Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Jeez, you people are all illiterate. :mad:

I'm sorry...

When exactly was Tiggywinkles the Hedgehog elevated to Sainthood?

I must have missed that one.

Patent Member
    I am unaware of the Catholic Church bestowing sainthood on any hedgehogs.

Perhaps you would care to enlighten?

Power CUer
    It's obviously (to some of us) a fun name based on the Potter character and the fact that many hospitals are named for saints.

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by asdf2231 View Post

The patron Saint of Elves and Stuffed Animals?
    St. Tiggywinkles Wildlife Hospital

Jaws the Hedgehog and Other Stories (St Tiggywinkles Wildlife Hospital)

http://hedgehoghollow.com/hedgehog_crisps.html

(St. Tiggywinkles is a hospital exclusively for hedgehogs, located in the English Midlands. Hapless hedgehogs are sent from all over, mostly through British Rail's overnight parcel service, which has a special rate for shipping injured hedgehogs.)

Hedgehog Crisps and St. Tiggywinkles
    Almost the entire contents of the page below came from a file I picked up while netsurfing at some point in the dim dark past. In other words I can't be sure where I got it from, but the original message was signd by Steph Mandell and was borrowed (?) from an article in the Wall Street Journal.
    Hedgehog mania has accounted for at least one business success story: Hedgehog Foods Ltd., one of Europe's biggest makers of organic potato chips, or crisps at the British call them. In 1981, Philip Lewis, a pub owners in Wales and devotee of hedgehog jokes, decided as a lark to produce "hedgehog flavored" crisps.

Sales boomed, but it didn't take long for angry hedgehog lovers to blow the whistle, fearing that the crisps were actually made from hedgehogs. In fact, they were flavored with pork fat.
    But then, in 1982, Britain's Office of Fair Trading hauled Mr. Lewis into court for false advertising. A settlement ultimately was reached under Mr. Lewis interviewing gypsies, who actually do eat baked hedgehog, ascertained what hedgehogs taste like and commissioned a flavorings firm to more or less duplicate the flavor. He changed the labels from "hedgehog flavored" to "hedgehog flavor," and all interest were satisfied.

Last year Hedgehog Foods had sales of $3.6 million and is now a major contributor to St. Tiggywinkles Hospital, plugging the hospital on every package. "Looking back, it was a bit gruesome, that flavor," Mr. Lewis concedes.

It's a lovely story
    St. Tiggywinkle’s is a wildlife hospital situated in Haddenham, Buckinghamshire. It cares for ill and injured wild animals, 24 hours a day 365 days a year. It is best known for it’s care of hedgehogs; however it will help any injured wild animals, for example foxes, badgers and birds.

If you have under-fives you may have seen it featured in an episode of the BBC’s ‘Come Outside’. Auntie Mabel was invited into the hospital for a look round. Well, you can’t actually wander round the hospital (would you want people gawping at you if you were poorly?) but there is a lovely Visitor Centre which makes a interesting day out, where you can also gain an appreciation of the work done by the hospital.

The hospital has a number of animals which live permanently at the centre. These are ones which are too disabled to be released back into the wild. They are housed in a garden designed to be an ideal habitat for them. The garden is a lovely peaceful place to be, with water features, a huge pond for ducks, geese and herons and a lookout post towards the fields where deer are recuperating. There is also a children’s play area with climbing frames and swings, so the kids can let off some steam while parents have a sit down.

Indoors there is a museum of Hedgehog memorabilia – from kitsch to cool, historical to hysterical, if it has been named after a hedgehog or looks like a hedgehog it’s there! It is also possible to view the nurseries full of baby animals and see the day-to-day work of the hospital on CCTV.
    http://www.eparenting.co.uk/days_out/tiggywinkles.shtml

http://www.sttiggywinkles.org.uk/
    This is bigger than presidential politics. This is a battle for America.

BTW, I KNEW the literary reference. It's the idiocy of the "Saint" thing I was laughing at.

What next? Saint Hammer detective agency?

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by asdf2231 View Post
    BTW, I KNEW the literary reference. It's the idiocy of the "Saint" thing I was laughing at.

What next? Saint Hammer detective agency?
    There are over 10,000 named saints and beati from history, the Roman Martyology and Orthodox sources, but no definitive "head count".