Thread: Finally Friday

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21
  1. #1 Finally Friday 
    Senior Member jendf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,697
    The valley had its first big monsoon storm of the season last night. It was glorious. In my part of town, we got a little over an inch of rain in the span of 40 minutes. Some parts of the city got 2.5 inches.

    It's extremely muggy out this morning. I just put my hair in a ponytail because I didn't even want to try and negotiate with the humidity today.

    TOTD: We have a law in Phoenix called The Stupid Motorists Law, which requires any moron who drives through a flooded area and gets stuck and has to be rescued to pay for emergency services instead of the taxpayer. There were a few people who got cited for that last night. :D

    When you are out on the road, what is your biggest pet peeve? Do you have an interesting driving story during a storm? Do tell!
    2011 CU Fantasy Baseball Champion
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    This will be our last hot day for a while. I am not really looking forward to our party thingy this afternoon because of the heat.

    TOTD: I'm a really relaxed driver so I see a lot of idiocy but I don't get excited about it much. I don't like it when people cut across 4 lanes of traffic to make a turn. Go around the block!

    A couple of years ago it took me 4 hours to drive 10 miles in a blizzard. :eek:
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Senior Member jendf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,697
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    TOTD: I'm a really relaxed driver so I see a lot of idiocy but I don't get excited about it much. I don't like it when people cut across 4 lanes of traffic to make a turn. Go around the block!
    One of the reasons I decided on this TOTD was traffic laws have been a big topic of discussion this week in my family since I went to traffic school last Saturday.

    We got to talking about the 2-way left turn lane and what it was really designed to do. Many folks use it to turn left onto major streets. The problem is they continue to move in that lane as they try to merge which is technically illegal (in Arizona anyway).

    Some members of my family believes that lane was designed for their personal passing lane apparently.
    2011 CU Fantasy Baseball Champion
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Senior Member LibraryLady's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    3,748
    Hot today and I hope no rain. My swimming (therapeutic and FUN) has been stormed out a lot lately.

    TOTD: farmer's turns (I used to call them little old lady turns until I became one). Two lane road, truck gives turn signal, slows to a crawl and FINALLY turns. Drives me nuts.
    This is bigger than presidential politics. This is a battle for America.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Senior Member jendf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,697
    Quote Originally Posted by LibraryLady View Post
    Hot today and I hope no rain. My swimming (therapeutic and FUN) has been stormed out a lot lately.

    TOTD: farmer's turns (I used to call them little old lady turns until I became one). Two lane road, truck gives turn signal, slows to a crawl and FINALLY turns. Drives me nuts.
    I must be a slow turner because more often than not, I have someone right on my bumper as I'm turning into a shopping center. It's almost like the driver behind me would like to push me in because I'm not going fast enough for him/her.
    2011 CU Fantasy Baseball Champion
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    Senior Member DarkScribe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Sunshine State
    Posts
    787
    Quote Originally Posted by jendf View Post
    The valley had its first big monsoon storm of the season last night. It was glorious. In my part of town, we got a little over an inch of rain in the span of 40 minutes. Some parts of the city got 2.5 inches.

    It's extremely muggy out this morning. I just put my hair in a ponytail because I didn't even want to try and negotiate with the humidity today.

    TOTD: We have a law in Phoenix called The Stupid Motorists Law, which requires any moron who drives through a flooded area and gets stuck and has to be rescued to pay for emergency services instead of the taxpayer. There were a few people who got cited for that last night. :D

    When you are out on the road, what is your biggest pet peeve? Do you have an interesting driving story during a storm? Do tell!
    TOTD: I hate people that do not use the turn signal before making a turn...And then they brake hard to make the turn causing the driver to brake hard. That's just asking to get rear-ended. That and probably the assholes who blast by you on the highway or interstate going 100 mph.
    "The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." H.P. Lovecraft in Supernatural Horror in Literature
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    Senior Member LibraryLady's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    3,748
    Quote Originally Posted by jendf View Post
    It's almost like the driver behind me would like to push me in because I'm not going fast enough for him/her.


    That would be me!
    This is bigger than presidential politics. This is a battle for America.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    Senior Member jendf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,697
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkScribe View Post
    TOTD: I hate people that do not use the turn signal before making a turn...And then they brake hard to make the turn causing the driver to brake hard. That's just asking to get rear-ended. That and probably the assholes who blast by you on the highway or interstate going 100 mph.
    The drivers who don't use their signals for anything bug me. Turning, changing lanes, etc. Why did you buy that nice car and not have turn signals installed? :p
    2011 CU Fantasy Baseball Champion
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    Senior Member jendf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,697
    Quote Originally Posted by LibraryLady View Post
    That would be me!
    :D :p ....
    2011 CU Fantasy Baseball Champion
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    Patent Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    1,784
    TOTD: Anywhere where the road drops by a lane and people wait unitl the last possible moment to merge into traffic. Because getting in front of one more person is really that important. :angry:

    An especially heinous version of this is the light to the onramp near work. There are two left turn lanes, but the onramp narrows from 2 lanes to 1 halfway up. The leftmost turn lane stays, the other one has to merge. Every day there's a new jackass that uses the second left turn lane to try to get ahead of the line of 5-10 cars.

    I probably could just shorten this to "people who don't realize you yield the right of way while merging."
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •