Hybrid View

1. #1 "Medal of Honor Winner Backs John McCain For POTUS !" 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Fellow ex-POW (Bud Day) eager to back McCain against Obama

Day, 83, a former Air Force colonel who earned the Medal of Honor and dozens of other honors for his service during World War II, Korea and Vietnam, was held in a Hanoi prison for six years, off and on in the same cell as McCain.

"He's (John McCain) probably one of the three or four best people in the world," Day said. "He's got the right stuff in spades."

In the decades since they shared a prison cell in North Vietnam, George "Bud" Day has remained a close friend of Republican John McCain and
    emerged as a staunch opponent of Democrats seeking the presidency.

As he did in 2004, when he took the lead in questioning Democratic presidential nominee John Kerry's Vietnam War record, Day is eager this fall to do whatever he can to retain the White House for the Republicans _ especially this Republican.

"I just want everyone to understand the difference between a board-certified physician and a student in medical school, because that is the difference," Day said, comparing McCain with Democratic rival Barack Obama. "Who would want a student in medical school operating on them?"

"I know him extremely well, better than his wife," Day joked in a telephone interview.

That experience, Day said, has influenced his support for McCain and other Republicans as well as his contempt for the Democratic presidential candidates in 2004 and 2008.

Born in Sioux City, Iowa, in 1925, Day quit high school to join the Marine Corps and then served 30 months in the Pacific. After earning a law degree, he was commissioned as a second lieutenant in the Iowa Air National Guard in 1950. A year later, he was called to active duty for flight training and went on to serve two tours as a fighter pilot in Korea, then decided to make the Air Force a career.

He was flying an F-100, attacking missile sites in North Vietnam on Aug. 26, 1967, when his plane was hit. He ejected, breaking his arm and injuring his back in the process.

"I hit the ground real hard and when I woke up they had me," he said.

After escape attempts and torture, Day was imprisoned. McCain, a Navy pilot, was shot down two months after Day.

If McCain left a lasting impression on Day, then so did a young Navy veteran named John Kerry who spoke critically about the war before a congressional committee in 1971. Day was deeply offended, and in 2004 he had a chance for payback.

Day joined a group called Swift Boat Veterans for Truth, which accused Kerry of inflating his record in Vietnam.

snip

This campaign, Day hasn't been shy about criticizing Obama.

"He's basically never done anything, been anyplace," Day said. "John has been every place and proven himself as a leader. We're at war. We need a leader."

Day said he'll report for duty wherever he's needed by the McCain campaign. And he may be needed in Iowa. David Roederer, the chairman of McCain's campaign in Iowa, said most strategists believe Obama starts there with an edge over McCain.

"It's extremely helpful because Sen. McCain is, frankly, reluctant to talk about his own ordeal he went through as a prisoner of war," Roederer said.

"Bud Day saw it firsthand and nobody is in a better position to say what happened and what didn't happen."

Others aren't sure that Day can do that much on the Republican's behalf. McCain's war record is already widely known, they say, and voters likely to be won over by it are probably already supporters.

snip

Day still practices law, primarily representing veterans with service-related disabilities. He says he can always make time for McCain.

"He's probably one of the three or four best people in the world," Day said. "He's got the right stuff in spades."

http://www.townhall.com/Common/Print...ac81f9bb24&t=c

2. #2 OMG! He used racist codespeak to unfairly attack Obama!! 
    He said SPADES!!!
    Shakespeare.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakespeare View Post
    He said SPADES!!!
    "He Should have said 'Hearts'"??

Day joined a group called Swift Boat Veterans for Truth, which accused Kerry of inflating his record in Vietnam.
    The CNN description of Col. Bud Day was simply wrong. Col. Day was never a member of the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth.

The Swifties criticized John Kerry’s Vietnam service, his medals, and the details of his discharge. After Kerry’s salute and his "reporting for duty" comment at the convention, another group sprang up around documentary producer Carlton Sherwood whose goal was to make Kerry accountable for the 1971 testimony before Fulbright’s committee, testimony in which he talked of war crimes, atrocities, etc. Col. Day was part of the second group and not the Swifites. In fact, he disagreed with the central thrust of the Swifties, that of questioning Kerry’s medals.

There was not just a philosophical but a legal difference in the Swifties and in the group which coalesced around Carlton Sherwood. The Swifties were organized as a Section 527 and thus "political," while Sherwood’s group was a for-profit S corporation organized in Pennsylvania and, at least in theory, "non-political."
    They asked the POWs who had appeared in Sherwood’s documentary to join them in taping a series of television ads. The ads had enormous impact, the most powerful of which was one of Col. Day, Medal of Honor around his neck, staring into the camera and asking of John Kerry, “How can you expect our sons and daughters to follow you when you condemned their fathers and grandfathers?”

Taping the series of ads was the only place where the two groups came together. That does not make Bud Day a Swifty.
    I called Col. Day this morning and he confirmed that he was not a Swifty and further, that he disagreed with their agenda of questioning John Kerry’s medals and his Vietnam service.

Source

Bud Day is an incredible man and he thinks the world of John McCain.
    This is bigger than presidential politics. This is a battle for America.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakespeare View Post
    He said SPADES!!!
    Col. Day is just shoveling shit where he finds it!

So what?
    Wonder what a MOH winner like General Smedley Butler would think of McCain?
    I would respect his opinion far more.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Molon Labe View Post
    So what?
    Wonder what a MOH winner like General Smedley Butler would think of McCain?
    I would respect his opinion far more.
    Quite a man,Double meday of Honor winner and a Marine Corps Brevet Medal !!

Smedley Darlington Butler

(July 30, 1881 – June 21, 1940), nicknamed "The Fighting Quaker" and "Old Gimlet Eye", was a Major General in the U.S. Marine Corps and, at the time of his death, the most decorated Marine in U.S. history.

During his 34 years of Marine Corps service, Butler was awarded numerous medals for heroism including the Marine Corps Brevet Medal (the highest Marine medal at its time for officers), and subsequently the Medal of Honor twice. Notably, he is one of only 19 people to be twice awarded the Medal of Honor, and one of only three to be awarded a Marine Corps Brevet Medal and a Medal of Honor, and the only person to be awarded a Marine Corps Brevet Medal and a Medal of Honor for two different actions.

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    Quite a man,Double meday of Honor winner and a Marine Corps Brevet Medal !!

Smedley Darlington Butler

(July 30, 1881 – June 21, 1940), nicknamed "The Fighting Quaker" and "Old Gimlet Eye", was a Major General in the U.S. Marine Corps and, at the time of his death, the most decorated Marine in U.S. history.

During his 34 years of Marine Corps service, Butler was awarded numerous medals for heroism including the Marine Corps Brevet Medal (the highest Marine medal at its time for officers), and subsequently the Medal of Honor twice. Notably, he is one of only 19 people to be twice awarded the Medal of Honor, and one of only three to be awarded a Marine Corps Brevet Medal and a Medal of Honor, and the only person to be awarded a Marine Corps Brevet Medal and a Medal of Honor for two different actions.
    Agreed!
    Here you have a man's man and someone who's walked the walk...but then there's his lesson. Butler discovered one of the underlying causes of WW1 was garbage, and that wars are less often about what we hear them sold as from the MSM and politicians. His essay "War is a racket" is very influential to me.. It's interesting that his idea of making the businesses responsible for the arming of military societies and subsequential rebuilding of the defeated should make the same wage as the soldier in harms way during the duration of the conflict. He doubts wars would occur often or last long if that was the deal. As for my experience in my military career...I can't say I blame him.
    I doubt he would like 100 year McCain or Obama or any other modern day hawk.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor