Thread: School officials face jail time for meal-time prayers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 School officials face jail time for meal-time prayers 
    School officials face jail time for meal-time prayers
    Pete Chagnon - OneNewsNow - 8/11/2009 7:25:00 AM

A principal and an athletic director are facing criminal charges for a lunch-time prayer.

Last year, the American Civil Liberties Union filed a lawsuit against Pace High School in Santa Rosa County, Florida. The ACLU claimed some teachers and administrators were endorsing religion, but the school chose to give in to the ACLU's demands rather than fight them in court.

According to the settlement, all school employees are banned from engaging in prayer or religious activities before, during, or after school hours. Now two school officials are facing criminal charges for offering meal-time prayers at an appreciation dinner for adults who had helped with a school field house project. Principal Frank Lay and athletic director Robert Freeman are scheduled to go on trial next month on criminal contempt charges. If convicted, both are subject to fines and imprisonment.

Matt Staver is founder of Liberty Counsel, which will argue the court order prohibiting prayer at school-related events violated Lay's and Freeman's constitutional rights.

"In this particular case, Principal Frank Lay asked the athletic director to have a prayer for the meal at an honorary luncheon in celebration for some of the athletic achievements. And then in [another] situation, the clerical worker at an event where some employees of the school were present asked her husband, who is not an employee of the school, to have a blessing over a meal," he explains. "Because of those two events, these individuals now face criminal contempt."

Staver believes that the accusers in this case are students who recently graduated. If that is the case, he says the case is moot. However, Staver adds it is outrageous to punish a school official with potential jail time for simply praying.
    Why would the school have ever agreed to these draconian terms in the first place?

OneNewsNow

I doubt they'll see jail time but they did agree and then broke the agreement.
    "Inequality is a false notion propagated by those who are made to feel guilty for what they have by those who are jealous for what they don't"-Former MTV Host Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    I doubt they'll see jail time but they did agree and then broke the agreement.
    I don't think you can agree to an unconstitutional demand. We need Philly to chime in here.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    I don't think you can agree to an unconstitutional demand. We need Philly to chime in here.
    No doubt...

I suspect that this was intentional with the teachers forcing the issue before the courts since the school behaved in such a cowardly fashion.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Why would the school have ever agreed to these draconian terms in the first place?

OneNewsNow
    Because it's cheaper to give in than to fight these lawsuits.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

It's only cheaper on the front end though. When out freedoms are stripped so that we are sufficiently outraged, we will stand and fight. Of course by then we are fighting a far greater battle for much higher stakes. Being moral cowards doesn't strike me as very cost effective.
    Better to die on your feet than live on your knees.

Yes you can. Apon joining the military, we sign a form agreeing to give up a number of our rights. The 1st Amendment does not protect me, due to an agreement I took.

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    Yes you can. Apon joining the military, we sign a form agreeing to give up a number of our rights. The 1st Amendment does not protect me, due to an agreement I took.
    Sure, I understand the military but you also have your own judicial system in the military. I don't know if regular people can do it.

Quote Originally Posted by AlmostThere View Post
    It's only cheaper on the front end though. When out freedoms are stripped so that we are sufficiently outraged, we will stand and fight. Of course by then we are fighting a far greater battle for much higher stakes. Being moral cowards doesn't strike me as very cost effective.
    You have to remember - they are not free to act as citizens are - and they have to pay for these law suits out of tax moneys and who wants to see their taxes go up? If there was a loser pay system - things would be different.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.