Thread: Help Needed! Barbecue Beef Ribs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Help Needed! Barbecue Beef Ribs 
    Power CUer
    We have some back ribs for dinner tonight and I've read so many recipes my head is spinning. Some say to start them in the oven, and some say to start by BOILING them. What's the best way, or are we already way too late since it's after 3.30 pm??
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    They're beef?
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

Okay, I've never cooked beef ribs but this recipe looks pretty good. With the amount of time you have it should work.

Beef Back Ribs Recipes

Prep: 10 minutes
    Cook: 2� hours
    Servings: Serves 6-8

2 racks of beef back ribs (7 ribs per rack)
    2 Tbsp. black pepper
    1 Tbsp. ground oregano
    1 Tbsp. paprika
    2 tsp. celery salt
    1/2 tsp. ground cayenne pepper

Combine all spices. Rub over surface of ribs to coat well.

Preheat oven to 300�F.

Place ribs on a rack in a roasting pan. Add 1/2-inch of water to
    bottom of pan. Cover pan with foil and tightly seal edges.

Bake at 300�F for 2 hours.

Remove ribs from pan and place on grill over medium coals for 15
    minutes. Serve with your favorite barbecue sauce.

Cut between ribs to serve.

If you don't have a grill or indoor grill, finishing them in a hot oven is about all you can do.

Power CUer
    Thanks, Bubba. Roasting them OVER water makes a lot more sense than boiling them.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Thanks, Bubba. Roasting them OVER water makes a lot more sense than boiling them.
    I'm doing some pork ribs right now. I start 'em in the oven, finish 'em on the grill. What makes ribs tender is to break down the collagen in the tissue. Cooking low and slow is what most people recommend. There are any number of ways to accomplish it but this should do pretty well.

If you have extra time, drop the heat after a couple hours and let 'em cook longer. Just test the meat to see how tender it is.

Power CUer
    They're already in the slow oven so we'll see how this goes.... (fingers crossed, pizza place on speed dial...)

They're already in the slow oven so we'll see how this goes.... (fingers crossed, pizza place on speed dial...)
    They'll be fine. What are you serving with them?

Power CUer
    Grill is nearly ready, and ribs are smelling good in that slow oven. The spices I used were ones I love for beef - paprika, cumin, and cinnamon. We're having cole slaw and (at spouse's unexpected request) corn bread with it. Will report back on the results!

Grill is nearly ready, and ribs are smelling good in that slow oven. The spices I used were ones I love for beef - paprika, cumin, and cinnamon. We're having cole slaw and (at spouse's unexpected request) corn bread with it. Will report back on the results!
    Sounds wonderful. Cornbread is my favorite bread.

You can tell I grew up in therural south I guess. Cornbread. Boiled veggies. PORK.

I cooked my pork ribs tonight the same way as in the recipe I found for you. They turned out really good. Very tender and moist.

They were Texas Style Ribs. I've never bought them or even seen them. Very meaty. A different cut.

You don't put sugar in your cornbread do you....?!!??!! :eek::D

Power CUer
    This was cornbread from the store, and apparently they do sugar it; it was like eating cake.

The recipe turned out pretty well. I do think I like pork ribs better. In winter I love beef short ribs, but I think they are better for braising than any other method.