Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Should Immigrants Have to Earn Points to Become Citizens? 
    That's what they're doing over here in the U.K. On Monday, Immigration Minister Phil Woolas unveiled a controversial new government proposal calling for a points-based test for all immigrants wishing to become British citizens.

Like several other countries including Australia, New Zealand, and Canada, the U.K. has had a points-based system in place since 2003. But once immigrants had been working legally in Britain for five years, it was relatively easy for them to qualify for citizenship.

The new proposal, in contrast, dramatically ramps up the qualifications to become a British citizen. On the "positive side," immigrants can be given points for things like English language ability, earnings potential, volunteering, special artistic or scientific merit, and residence in parts of the U.K. experiencing population decline, such as Scotland.

On the "negative side," you can have points deducted for "unBritish behavior," including participating in an antiwar march or having a history of "antisocial" behavior, even if it didn't result in a conviction. Immigrants also face being sent on compulsory "orientation days" where they will be taught British values, social norms and customs -- and be charged fees to do so.

New rules will also double the period for which foreigners have to work in the U.K. before becoming eligible from five to ten years.

Not surprisingly, the proposal has generated a lot of heat, most of it negative. Some worry about the limits on freedom of expression, which many see as a key attribute of being British. "It is paradoxical to suggest that migrants could be prevented from acquiring citizenship for engaging in behavior that British citizens take for granted," wrote one columnist in the Guardian.

CONTINUED
    Some good ideas in there! :)
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Sounds something like the amnesty bill they tried here...

The UK has to stand up to the waves that are pulling her under...

just as we do

I don't know about Britain, but I don't think a point system would work so well here.

For one thing, we have no consensus on what is anti-american behavior. The definition would change each time we changed administrations.

Although, giving points to someone for doing good things in the community might not be as bad of an idea. If an immigrant whose status is pending were to do something really good, like save a neighbor's family from a burning house at his own risk, he should get some recognition as the kind of person we want to have immigrate to our country.

The piece doesn't say whether it's talking about regular immigrants or crimigrants. Perhaps it's a politically correct piece that chooses not to call illegal immigrants what they are, just as some try to do here in America-they come up with all sorts of cute terms like Undocumented Worker. That's like calling a bank robbery an undocumented withdrawal...

Crimigrants should be arrested and deported as soon as they're identified, whether they will be separated from their family members, or not.. A crime is a crime, and should not go unpunished. It's THEIR fault, not our society. You choose to be a criminal, you pay the price when you're caught..

I think that the ideas for regular immigration are good. They should be forced to learn the language of the host country, and just as a rule worldwide countries should only allow immigrants into their country that will benefit their society or at least not be a net negative.. People should not be allowed to come to any country and draw any sort of public assistance when they haven't paid into the system, etc..
    Obama-if you're being run out of town, get out in front and pretend that it's a parade!!!

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I don't know about Britain, but I don't think a point system would work so well here.

For one thing, we have no consensus on what is anti-american behavior. The definition would change each time we changed administrations.

Although, giving points to someone for doing good things in the community might not be as bad of an idea. If an immigrant whose status is pending were to do something really good, like save a neighbor's family from a burning house at his own risk, he should get some recognition as the kind of person we want to have immigrate to our country.
    I think that most Americans can agree on what is un-American. Things such as stealing, cheating, fraud, infringing upon another persons free speech, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    I think that most Americans can agree on what is un-American. Things such as stealing, cheating, fraud, infringing upon another persons free speech, etc.
    Been over to the DUmp lately???

Quote Originally Posted by stsinner View Post

Crimigrants should be arrested and deported as soon as they're identified, whether they will be separated from their family members, or not.. A crime is a crime, and should not go unpunished. It's THEIR fault, not our society. You choose to be a criminal, you pay the price when you're caught..
    You can't "label" people...

I just wonder when our Government will wake up to the illegalsand the drain they put on us...

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    Been over to the DUmp lately???
    quit pretending that the DU is populated by people let alone American people.

quit pretending that the DU is populated by people let alone American people.
    My bad...sorry :o

:D

Yes, our government is un-American.

rm -rf obama*