Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 It's Two A.M. You hear a noise... 
    Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Pick a tactical light and a firearm.

I know there is a question of whether or not you turn on a flashlight or not. That's a tactical question and depends on a lot of factors. But if it's dark i want to have a light with me so I have an option.

In this scenario I'm talking about being inside my house. I'd also be curious about outdoors too if anybody wants to offer an opinion.

I don't have a real tactical light and don't know much about 'em.
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    If you are talking about some neighborhood kid trying to break into your house it doesn't make much difference .If you turn on the outside lights they will likely leave.

Those motion sensing outside lights are great at keeping strange people away from your property at night and an armed serious professional wouldn't go after your house in the first place .

IMHO it's best to wait a bit but be ready to defend yourself and your family if they are armed.Don't show a light, that will just gives them a place to aim but move away from them quietly .

After a while you should be able to figure out where they are and what they are doing .You remain in control and know more about the house than they do.

It's better to stay away from them for as long as possible and have hopefully called the cops on your cell phone.

If you start blasting away and kill a dumb drugged up neighbors kid you will feel awful for the rest of your life but the same time you don't want to be shot by some critter .

I am all for defending my property from house breakers and if one of them were to start shooting I wouldn't have a problem with blasting back with my twelve gauge but if you are able to move away from them for awhile that to me makes more sense until help arrives.

That's why having a good sized dog or two makes a lot of sense,early warning .To me a tactical light is for after the shooting is over.IR Goggles are another matter .

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Since it's only me and SLW in the house I don't need a light.

Anything that looks like a body is going to be vented by a .357 Mag
    Hollow Point bullet. :D

I can hit em out the front door too...:p
    May the FORCE be with you!

Banned
    It's 4 am and you awake only to look into the abyss. There is no good, no evil; no hope, no despair; no future, no past; no Yaweh, no Satan.. Only the abyss. Only the darkness. Only the nothingness. What do you do? Say hallelujah and, of a sudden, believe in God?

Thanks guys.

Looking for a light here. A tactical flashlight.

I have a Model 92 Beretta. That will be in my hand.

Watch. Wait. Listen.

Got it.

I saw a cool light that mounts under the barrel of a shotgun for outside. I'd like a light that I can carry with me and turn on as needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal Wizard View Post
    It's 4 am and you awake only to look into the abyss. There is no good, no evil; no hope, no despair; no future, no past; no Yaweh, no Satan.. Only the abyss. Only the darkness. Only the nothingness. What do you do? Say hallelujah and, of a sudden, believe in God?
    I have looked into the Abyss, Noble Mon......and at that exact moment....the Abyss looked back into ....me.....:eek::D

Just keep the unloaded Mossberg next to your bed, and when you hear an intruder, reach over and cock it forcefully. Then roll back over and go back to sleep.. You'll be alone again soon.

My only recommendation, especially in this commie state, is to shoot center-mass and shoot to kill, firing only one time. You don't want them to survive to sue you, but you don't want to look like you're trigger-happy. And if you shoot for the head you'll likely go down for murder with our messed-up judicial system. A well-placed single shot center mass looks like you were just using enough force to protect your life and diffuse the situation. If they die, they die, but at least you don't look like an animal.

Then I'd lock your gun back up and wait for the police with your hands up so you are not mistaken for the perp. And DON'T SAY A WORD TO ANYONE!! That's the most important thing! Don't speak to anyone but your lawyer, and don't leave the scene! Your gun will probably be taken from you for now, and you'll probably be arrested until the court case plays out, but that's just what has to happen. You'll likely be exonerated and then you'll get your gun back, so don't act like an ass at the scene-there's no stopping the procedure once it's begun.

Nothing against cops, but they aren't your friend! And if you watch a video that, I believe, Megi posted a month, or so, ago, it was pointed out that whatever you say to a cop that can be used against you will be-and it will be admissible, but anything that you say that can help you will be objected to as hearsay and will be thrown out.

Regarding the light, I have a very bright 3W LED that is blinding, but that would be a tough call.

When I took my firearms safety course to get my license to carry, the instructor said to carry them when you're out at night because it disorients a potential attacker when you shine it in their eyes, and, especially for the ladies, it can afford you a hasty exit from the situation while the perp waits for his night vision to come back.
    Obama-if you're being run out of town, get out in front and pretend that it's a parade!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba Dawg View Post
    Thanks guys.

Looking for a light here. A tactical flashlight.

I have a Model 92 Beretta. That will be in my hand.

Watch. Wait. Listen.

Got it.

I saw a cool light that mounts under the barrel of a shotgun for outside. I'd like a light that I can carry with me and turn on as needed.
    Buy a Streamlight from www.galls.com like this one. As a firefighter, we abuse our lights, and Streamlight has never let me down. And it's one of the brightest flashlights available!
    Last edited by stsinner; 08-16-2009 at 07:50 AM.
    Obama-if you're being run out of town, get out in front and pretend that it's a parade!!!

Second the Streamlights.
    Great tactical flashlights.

At 0200 at my house, you get to meet a Benelli M4 loaded with 8 rounds of 00 buck.

rm -rf obama*

Quote Originally Posted by stsinner View Post
    Buy a Stramlight from www.galls.com like this one. As a firefighter, we abuse our lights, and Streamlight has never let me down. And it's one of the brightest flashlights available!
    Thanks. Yep. I'll put my back against a wall and wait any time I can. I do love the cavalry.

Thing is, where I live, on the Mountain, i'm a good ten minutes from the cavalry arriving.

This light is interesting....