chores 
    Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    I'm curious when y'all started doing chores or when you made your kids start doing them. I started doing the dishes (no dishwasher) when I was 6. My older brother was mowing the lawn and picking up the dog waste at 8. We recently started to make Tristan mow the back yard and the whining from him is hilarious. (in an "are you kidding me you spoiled brat" kinda way) He's not that bad about it but he does make it a bigger deal than it needs to be. What were your chores?
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

My seven year old has a set of chores that he has been doing for two years now.

My fourteen year old handles dishes and laundry now that school is out.

Mine used to be everything my Mom couldn't get to while she was working 60-75 hour work weeks. I started cooking for myself when I was ten.

Power CUer
    Oh, you know.... stitching samplers, churning butter, that sort of thing. Around six or seven.

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Oh, you know.... stitching samplers, churning butter, that sort of thing. Around six or seven.
    LOL. We churned butter on a class field trip to some old time place once.:p

My Mom never made me do chores. My room was picked up and my bed was made every day when I got home from school yet I never did it. I believe that was because she is a control freak and couldn't let anyone do a substandard job. Don't get me wrong, my Mom is a great person. She just likes being a martyr. :p

I don't remember at what age I started making my kids do chores. My older daughter (14) empties the dishwasher daily and probably started two years ago and my son mows the yard weekly when he is home from College. He started mowing the yard probably a lot later than most kids (15). It was me standing in the way, I thought for sure he would cut his foot off. My youngest daughter picks up her room when I ask her to. They all will do anything I tell them to do, usually with out complaint. None of them have ever used a washing machine until my son went away to college last year. I probably did him a disservice by not showing him how to do it but none of his clothes are pink so he survived. I guess I have a little of my Mother in me.

Right now as I type this my son is painting the dining room (he is very detailed in his work and is doing an excellent job). He is going to paint the hallways, entry, part of the computer room and the family room before he goes back to college. I'm trying to figure out how much to pay him. We got a quote to have it painted professionally and it was $1800 (labor only). I'm tempted to give him the $1800, he really is doing an excellent job. I just told him what a good job he is doing and he said, "Well you are paying for Art School, I should at least be able to paint a wall". :p

Quote Originally Posted by BEG View Post
    My older daughter (14) empties the dishwasher daily

Seriously? Can that even be considered a chore? Maybe Tristan really does have it rough.:p

I don't remember how old I was but my mom always made me clean the bathroom. Everytime she asked, I would whine like Tristan. I loathed that chore.
    2011 CU Fantasy Baseball Champion

Quote Originally Posted by BEG View Post
    My Mom never made me do chores. My room was picked up and my bed was made every day when I got home from school yet I never did it. I believe that was because she is a control freak and couldn't let anyone do a substandard job. Don't get me wrong, my Mom is a great person. She just likes being a martyr. :p

I don't remember at what age I started making my kids do chores. My older daughter (14) empties the dishwasher daily and probably started two years ago and my son mows the yard weekly when he is home from College. He started mowing the yard probably a lot later than most kids (15). It was me standing in the way, I thought for sure he would cut his foot off. My youngest daughter picks up her room when I ask her to. They all will do anything I tell them to do, usually with out complaint. None of them have ever used a washing machine until my son went away to college last year. I probably did him a disservice by not showing him how to do it but none of his clothes are pink so he survived. I guess I have a little of my Mother in me.

Right now as I type this my son is painting the dining room (he is very detailed in his work and is doing an excellent job). He is going to paint the hallways, entry, part of the computer room and the family room before he goes back to college. I'm trying to figure out how much to pay him. We got a quote to have it painted professionally and it was $1800 (labor only). I'm tempted to give him the $1800, he really is doing an excellent job. I just told him what a good job he is doing and he said, "Well you are paying for Art School, I should at least be able to paint a wall". :p
    Sounds like you and your hubby have done a greyt job raising the kids. Your son is exceptional. Wish I knew you when my kids were growing up. I was way too lenient and didn't do them any favors.

Sounds like that $1800 was a pretty reasonable bid. I paid $1300 for my living room and dining room and 2 bedrooms, but provided my own paint. He originally wanted $2100, but it was in January and there wasn't much work, so he matched the lower competitive bid. I'm sure my rooms are way smaller than yours.

His problem---he had to go over really dark colors, so think did 3 coats (primer and 2 coats).

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    Seriously? Can that even be considered a chore? Maybe Tristan really does have it rough.:p

Compared to what I did as a child, it is heavy labor. :p

Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    Sounds like you and your hubby have done a greyt job raising the kids. Your son is exceptional. Wish I knew you when my kids were growing up. I was way too lenient and didn't do them any favors.

Sounds like that $1800 was a pretty reasonable bid. I paid $1300 for my living room and dining room and 2 bedrooms, but provided my own paint. He originally wanted $2100, but it was in January and there wasn't much work, so he matched the lower competitive bid. I'm sure my rooms are way smaller than yours.

His problem---he had to go over really dark colors, so think did 3 coats (primer and 2 coats).
    Yeah I think $1800 was pretty reasonable. We really don't have that many "real" walls as our house is so open. A lot of them are 1/2 to 1/3 of a "true" wall but we have high ceilings.

On my husband and I raising such good kids, trust me we lucked out. We had no idea what we were doing, we do now though. :D