Thread: Feverish Friday

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Feverish Friday 
    Power CUer
    It will be hot and sticky in the DC area today, with possible monsoon rains in the afternoon.

TOTD: You're a member of Congress. The Health Care bill has to be completely reworked. There is going to be a health care bill; you can't just scuttle it completely. What one item would you put in it - a must-have?

For me, I think it would be the ban on pre-existing conditions. My husband and I have been lucky so far - "no lumps yet" - but that luck can't last forever.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Banned
    Overcast here in New England with thunderstorms later today. Finished my last gig yesterday and onto a new one in NJ on Monday. Going to drive to this one as well, as it's in northern NJ so not worth flying into Newark :eek: and renting a car there.

TOTD: I like your choice. If I added another, it would be tort reform to cap the pain and suffering component of medical malpractice suits.

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    It's hot. I was late to work because a church burned down last night and the road is still closed. I'm always looking for signs from Him so I'm wondering what He was trying to tell me there.

TOTD: I don't know. Why does there have to be a health care bill?
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

Hot and sticky. Can't y'all just assume that on all my TOTD post?

TOTD: Working in insurance, I'd say CW hit the nail on the head. Tort reform would lower malpractice premiums, which would lower doctor's fees, which would lower health premiums.

Banning limitations on pre existing conditions would increase the costs incurred by insurers, which would drive up the cost on premiums for everyone.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    Now the computer system at work has crashed. I think I was supposed to stay in bed this morning.
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    Banning limitations on pre existing conditions would increase the costs incurred by insurers, which would drive up the cost on premiums for everyone.
    Exactly, which is why it would be key to have a wider base of insured, including the younger and healthier people. This would have to be part of more nearly "universal" coverage. Hell, we have to get it on our cars....
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Another beautiful day here in Colorful Colorado. We'll have seasonal temps over the weekend and then another cool down. I made a killer beef shish kebab last night.

TOTD: I like both of the first two proposals and I'd add an immediate ban on any restrictions prohibiting enrollment in health insurance plans across state lines. If the company operates in the U.S. and is willing to enroll people from every state or territory they ought to be able to do so. No more regional monopolies.

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Exactly, which is why it would be key to have a wider base of insured, including the younger and healthier people. This would have to be part of more nearly "universal" coverage. Hell, we have to get it on our cars....
    That would help keep the premiums down, but I don't like the idea of being forced to carry insurance. It'd help my wallet out tremendously, commissions and all, but I still don't like it.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    That would help keep the premiums down, but I don't like the idea of being forced to carry insurance. It'd help my wallet out tremendously, commissions and all, but I still don't like it.
    I've never been willing to risk NOT having insurance, although my health has been good so far. It's always been provided through employers, I've always paid whatever my share is, and it's completely normal to me.

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    I've never been willing to risk NOT having insurance, although my health has been good so far. It's always been provided through employers, I've always paid whatever my share is, and it's completely normal to me.
    Just because it is a good thing to have doesn't mean it should be forced on people.