View Poll Results: Do You Believe In Life After Death?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, my religon is clear on this.

32 56.14%
  • Yes, but not for everyone.

2 3.51%
  • Yes, but I'm hazy on the details.

7 12.28%
  • I have no idea.

6 10.53%
  • Sort of, it's probably some kind of reincarnation.

4 7.02%
  • No, we just die.

6 10.53%
  • The Jooooos!

0 0%
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonnabend View Post
    I have about thirty near death experiences related to me that says otherwise.I also have the testimony of people who were dead and were revived..and what they tell me is in stark contrast to your glib ignorance.
    You have thirty bullshit stories from people who didn't have enough air to their brains, and because that regularly happens to you - you related to them. So what?

Quote Originally Posted by Sonnabend View Post
    Then what are you doing here?
    Showing how powerless you are.;)
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Quote Originally Posted by Goldwater View Post
    Not to say there isn't life after death, but people who are revived aren't dead in the same way the dead are, otherwise we'd have revived them already right?
    When I had a stroke I had an experience that would best be described as having "my life flashed before my eyes". I had visions of my son riding his bike, my husband working on his car and seeing myself (through my eyes) walking down the grocery store aisle. They were snippets and very quick. I think it was because my brain was misfiring, I don't think it had anything to do with being "on the verge of death".

I believe in an afterlife. The energy that is 'us' goes somewhere at death.
    The poster formerly known as chuck58 on the old board.

Quote Originally Posted by LogansPapa View Post
    Because - even without a God, life is a gift and to piss it away is a waste.
    A gift? From what/whom? Why do you insist on using religious justifications and terminology while denying religious truth?

my tax dollars haul their scumbag asses to jail, the hospital, feed them and put them through rehab.
    Uh, which answer are you going with there, chief? Because they're wasting a "gift" or because some of them go to jail? And if that's it why didn't you include the vast numbers of other sorts of people who go to jail? And why do you object to people going to rehab, even on your dime? If it helps them make better use of their "gift" then isn't it worth it?
    “When the doctor is out, I’m in.”

Goldwater
    Quote Originally Posted by BEG View Post
    When I had a stroke I had an experience that would best be described as having "my life flashed before my eyes". I had visions of my son riding his bike, my husband working on his car and seeing myself (through my eyes) walking down the grocery store aisle. They were snippets and very quick. I think it was because my brain was misfiring, I don't think it had anything to do with being "on the verge of death".
    Well, thats nice that happened, but if I understand you correctly that doesn't allude to any afterlife or that there isn't one.

Another thought on the afterlife. My mother passed away in 1994. At around 3AM, I received a call from my sister, who lives near Seattle Washington, asking if everything was okay with Mom or if I'd heard anything. Before I could reply, or make my half asleep mouth work, she said that she and my brother in law were awakened around 2:30AM by a light in their bedroom.

She said, this is also verified by my brother in law, that they saw our mother standing at the end of the bed looking down at them. After several seconds, she vanished.

My sister said she had tried to call Albuquerque, where our folks lived, but got no answer. I told her the last I'd heard, a couple of days before, all was fine. I live in Northern New Mexico, 150 miles away.

To make a long story short, at about 6AM, my father called to advise that our mother had died some hours earlier. She was pronounced dead at 2:15AM after being taken by ambulance to the hospital.

I have no explanation, and if my sister alone had seen the apparition(?) I'd say it was a psychic type thing. My brother in law though saw it too.
    The poster formerly known as chuck58 on the old board.

I guess I lean toward no. I'm also in no hurry to learn firsthand.
    2009 CU Pro Football Pick'em Champ

Quote Originally Posted by LogansPapa View Post
    Because, silly asshole, my tax dollars haul their scumbag asses to jail, the hospital, feed them and put them through rehab. Grasp it now?
    But then again your tax dollars would be going to some other "pointless" venture if it wasn't going to treatment centers or jails so what does it really matter what our tax dollars fund? I'm not really happy that a single penny that I pay goes to NPR or Planned Parenthood but the government chooses to spend my hard earned dollars friviously and their isn't much I can do about it.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by nacho View Post
    A gift? From what/whom? Why do you insist on using religious justifications and terminology while denying religious truth?

Uh, which answer are you going with there, chief? Because they're wasting a "gift" or because some of them go to jail? And if that's it why didn't you include the vast numbers of other sorts of people who go to jail? And why do you object to people going to rehab, even on your dime? If it helps them make better use of their "gift" then isn't it worth it?
    That is a very astute observation. Either life is some random accident that has no point and with nothing to look forward to or it is a gift from a creator who gives even greater gifts to those who listen toHIm and believe in His word and obey His commands.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Goldwater
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    That is a very astute observation. Either life is some random accident that has no point and with nothing to look forward to or it is a gift from a creator who gives even greater gifts to those who listen toHIm and believe in His word and obey His commands.
    The second option sounds a heck of a lot better, but that doesn't make it true, I hope it is though.