Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    Are you being sarcastic because I believe you to be smarter than your reply indicates? Factually, the Bible is very accurate as a history book.
    Perhaps, but in as much as there's zero evidence of a world wide flood, logic would dictate the story is fantasy - despite the lesson.
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by wilbur View Post
    I think the Bible defies classification as any single particular kind of book.

Its got many dashes of myth, history, prose, allegory, apocalyptic literature etc etc. I'm sure many times, historical facts can be found interwoven into all of the above.
    Different men(they all were men) have different points of view of observed events.That has been proven in countless jury trials !

I have often been chided by non Christians during conversations defending the faith of the dissimilaritys between books of the apostle John .The answer is obvious.John didn't write his testament his many deciples whom he taught did !

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LibraryLady View Post
    The History Channel is about to rebroadcast Crucifixion.

Lots is filmed on site but it's pretty graphic.
    You ain't kiddin! I'm watching it and I'm cringing the whole time.
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

Quote Originally Posted by LogansPapa View Post
    Perhaps, but in as much as there's zero evidence of a world wide flood, logic would dictate the story is fantasy - despite the lesson.
    I ask you to consider what a person at the time might have considered "world wide".

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    [SIZE="3"]Different men(they all were men) have different points of view of observed events.That has been proven in countless jury trials !
    Oh yes. Which leads to complications when trying to understand what the objective truth is.

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    You ain't kiddin! I'm watching it and I'm cringing the whole time.
    You lasted longer than I did, they showed the impaled guy and I changed channels.:eek:

Discovery Channel has a show on Noah's Ark in about 45 minutes.

Patent Member
    I don't think you could call the Bible a "history book" by today's standards. There's a lot of content that is not concerned with the presentation of verifiable facts (basically any quotation). But considering The Odyssey and other works of fiction are used as historical reference materials, I don't see why you would discount the Bible, especially since a number of the stories therein have been verified.

I ask you to consider what a person at the time might have considered "world wide".
    18: And the waters prevailed, and were increased greatly upon the earth; and the ark went upon the face of the waters.

19: And the waters prevailed exceedingly upon the earth; and all the high hills, that were under the whole heaven, were covered.

20: Fifteen cubits upward did the waters prevail; and the mountains were covered.
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Consider, too, that every society on every continent, including the Aborigines and AmerIndians have an oral history of a great flood.
    The poster formerly known as chuck58 on the old board.