Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 The Stoopid is rampant 
    http://www.democraticunderground.com...ss=389x3608404

oktoberain (1000+ posts) Sat Jul-12-08 06:56 PM
    Original message
    Serious post. If you have any extra money at all, please read.
    Advertisements [?](cross-posted to The Lounge)

Right now, food prices are going up and food bank donations are down. As a member of the "poor class" (with some education, thank goodness) please let me humble myself to ask.

If you have any extra money, PLEASE donate to your local food bank. Poor Americans are in a dire situation. You know the annoyingly high electricity and gas bill you're paying? Poorer Americans are dealing with the same thing, with less resources. I personally know of a woman just a couple of mobile homes down who's eating canned cat food and rice. There's an elderly woman down the street who's living on canned green beans and white rice.

People are desperate. Please god, if you have anything you can spare...help. If you need help finding a resource, I will PERSONALLY assist you. Consider this a request on my knees. I will GLADLY volunteer my time, but I'm just as poor as they are. I have no money to give. This request to those who are better off than me is the best I can do.

Please, please. Even if it's just cranberry sauce and pumpkin pie mix from your cupboard. Anything helps.

On my knees for the hungry of America,
    Brandy

Gawd braindead in Oktober try getting rid of that $100.00 per month cable / internet bill may help alot.

some posters are also in agreement and claim as much poverty as the OP but yet their loyalty to du MAKES THEM PAY FOR AN ISP EVERY MONTH

Senior Member Constitutionally Speaking's Avatar
    What is really stupid is that canned cat food is EXPENSIVE!!! There are FAR cheaper food sources available than that!!

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Constitutionally Speaking View Post
    What is really stupid is that canned cat food is EXPENSIVE!!! There are FAR cheaper food sources available than that!!
    Yep, that post is full of BS. This food comes to mind...

May the FORCE be with you!

Quote Originally Posted by Constitutionally Speaking View Post
    Absolutely! I have finicky cats (aren't they all) and I pay about 59 cents a can. Some generic tunas are cheaper.

Dried beans are an excellent source of nutrients and are very cheap. Eggs, carrots, oatmeal, potatoes, peanut butter......
    This is bigger than presidential politics. This is a battle for America.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    And didn't the post mention...RICE!!! :eek:

I guess the poster forgot how just a little while ago DU was in an uproar
    over the skyrocketing price of that staple!!!
    May the FORCE be with you!

Food Banks are hurting. I liked this idea:

dflprincess Donating Member (1000+ posts)
    Response to Reply #14
    51. The grocery store I shop at makes it so easy

Near the front check outs they have bags of food already set up. You just haved to pick the bag up and put it in your cart when you check out the carry out takes it over and puts it in the barrel. The bag costs $5.00 and I try and grab one when I do my weekly shopping.
    A few years ago I got permission to erase library fines with a donation of canned goods for a food bank. It was so successful that the next year we did it with pet food for the animal shelter. We got books back that no one ever expected to see again!

Excuse me, but I think this post deserves to be applauded rather than ridiculed.

oktoberain didn't say, "food banks are hurting, so the government needs to step in and spend more money on welfare." She didn't say, "the poor are having trouble making ends meet, because of evil Republicans." She didn't even say, "food prices are going up, and it's all Bu$$$shitler's fault!!!1!"

She's asking for voluntary donations to help those who are having trouble. She's asking people who are comfortable to aid those who are not. That's a downright conservative attitude to take. That's the sort of thing we should be encouraging.

Brandy, I don't know if you're reading this, but thanks to your post, I just made a contribution of $500 to Northwest Harvest. I've been having a very good year, and I thank you for reminding me to share my good fortune.

Quote Originally Posted by LibraryLady View Post
    Food Banks are hurting. I liked this idea:

A few years ago I got permission to erase library fines with a donation of canned goods for a food bank. It was so successful that the next year we did it with pet food for the animal shelter. We got books back that no one ever expected to see again!
    THIS is a fantastic idea. Does the public library get to count the fines as donations?

Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    Excuse me, but I think this post deserves to be applauded rather than ridiculed.

oktoberain didn't say, "food banks are hurting, so the government needs to step in and spend more money on welfare." She didn't say, "the poor are having trouble making ends meet, because of evil Republicans." She didn't even say, "food prices are going up, and it's all Bu$$$shitler's fault!!!1!"

She's asking for voluntary donations to help those who are having trouble. She's asking people who are comfortable to aid those who are not. That's a downright conservative attitude to take. That's the sort of thing we should be encouraging.

Brandy, I don't know if you're reading this, but thanks to your post, I just made a contribution of $500 to Northwest Harvest. I've been having a very good year, and I thank you for reminding me to share my good fortune.
    I agree with you here. Brandy's post is asking people to act and voluntarily donate food to shelters. It is a win-win all around. And she's right: the working poor are getting hit hard, especially if they have family obligations.

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    THIS is a fantastic idea. Does the public library get to count the fines as donations?

I was at a University library and just got permission from our Comptroller. I had the authourity to waive fines anyway, I just thought it would be fun to get some good out of it.

Now I hear they have an amnesty week. :(