1. #1 Mich. man jailed for assault during Monopoly game 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    "Monopoly is serious stuff !"

A game of Monopoly has landed a Michigan man in jail. WDIV-TV reported a 54-year-old man was playing the board game Saturday night with a female friend when he tried to buy Park Place and Boardwalk from her.
    When she refused he hit her in the head, breaking her glasses.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/na...-52364467.html

I wonder if he tried to play a "get out of jail free" card from Community Chest.
    Olde-style, states' rights conservative. Ask if this concept confuses you.

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    When will the calls start coming to ban Monopoly?

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Wood View Post
    I wonder if he tried to play a "get out of jail free" card from Community Chest.
    *snicker*

Hey. Monopoly is serious stuff. I can't remember how many fights my brothers and I got into over that game.:p
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    *snicker*

Hey. Monopoly is serious stuff. I can't remember how many fights my brothers and I got into over that game.:p
    My father always tried to cheat us by offering to give us 2 really pretty purple properties for just one blue one. The games frequently ended with a fight between our parents as my mother yelled "she's only 6 years old, don't take advantage" with his response "they have to learn sometime, don't try to influence her decision, this is business."

Ahhh...fond memories.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillygirl View Post
    My father always tried to cheat us by offering to give us 2 really pretty purple properties for just one blue one. The games frequently ended with a fight between our parents as my mother yelled "she's only 6 years old, don't take advantage" with his response "they have to learn sometime, don't try to influence her decision, this is business."

Ahhh...fond memories.

My dad was always the banker when we played Monopoly, allegedly to prevent my brother from cheating. Dad cheated, though, usually to make sure that either me or my sister beat my brother.

My brother never lets his children beat him at any board game. He says "they need to learn that they won't win all the time in life". I don't know if he cheats-they don't play Monopoly, they play Risk.

My dad preferred to teach us poker, though, if Mom wasn't around. Monopoly was for when Mom was watching. When she worked nights, he tried to teach us how to cheat at cards. I didn't develop that talent, but my sister did.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    My dad was always the banker when we played Monopoly, allegedly to prevent my brother from cheating. Dad cheated, though, usually to make sure that either me or my sister beat my brother.

My brother never lets his children beat him at any board game. He says "they need to learn that they won't win all the time in life". I don't know if he cheats-they don't play Monopoly, they play Risk.

My dad preferred to teach us poker, though, if Mom wasn't around. Monopoly was for when Mom was watching. When she worked nights, he tried to teach us how to cheat at cards. I didn't develop that talent, but my sister did.
    I don't let kids win either. But I don't teach them to cheat. My brother would always throw the checker board if we beat him. He doesn't let his kids win either...which makes me laugh since he was always such a baby about losing. My grandmother would always yell at us...he's only 3 let him win!

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post

I never let my son beat me either. I just don't understand what that teaches a child.

Risk and Stratego were my favorites. On a side note- I've never lost a game of Connect Four.:p
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III