1. #1 I just spent all day installing an "easy to install" air conditioner 
    First I had to get some 2x4s to stack up to get the unit 1/2 inch above the storm window frame. Then I had to figure out how to put on various pieces based on poorly illustrated, non-explicit directions. Then I had to try to fit the support brackets on - the holes for the screws didn't even line up with the holes on the bottom of the unit casing!!! Then I had to try to get the unit to tilt downward a little on the outside so it could drain the condensation. Then a bunch of other things went wrong. Towards the end, I started sliding the unit into the installed casing and it got stuck! It would not slide all the way in! I finally got it after a couple attempts, but then one of the locking screws wouldn't go in! Then came the time to put the inner cover on. It would not go on right! I finally just brute-forced it on, but it still seemed like it could pop off. Thankfully, there was a locking screw for that, too.

ARGH!!!!!

"Easy to install" my arse!

Man, I hate machines. And I've got two more to install!

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by jinxmchue View Post
    First I had to get some 2x4s to stack up to get the unit 1/2 inch above the storm window frame. Then I had to figure out how to put on various pieces based on poorly illustrated, non-explicit directions. Then I had to try to fit the support brackets on - the holes for the screws didn't even line up with the holes on the bottom of the unit casing!!! Then I had to try to get the unit to tilt downward a little on the outside so it could drain the condensation. Then a bunch of other things went wrong. Towards the end, I started sliding the unit into the installed casing and it got stuck! It would not slide all the way in! I finally got it after a couple attempts, but then one of the locking screws wouldn't go in! Then came the time to put the inner cover on. It would not go on right! I finally just brute-forced it on, but it still seemed like it could pop off. Thankfully, there was a locking screw for that, too.

ARGH!!!!!

After all that you will probably need new electric service to run those suckers !

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    After all that you will probably need new electric service to run those suckers !
    No, but we will need an outlet switch. We had a dedicated outlet put in for an old (literally!) A/C, but the plug had one prong sideways. The new A/C plug has parallel prongs. Not a huge deal.

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    No, but we will need an outlet switch. We had a dedicated outlet put in for an old (literally!) A/C, but the plug had one prong sideways. The new A/C plug has parallel prongs. Not a huge deal.
    What is the amperage rating on the units just installed and what size wire is run to the room outlets ?Depending on the efficiency of those units they could draw several kilo-watts each !

Banned

ARGH!!!!!

I had one installed by some jacklegs last year for 70 bucks; the one I bought this year my stepson and I installed without any problems. We did a better job than them turkeys. I would rather have window units than central air. I bought 2 Carrier's so I should not have any maintenance problems for many years. My next door neighboor has C.A. and has had the repairman out twice in the last two years. Around here, a repairman charges an arm and leg to just show up.

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    What is the amperage rating on the units just installed and what size wire is run to the room outlets ?Depending on the efficiency of those units they could draw several kilo-watts each !
    My standard answer to questions like that is, "I don't know and I don't care." Especially after spending several hours in a near-rage wanting to go all "Hulk smash!" on the damn thing.

Sorry.

Power CUer
    Central air is the answer.

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Central air is the answer.

I forgot there was any other kind!
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

noonwitch
    I had that problem last year. This year, I'm buying a new central air conditioner-my old one went out last summer, after I had already spent my tax refund. I bought a couple of cheap window units, but was only able to use one because my uncle never made it over to fix my outlet. I never even opened the other one-I'm giving it to a poor family who has an asthmatic kid, for the kid's bedroom.

I'm calling the company tonight, because it's supposed to be 90 here on Friday. I was waiting for my $600 economic stimulus package, but I'm calling to see if I can pay half now, and half in July, when I get that check. I thought I'd be getting direct deposit in May, but found that because I had HRBlock take the fee out of my refund, I have to wait for an actual check.