Thread: Tax Question

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
  1. #1 Tax Question 
    Senior Member Troll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Not Amused
    Posts
    852
    I have a question.

    Let's say we know someone (we all know the type) who claims that he/she is not paying enough taxes. If said person wanted to pay more taxes, could he/she conceivably write a check to...say the IRS, the State Department, or some other federal agency? I know you can claim 0 deductions or have the IRS withhold extra money from your paychecks, but can you actually pay more than "they" say you have to?

    My point is: If you can voluntarily give more tax money to Uncle Sam, isn't it hypocrisy for anyone to claim that they should be paying more in taxes?

    Any links on this would be appreciated.
    Nothing helps a bad mood like spreading it around.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    11,970
    Quote Originally Posted by Troll View Post
    I have a question.

    Let's say we know someone (we all know the type) who claims that he/she is not paying enough taxes. If said person wanted to pay more taxes, could he/she conceivably write a check to...say the IRS, the State Department, or some other federal agency? I know you can claim 0 deductions or have the IRS withhold extra money from your paychecks, but can you actually pay more than "they" say you have to?

    My point is: If you can voluntarily give more tax money to Uncle Sam, isn't it hypocrisy for anyone to claim that they should be paying more in taxes?

    Any links on this would be appreciated.
    If you write the IRS a letter stating that this is a donation, I am sure they would accept it. I worked for the LA Dept of Revenue and we would have gladly taken it. Don't know if you remembe the last rebate/refund that the government sent out but we had all these N.E lliberal pricks like Kennedy and Kerry stating they were going to send their checks back. Probably a bunch of bs.

    You answered your own question about hypocrisy. Good example of that is pretty boy Edwards who concocted a scheme (legal) to avoid paying self employment and or S.S taxes on millions that he made.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    John
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Troll View Post
    I have a question.

    Let's say we know someone (we all know the type) who claims that he/she is not paying enough taxes. If said person wanted to pay more taxes, could he/she conceivably write a check to...say the IRS, the State Department, or some other federal agency? I know you can claim 0 deductions or have the IRS withhold extra money from your paychecks, but can you actually pay more than "they" say you have to?

    My point is: If you can voluntarily give more tax money to Uncle Sam, isn't it hypocrisy for anyone to claim that they should be paying more in taxes?

    Any links on this would be appreciated.
    Just as an aside, you might want to let this person know that there are better ways to give back than to pay taxes. The VFW, DAV or even NRA would likely make better use of the funds if said person has already paid their quasi-lawful obligation to Uncle Sam.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Senior Member Troll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Not Amused
    Posts
    852
    I thought so.

    I'm engaged in a YT debate (lame, I know) with someone who claims that because Warren Buffet and Bill Gates say they're not paying enough in taxes, taxes should be raised. Now that you've said there's nothing stopping them from paying more if they want to, I call this bald-faced hypocrisy.
    Nothing helps a bad mood like spreading it around.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Senior Member Troll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Not Amused
    Posts
    852
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Just as an aside, you might want to let this person know that there are better ways to give back than to pay taxes. The VFW, DAV or even NRA would likely make better use of the funds if said person has already paid their quasi-lawful obligation to Uncle Sam.
    Yeah, that was the counter punch, that instead of giving that money to the gubmint, they give it away to charity. They then, of course, don't write it off on their taxes or anything. Liberals and their heroes.
    Nothing helps a bad mood like spreading it around.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    John
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Troll View Post
    I thought so.

    I'm engaged in a YT debate (lame, I know) with someone who claims that because Warren Buffet and Bill Gates say they're not paying enough in taxes, taxes should be raised. Now that you've said there's nothing stopping them from paying more if they want to, I call this bald-faced hypocrisy.
    Oh, than if that's the case, consider this:

    Our taxes, including income taxes, are received by a privately owned bank as payments on loans Congress has taken out in the name of the people (supposedly). So, paying 'extra' in taxes is like paying off your home loan, and giving the bank an extra grand for good measure. So, it really doesn't make any sense. Sure the payment would be put toward the deficit (I hope), but Congress has already decided what the people consider Gates's and Buffet's fair share of the debt. They've paid their fair share, and give quite a bit on top of that to charity, i.e. the Bill & Melinda Gates foundation. Bill & Melinda would rather drop hundreds of millions into buying vaccines for children in third world countries, than to hand that money over to the Federal Reserve. If they've paid their fair debt already, the rest of that money is theirs to do with as they please. Apparently vaccinating children is more important to them than reducing the debt of America on their personal dime. I think that is fair and just.
    Last edited by John; 07-11-2008 at 06:48 PM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    11,970
    Quote Originally Posted by Troll View Post
    I thought so.

    I'm engaged in a YT debate (lame, I know) with someone who claims that because Warren Buffet and Bill Gates say they're not paying enough in taxes, taxes should be raised. Now that you've said there's nothing stopping them from paying more if they want to, I call this bald-faced hypocrisy.
    If I was a billionaire, I would not be worried about paying more taxes. However, rich left wing liberals turds like Marc Rich and George Soris seem to have problems paying the IRS just what they owe much less any booty. Ask them about those tax dodgers plus those offshore accounts, plus trusts of the Kennedy's, Ford's.etc. etc.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    Senior Member LibraryLady's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    3,748
    Huckabee created it in Arkansas

    One of the things that Rush Limbaugh once praised me for was creating what I called the No -- Tax Me More Fund. And the way that worked was that we had a lot of people in our legislature that wanted us to raise taxes. And I said we don't need to raise taxes, we need to cut our spending.

    And so I created a fund called the Tax Me More Fund and said there's nothing in the law that says that you can't just pay more if you want to. And I had envelopes printed, and I said, anybody who wants to pay more taxes, just fill it up with whatever will make you feel better and send it right in. And it proved that a whole lot of people didn't really want to pay more taxes after all, because after about a year and a half, there was only about $1,200 in the account, $1,000 of which had been given by a liberal legislator.
    http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/01/...te.transcript/

    I think I recall Bush telling Kerry he could voluntarily pay more Federal taxes if he wanted to.
    This is bigger than presidential politics. This is a battle for America.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    Senior Member Troll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Not Amused
    Posts
    852
    Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    If I was a billionaire, I would not be worried about paying more taxes.
    Ditto. I think I read somewhere that the top 1% of income earners in America are paying like 20% of the taxes. People always eyeroll at that, but I think that's an absolutely astounding figure. I'm like - you WANT to give more? :eek:
    Nothing helps a bad mood like spreading it around.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    Eyelids
    Guest
    What people want and what they need are not always the same thing.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •