Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 25
  1. #11  
    Senior Member stsinner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,525
    In a perfect America they'd have trouble finding a cop willing to make the arrest.
    Obama-if you're being run out of town, get out in front and pretend that it's a parade!!!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #12  
    Senior Member AlmostThere's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    A Great Red State
    Posts
    1,920
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    You have to remember - they are not free to act as citizens are - and they have to pay for these law suits out of tax moneys and who wants to see their taxes go up? If there was a loser pay system - things would be different.
    That is where we differ. I believe they are just citizens, first and foremost, citizens of the United States with all the rights and liberties afforded citizens by the Constitution.

    Would you like to reword the part where you suggest we should be willing to forfeit our rights so they don't raise our taxes? I realize those weren't your words but that is what I read.

    I'm sure you've noticed my sig line. Honestly, there are few things in this world that I believe more than that sentiment. My Grandmother never spoke these words to me, but the way she lived her life told me there are things way, way worse than dying.
    Better to die on your feet than live on your knees.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #13  
    CU's Tallest Midget! PoliCon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh PA
    Posts
    25,328
    Quote Originally Posted by AlmostThere View Post
    That is where we differ. I believe they are just citizens, first and foremost, citizens of the United States with all the rights and liberties afforded citizens by the Constitution.

    Would you like to reword the part where you suggest we should be willing to forfeit our rights so they don't raise our taxes? I realize those weren't your words but that is what I read.

    I'm sure you've noticed my sig line. Honestly, there are few things in this world that I believe more than that sentiment. My Grandmother never spoke these words to me, but the way she lived her life told me there are things way, way worse than dying.
    The principal is a citizen, but the school district is not. And when push comes to shove - people will give in on issues of prayer in school to keep their taxes low.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #14  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,819
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    Because it's cheaper to give in than to fight these lawsuits.
    Especially when facing the nigh-limitless funding of the ACLU. If you're small potatoes, they'll just drag out the case and drain you dry so you can't fight it anymore.
    OPEACHMENT NOW!!!

    Stinger:
    "I was... ordered to drop my pants, bend over and spread my cheeks."
    --RagingInMiami achieving the DUmp's highest level of nirvana
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #15  
    CU's Tallest Midget! PoliCon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh PA
    Posts
    25,328
    Quote Originally Posted by jinxmchue View Post
    Especially when facing the nigh-limitless funding of the ACLU. If you're small potatoes, they'll just drag out the case and drain you dry so you can't fight it anymore.
    yup
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #16  
    Senior Member AlmostThere's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    A Great Red State
    Posts
    1,920
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    The principal is a citizen, but the school district is not. And when push comes to shove - people will give in on issues of prayer in school to keep their taxes low.
    Yes they will. And in the 90's the economy was cruising along and Bill Clinton had one scandal after another. But because we were making money, whatever Bill did really didn't seem to matter. We were a nation of whores. Look at the moral damage we inflicted on this country by selling out. We are doing the same thing when we sell our rights to avoid a lawsuit but the outcome will be worse. Is it really worth it? Pretty soon when we have no rights left to barter with, what do we do then?
    Better to die on your feet than live on your knees.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #17  
    Senior Member AlmostThere's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    A Great Red State
    Posts
    1,920
    Quote Originally Posted by jinxmchue View Post
    Especially when facing the nigh-limitless funding of the ACLU. If you're small potatoes, they'll just drag out the case and drain you dry so you can't fight it anymore.
    If we really believe the ACLU and like-minded organizations are destroying this country why aren't people who want to stop them organizing and supporting each other? If this country were invaded from external forces, wouldn't we organize and pool resources to protect our country? What's different? Either we care about this country or we don't.
    Better to die on your feet than live on your knees.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #18  
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    167
    Hmmmmmm, ANOTHER usurpation of the American People's freedom which got rolling on Dubya's watch.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #19  
    Senior Member Zathras's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    San Jose, California
    Posts
    6,280
    Quote Originally Posted by PALEOCON View Post
    Hmmmmmm, ANOTHER usurpation of the American People's freedom which got rolling on Dubya's watch.
    Hmmm, your BDS is showing Paleoconman....now Bush controls the ACLU? Why don't you run over to DU little boy. They seem to be your kind of people.
    Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #20  
    Power CUer noonwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Warren, MI
    Posts
    12,572
    I don't think teachers in public schools should lead classes in prayer, or give religious advice to students. I don't think public schools should endorse religious activities. Those are the activities in which I see the school personnel crossing the line from religious neutrality.


    This doesn't fall in either category. Even if the teacher/principal agreed not to participate in religious activities during school hours or in the capacity of the job, this is one prayer at a dinner to appreciate some adults who gave of themselves to help the school. It's petty and silly for anyone to complain about it, and it's even more petty for a prosecutor to file charges/allow charges to be filed.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •