View Poll Results: Do You Believe In Life After Death?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, my religon is clear on this.

32 56.14%
  • Yes, but not for everyone.

2 3.51%
  • Yes, but I'm hazy on the details.

7 12.28%
  • I have no idea.

6 10.53%
  • Sort of, it's probably some kind of reincarnation.

4 7.02%
  • No, we just die.

6 10.53%
  • The Jooooos!

0 0%
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Believing in something after death is a child's fairytale. Hence my intense hatred for those that spend their precious days being a junkie or drunk. One turn around the track and the worst thing you can do is piss time away. No reruns.
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Quote Originally Posted by LogansPapa View Post
    Believing in something after death is a child's fairytale. Hence my intense hatred for those that spend their precious days being a junkie or drunk. One turn around the track and the worst thing you can do is piss time away. No reruns.

First, are you comparing junkies to people who believe in the afterlife? Secod, why bother living at all if there is no life after death? Thats what I don't get about non believers. I really don't see the point in life if there was nothing after it.

John
    Where's the, "I have a pretty good idea..." option?

This is a hard question for me. The scientist in me says no. No way, no how. The scientist in me knows that my entire experience of existence could be ended by violence, accident or hardships brought on by a number of probabilities. I try to mitigate against these probabilities as best I can. However, even if my life is not ended by a twist of fate, the end is inevitable. My mitochondria are producing free radicals as I type this, which are causing very tiny shifts in my DNA. This leads to the process of aging. Due to these predictable and thus far unavoidable changes, my cells will lose their abilities. My skin will loose elasticity, pigments that color my hair will be lost, and my tissues will lose their abilities to effectively regenerate.

The scientist in me knows that my ability to conceptualize, and my very own pathos is simply a series of chemical reactions and electrical connections which take place within my nervous system. A system who's functionality is dependent upon my other, aging and dying, cells for sustenance. One day that sustenance will run out. My cardiopulmonary system will no longer be able to feed my nervous core, and my consciousness will grow dark. The scientist in me predicts that the end of me will be like before the beginning of me. There will be nothing. No thought, no light, no dark, only nothingness will remain of me and I will no longer even know that existence existed.

Another part of me knows that this cannot be the case! Unless you listen to Kucinich, we are the only beings discovered in all of creation who possess the ability to understand and conceptualize the world around us even to the point of understanding our own death. We are the only species ever observed who can understand the end of our existence. I think that is significant and not to be overlooked.

This world, this existence, we live in didn't spring from nowhere. Matter and energy cannot be created nor destroyed under any law or circumstances we know of. Therefore it's logical to conclude that the whole of existence, which is based on energy and matter, came from somewhere. I firmly believe that said 'somewhere' is where our consciousness, our identity, ends up when we are no longer here. The alternative is to believe that the sum of your life, your entire tenure on this earth amounts to the same nothingness as Charles Manson's, Ted Bundy's and Ernesto "Che" Guevara's. Though the idea raises volumes of questions about morality and justice, it is pretty much impossible to accept.
    Last edited by John; 07-13-2008 at 06:21 AM.

Yes, as an aspiring minister. I believe in God's Throne of Judgment, and try my hardest to be ready for the day when it'll be my turn to stand before Him.

Quote Originally Posted by LogansPapa View Post
    Who cares? Really, why do you give a shit what someone else does with their "one turn"? One might say having intense hatred for others based on their choices in the context of a life that has no connection to anything wider than itself, and is thereby meaningless, is itself a most pointless waste of time.
    “When the doctor is out, I’m in.”

Sonnabend
    Believing in something after death is a child's fairytale.
    I have about thirty near death experiences related to me that says otherwise.I also have the testimony of people who were dead and were revived..and what they tell me is in stark contrast to your glib ignorance.

One turn around the track and the worst thing you can do is piss time away. No reruns.
    Then what are you doing here?

Goldwater
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonnabend View Post
    I have about thirty near death experiences related to me that says otherwise.I also have the testimony of people who were dead and were revived..and what they tell me is in stark contrast to your glib ignorance.
    Not to say there isn't life after death, but people who are revived aren't dead in the same way the dead are, otherwise we'd have revived them already right?

I don't feel comfortable talking about my beliefs but Rush said the neatest thing about Tony Snow this morning.

"He was so loyal to God that he looked at death as a promotion."

Quote Originally Posted by nacho View Post
    Who cares? Really, why do you give a shit what someone else does with their "one turn"? One might say having intense hatred for others based on their choices in the context of a life that has no connection to anything wider than itself, and is thereby meaningless, is itself a most pointless waste of time.

Because, silly asshole, my tax dollars haul their scumbag asses to jail, the hospital, feed them and put them through rehab. Grasp it now?
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Quote Originally Posted by Dyne View Post
    First, are you comparing junkies to people who believe in the afterlife? Secod, why bother living at all if there is no life after death? Thats what I don't get about non believers. I really don't see the point in life if there was nothing after it.

Because - even without a God, life is a gift and to piss it away is a waste.