Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    gator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumpy View Post
    Looks great, as always, P45. I did the grilling thing for a few years, with the offset firebox, splitting the wood myself, preburning it before I put it into the firebox. I did okay with it, but eventually gave the whole thing away. I fussed over it too much, and was never really happy with the turnout.. never really found that perfect temp.. no flame, just coals, etc.

I often work near a real BBQ place that actually knows how to do it right. I usually bring a container of the meat home..rolls and cabbage slaw on the side to assemble later. mmmm.
    When I moved to Washington state I realized that nobody up there knew how to BBQ. In fact they didn't even know what BBQ was. They thought grilling was BBQing. Dumbasses.

I bought an offfset firebox smoker so that I could fix my own BBQ. It took me about two years to get it down pat. There is a learning curve.

I found out the best way was to use a bed of regular hardwood coals. Usually the wood was apple because that was available in Washington. Then use hickory wood to provide the good flavor smoke.

Now that I am back in the South I have no need to do my own BBQ. I can find all I want nearby.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba Dawg View Post
    That Bar-B-Que does look good P45. Just messin' :D

Since my folks sold the bar-b-que restaurant I don't have access to a for-real pit so I make do, and it's pretty da-gone good.

Still, low and slow, and smoke makes it good.
    I can testify that no one cooks like Patriot45. Too bad Gator couldn't stop by. Jeskibuff, SR and I had an absolute feast.

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    I can testify that no one cooks like Patriot45. Too bad Gator couldn't stop by. Jeskibuff, SR and I had an absolute feast.

Oh yeah well, Scott, Melanie, DS and I had great food too, kinda...so there!:p
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    Oh yeah well, Scott, Melanie, DS and I had great food too, kinda...so there!:p
    Felt bad that Pat45 and Robin stayed up til 1:30am making all those delicious Beef Wellingtons. Glad you had good food, sad that the board went down at the wrong time.

Quote Originally Posted by gator View Post
    When I moved to Washington state I realized that nobody up there knew how to BBQ. In fact they didn't even know what BBQ was. They thought grilling was BBQing. Dumbasses.

I bought an offfset firebox smoker so that I could fix my own BBQ. It took me about two years to get it down pat. There is a learning curve.

I found out the best way was to use a bed of regular hardwood coals. Usually the wood was apple because that was available in Washington. Then use hickory wood to provide the good flavor smoke.

Now that I am back in the South I have no need to do my own BBQ. I can find all I want nearby.
    We have a few places that have stands at the local fairs, and carnivals. They dont compete with the one I buy from that only grills in the warm months as it is easier for them to help keep the temp stable.

I spent about 2 summers with my offset firebox smoker, and never could write home about the results. And boy did I try. I tried all sorts of wood. My temp was either too hot or too cold. I could never stabilize it to my satisfaction. I was trying for an all day smoking project. 10-14 hours or so. I wanted to perfect a brisquit, or pulled pork. In the end, I added tons of flavoring to the stuff, and folks fussed over it, but I was never happy with it.

Felt bad that Pat45 and Robin stayed up til 1:30am making all those delicious Beef Wellingtons. Glad you had good food, sad that the board went down at the wrong time.
    Stop! We all felt sooo bad for Pat45 with the food situation. I still blame your husband for that fiasco.

Stop! We all felt sooo bad for Pat45 with the food situation. I still blame your husband for that fiasco.
    Please!! Remember, Mapquest is your friend, especially a printout before the event. I stayed late at work tonight to print the mapquest directions for a couple biz appointments.

Please!! Remember, Mapquest is your friend, especially a printout before the event. I stayed late at work tonight to print the mapquest directions for a couple biz appointments.
    You need an ADDRESS for mapquest! I was never given directions. I blame DS and SR. You don't even want to know the hilarity of that morning between me and Scott on the phone trying to figure out where Pat45 lived.:D

You need an ADDRESS for mapquest! I was never given directions. I blame DS and SR. You don't even want to know the hilarity of that morning between me and Scott on the phone trying to figure out where Pat45 lived.:D
    This is a good thread! Did you ever get there, Shannon? Pics should prolly be posted.

Pat sent directions to everyone. We were in Sanibel and travelling. It was our vacation. Sadly it was a comedy of errors. Scott sent a message to my old email address from NU from a long time ago. I never check it-----well hardly ever. Checked it after we got home.

SR had sent his phone # numerous times to Gator, who said he didn't have it. How in the world was it SR's fault?

It's taught me not to have one of these gatherings here. It reminded me of a stupid political fundraiser I had hosted. 200 invitations were sent out. I was really sweating it that too many would show up. Know how Pat felt. I had food for at least 100 and about 25 showed up. Guess people didn't understand the meaning of RSVP. I never, ever had another one.