Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsSmith View Post
    One of the primary expressions of "society's duty to provide healthcare" has always been the Christian-owned hospitals. From the very beginning, they charged those who could afford to pay, and gave away care to the indigent and poor. They still do exactly this...my hospital gave away over 7 million last year.

The biggest difference from founding to today is...you'll never guess...government interference. The government has tirelessly imposed draconian regulations, set reimbursement rates below cost, insisted on massive spending, and allowed ridiculous amounts in law suits. One particular unit of my hospital now spends $2000 every month for a procedure that used to be performed annually. It is now performed monthly
    ...not because we had any bad test results
    ...not because any patients were sickened
    ...not to provide any benefit for our patients at all
    ...but simply and totally due to changes in government regulations.

One unit, out of over 50 different departments in my hospital, and the government has caused them to spend an extra $22,000 this year.

Want to know why healthcare is so expensive? It's because Uncle Sam and his lawyers have their teeth set into it.
    Key words - reimbursement rates - through government sponsored programs, WE the taxpayers already pay for the care of those who cannot afford it, and have been for a long time. Its gone both ways... those hospitals have been able to give care away, because Uncle Sam "sunk his teeth" into it.

Guess who the politicians are that generally frown upon and slash such programs?
    Last edited by wilbur; 08-15-2009 at 01:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wilbur View Post
    Key words - reimbursement rates - through government sponsored programs, WE the taxpayers already pay for the care of those who cannot afford it, and have been for a long time. Its gone both ways... those hospitals have been able to give care away, because Uncle Sam "sunk his teeth" into it.

Guess who the politicians are that generally frown upon and slash such programs?
    You totally ignore the fact that services were given away long before Uncle Sam stuck "his" nose into it and bulldozed the whole thing into something "he" was willing to throw money at. Never enough money to make up for "his" ridiculous regulations, but enough to keep the institutions somewhat afloat. Without that interference, the hospitals would still be running as Christian charities, and would not be bending over and "taking it" from Uncle Sam at every turn.

The politicians that try to back Uncle Sam out of such things are the ones that understand "his" constitutional rights and duties.
    -
    -
    -

In actual dollars, President Obama’s $4.4 trillion in deficit spending in just three years is 37 percent higher than the previous record of $3.2 trillion (held by President George W. Bush) in deficit spending for an entire presidency. It’s no small feat to demolish an 8-year record in just 3 years.

Under Obama’s own projections, interest payments on the debt are on course to triple from 2010 (his first budgetary year) to 2018, climbing from $196 billion to $685 billion annually.

Wilbur, am I mistaken when I recall that you often describe yourself as a "fiscal conservative" or a small government guy"?