Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Looking for a really good book on office politics 
    I am working in a university and I'd like to get a better idea of how to deal with the office politics and with the nutty professors. Anybody know a really good book on office politics, especially office politics in a unversity?

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    I am working in a university and I'd like to get a better idea of how to deal with the office politics and with the nutty professors. Anybody know a really good book on office politics, especially office politics in a unversity?

The Prince, by Niccolo Machiavelli.

How to Win Friends and Influence People, Dale Carnegie

Not exactly on point but definitely beneficial in dealing with people in general.
    Better to die on your feet than live on your knees.

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    The Art of War by Sun Tzu !

How about some really good advice. Avoid it like the plague. Do what ever it takes to stay neutral. Be everyone's friend and no one's judge. This as worked for me for 25 years.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    How about some really good advice. Avoid it like the plague. Do what ever it takes to stay neutral. Be everyone's friend and no one's judge. This as worked for me for 25 years.
    Can you actually survive like this? Get ahead like this?

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    The Art of War by Sun Tzu !
    DITTO that, and while your at it anything on mind control, hypnotism, or telekinesis(you know to throw things and not get in trouble)

Goldwater
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    This is good advice for not getting into arguments and probably for staying safe at work, but if you have opinions and are mature and articulate enough to explain them, there shouldn't be a problem, even if you disagree.

Can you actually survive like this? Get ahead like this?
    I'm a vice president in the technology and operations division of a fortune 100 company. Let's just say that it hasn't hurt.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Goldwater View Post
    This is good advice for not getting into arguments and probably for staying safe at work, but if you have opinions and are mature and articulate enough to explain them, there shouldn't be a problem, even if you disagree.
    Exactly. I don't mean to imply that one can't have opinions and express them. THe question was about office politics and I try to keep out of that. I don't like it when people try to herd me to one side or the other of some internal dispute. I'm in a position where I have it is best for me to remain neutral and since I have tried my best to do that my whole career (except in the beginning) now it is what people expect of me.

C. S. Lewis