Thread: 'Fastest Dying Cities' Meet for a Lively Talk

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Don't you mean "dahntahn"? :p
    admit it - it's stunning to see :) There you are driving along the highway surrounded by green and then you go through the tunnel and WHAM - you're downtown! You see the stadiums - point state park and the fountain - one of the most beautiful skylines in the world . . . station square . . . . all the bridges . . . . it's a visually stunning experience.
    Last edited by PoliCon; 08-14-2009 at 02:12 PM.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    admit it - it's stunning to see :) There you are driving along the highway surrounded by green and then you go through the tunnel and WHAM - you're downtown! You see the stadiums - point state park and the fountain - one of the most beautiful skylines in the world . . . station square . . . . all the bridges . . . . it's a visually stunning experience.
    Yes, it's great. I'm not sure why all the bridges are yellow, though. My husband is talking about maybe getting a part-time place there, to be near his extended family. We're going to see how "The Residences" look as they get closer to construction. I also like the funky Otto Milk condos in the Strip, but I think he wants the Big River View if we do it at all.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

I'm not sure why all the bridges are yellow, though.
    That's easy - it's the "golden triangle."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Downtown_Pittsburgh

http://pghbridges.com/

Power CUer
    "Aztec Gold" is the color? They look yellow to me. :)
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

I saw this article yesterday and wondered, how many of those cities are ran by democrats?

100% is my guess.

It is sad for those cities and those who have to live there. Won't they ever learn, that leadership, as far as Mayors and City Councilmen is where to start?

I know they like the "status quo".

I have lived in the liberal utopia of Minneapolis for 12 years...

"Aztec Gold" is the color? They look yellow to me. :)
    Well now you know why they are all 'yellow.' I prefer yellow to the mucky grey that they painted our local bridge. Of course they painted it grey because they REnamed it after the old Homestead Gray's baseball team. Of course - no one calls it that. Everyone still just calls it the High Level bridge.

This is what you used to see as you crossed the bridge -

Now it's a bustling shopping area. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Teetop View Post
    I saw this article yesterday and wondered, how many of those cities are ran by democrats?
    WORSE - those cities are all controlled by big labor.

Power CUer
    It's interesting that we're talking about Pittsburgh on a "dying cities" thread, since it's anything but. It reinvented itself when the steel industry died. It's been solidly Dem since the FDR era, at least.

It's interesting that we're talking about Pittsburgh on a "dying cities" thread, since it's anything but. It reinvented itself when the steel industry died. It's been solidly Dem since the FDR era, at least.
    But the city itself is still bleeding money and population. The current plan is to absorb all or most of Allegheny county into the city merging and making the two one and the same.

I think that if decaying urban centers really want to reinvent themselves, they need to pay attention to what the average working couple with kids wants and then pay attention to what the average retired couple wants. Reinventing yourself to cater to the needs of single young adults isn't a long term answer. More "art", high-end shopping, and expensive dining isn't a sustainable solution.

You need a lot of green space, safe transportation, reasonably priced retail and dining, entertainment that isn't exclusively "ironic", and foundational kinds of businesses that ordinary people frequent every week.