Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 'Fastest Dying Cities' Meet for a Lively Talk 
    Banned
    'Fastest Dying Cities' Meet for a Lively Talk

By DOUGLAS BELKIN
    (See Corrections & Amplifications below.)

DAYTON, Ohio -- Here's an idea for saving Rust Belt cities: Tell bloggers and radio stations to stop calling your town a basket case.

That was one suggestion from representatives of eight of the 10 cities labeled last year as America's fastest dying. They met at the Dayton Convention Center last weekend to swap ideas about how to halt the long skid that's turned cities like Detroit, Cleveland and Buffalo, N.Y., into shorthand for dystopia.

The city representatives lunched on $6 sloppy Joes and commiserated through Power Point strategy sessions: Lure back former residents, entice entrepreneurs and artists, convert blighted pockets into parkland.

What emerged was a sense of desperation over the difficulty of rebounding from both real problems -- declining populations, dwindling tax bases -- and perceived woes.

Representatives of Dayton, Detroit, Cleveland, Buffalo; Canton and Youngstown, Ohio; Flint, Mich.; and Charleston, W.Va., took turns talking about their plans. There was little discussion of how cities might pay for the initiatives.

More...
    Interesting article. I was curious as to the other two cities so I went to the original Forbes article and they are Scranton, PA and Springfield, MA. While I've been to a number of these cities, I'm particularly familiar with Springfield and it's a pretty sad place. I91 is a disaster area in and around Springfield and the town, home of Mass Mutual and Smith and Wesson, is rapidly becoming a ghost town.

We went there a few months back to evaluate a dental practice and there was no way either of us would consider living there. It's a shame too, as the area just to the west, the Berkshires, is one of the most beautiful areas in MA. Additionally, Northampton, home of Smith College, is a fun little college town only a few miles north.

People with middle class incomes and children will not move back to Detroit unless crime is seriously reduced and the schools are drastically improved. That's not going to happen unless there are more jobs for people in the area in general.

Dave Bing may turn out to be a good mayor. Things can improve quickly with good leadership-Dennis Archer's administration in the 90s is a good example of that. Crime went down, the schools got slightly better when the state took them over, and he kept the black middle class in the city.

They're filming the remake of Red Dawn here in September-I suspect they wanted an urban setting with a bombed-out look to it.

Perhaps we should nuke them from orbit... just to be sure.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

I've spent lots of time in Springfield and it's really bad. But the deadest city I've ever seen is Gary Indiana.

Here's a video I shot of the place last weekend. I'm planning on doing a photo shoot there and was scouting locations. I wanted to show the model where we might be going.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsxoYEBvD8c

Let's say out of 100 buildings right downtown and within 3 blocks of the City Hall, maybe 10 of them aren't boarded up.
    I like to shoot people with my CANON.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    People with middle class incomes and children will not move back to Detroit unless crime is seriously reduced and the schools are drastically improved. That's not going to happen unless there are more jobs for people in the area in general.

Dave Bing may turn out to be a good mayor. Things can improve quickly with good leadership-Dennis Archer's administration in the 90s is a good example of that. Crime went down, the schools got slightly better when the state took them over, and he kept the black middle class in the city.

They're filming the remake of Red Dawn here in September-I suspect they wanted an urban setting with a bombed-out look to it.
    They are remaking Red Dawn???

It could be good.
    Liberals are proof that evolution is only a theory. Nothing that stupid could evolve past a monkey.

Quote Originally Posted by Full-Auto View Post
    I've spent lots of time in Springfield and it's really bad. But the deadest city I've ever seen is Gary Indiana.

Here's a video I shot of the place last weekend. I'm planning on doing a photo shoot there and was scouting locations. I wanted to show the model where we might be going.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsxoYEBvD8c

Let's say out of 100 buildings right downtown and within 3 blocks of the City Hall, maybe 10 of them aren't boarded up.
    How times have changed...

Gary, Indiana!
    What a wonderful name,
    Named for Elbert Gary of judiciary fame.
    Gary, Indiana, as a Shakespeare would say,
    Trips along softly on the tongue this way--
    Gary, Indiana, Gary Indiana, Gary, Indiana,
    Let me say it once again.
    Gary, Indiana, Gary, Indiana, Gary, Indiana,
    That's the town that "knew me when."
    If you'd like to have a logical explanation
    How I happened on this elegant syncopation,
    I will say without a moment of hesitation
    There is just one place
    That can light my face.
    Gary, Indiana,
    Gary Indiana,
    Not Louisiana, Paris, France, New York, or Rome, but--
    Gary, Indiana,
    Gary, Indiana,
    Gary Indiana,
    My home sweet home.

rm -rf obama*

What a sad sight to see that majestic church delapidated like that! That really is a sad town. The first thing I thought of was John Cougar singing, "I grew up in the steel mills near Gary.." Guess it was a different place then.
    Obama-if you're being run out of town, get out in front and pretend that it's a parade!!!

maybe it's time to level these cities and move on. I don't understand why people feel that these cities need to be saved just because they exist.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Our population is moving west. It's also aging as the boomers retire and move somewhere more comfortable. It's part of the ebb and flow. Cities have to be creative and reinvent themselves if they want to attract people back.

Quote Originally Posted by Lager View Post
    Our population is moving west. It's also aging as the boomers retire and move somewhere more comfortable. It's part of the ebb and flow. Cities have to be creative and reinvent themselves if they want to attract people back.
    Actually - it's more a matter of people moving out and the suburbanization process. People move AWAY from problems and crippling taxes. It's no secret that most suburbs have lower tax rates than the cities they surround.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.