Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 26 of 26
  1. #21  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    9,745
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyelids View Post
    Mike Adams is a partisan whore, most of his crap is just him badmouthing Democrats and talking up Republicans. Its rather boring and amounts to cheerleading most of the time. If you're into that kind of shit then go ahead and narrow your world view even more (if that was even possible).
    Eyelids,

    A narrow world view is one which results from a limited stream of information. The purpose of education is twofold: to increase the size of the information stream and to increase the ability of the student to tell truth from rot. When these two conditions go hand in hand, a student can read anything, evaluate it, take from it what is truth (and not rot) and thereby increase her/his knowledge. Discouraging people from reading something is only a good idea if your educational system has made it impossible for the student to distinguish between the logical and the illogical, the truth and the rot.

    If you are the age I think you are (from your posts) then you DO have a lot of reason to discourage yourself and others from reading something. Since the late 70s, the educational system in this country has been modified to control the information stream (curriculum) and to decrease the ability of the student to tell truth from rot. As a result, the younger generation cannot read with discernment; they have not been taught elementary logic and have no understanding of how one separates the truth from the rot. They only have their emotional reactions to what they read, and these emotions can cause shifts in basic beliefs and principles very quickly, hence the desire to avoid reading anything outside a narrow comfort zone.

    Because you react emotionally, you assume that others do. You do not understand how one can hold certain basic knowledge and principles, regardless of emotion or personal (or group) allegiance. This is why you do not understand (1) why I am not voting for your candidate and (2) how some of us can talk across the aisle without complete capitulation. It might behoove you, Eyelids, to actually separate yourself from your knee-jerk emotional reactions and try to understand that everyone has a side and that some concerns are legitimate even when you do not agree with some of the values a person holds.

    But it would take a different kind of education to do that, and I think the post-modern curriculum has already affected you too much.

    Elspeth
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #22  
    Senior Member Zathras's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    San Jose, California
    Posts
    6,285
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyelids View Post
    Eyelids is a partisan whore, most of his crap is just him badmouthing Republicans and talking up Democrats. Its rather boring and amounts to cheerleading most of the time. If you're into that kind of shit then go ahead and narrow your world view even more (if that was even possible).
    hmmm, replace Mike Adams with Eyelids and Democrats with Republicans and you have the exact same thing.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #23  
    Eyelids
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    Eyelids,

    A narrow world view is one which results from a limited stream of information. The purpose of education is twofold: to increase the size of the information stream and to increase the ability of the student to tell truth from rot. When these two conditions go hand in hand, a student can read anything, evaluate it, take from it what is truth (and not rot) and thereby increase her/his knowledge. Discouraging people from reading something is only a good idea if your educational system has made it impossible for the student to distinguish between the logical and the illogical, the truth and the rot.

    If you are the age I think you are (from your posts) then you DO have a lot of reason to discourage yourself and others from reading something. Since the late 70s, the educational system in this country has been modified to control the information stream (curriculum) and to decrease the ability of the student to tell truth from rot. As a result, the younger generation cannot read with discernment; they have not been taught elementary logic and have no understanding of how one separates the truth from the rot. They only have their emotional reactions to what they read, and these emotions can cause shifts in basic beliefs and principles very quickly, hence the desire to avoid reading anything outside a narrow comfort zone.

    Because you react emotionally, you assume that others do. You do not understand how one can hold certain basic knowledge and principles, regardless of emotion or personal (or group) allegiance. This is why you do not understand (1) why I am not voting for your candidate and (2) how some of us can talk across the aisle without complete capitulation. It might behoove you, Eyelids, to actually separate yourself from your knee-jerk emotional reactions and try to understand that everyone has a side and that some concerns are legitimate even when you do not agree with some of the values a person holds.

    But it would take a different kind of education to do that, and I think the post-modern curriculum has already affected you too much.

    Elspeth
    Truth from rot? Read some of this guy's articles -- he basically shits on women and gays. He calls homosexuality "violent pornography" with not even a mention of anything else. Hes an intolerant Carolina Republican... and hardly the only one.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #24  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    718
    I spent the afternoon reading all those articles from that author. He is spot on. I really liked the one comparing and contrasting the aftermaths of the New Orleans and Iowa floods.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #25  
    Senior Member AlmostThere's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    A Great Red State
    Posts
    1,920
    I have a hard time believing there are many books that tell you how to win the office political war. Is that even possible? I always thought that was a MAD situation.

    Not a game plan for winning the war, but "Who Moved My Cheese?" was an interesting read.
    Better to die on your feet than live on your knees.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyelids View Post
    Truth from rot? Read some of this guy's articles -- he basically shits on women and gays. He calls homosexuality "violent pornography" with not even a mention of anything else. Hes an intolerant Carolina Republican... and hardly the only one.
    Adams criticizes the appalling double standards in academia that support bad ideas simply because they are generated by politically correct people. There is no examination of the worth of ideas, merely a purity test for the idea generator based on sexual activity, political ideology, and XX chromosome status. Adams rightly lampoons this disgraceful situation.

    He is a clever writer and interesting guy. He was at one time a Kool-aid drinking lefty who also maintained a sometimes indifferent, sometimes bitter atheism. His recovery is a very interesting read. :D
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •