Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldwater View Post
    I wuv you Linda numbers.
    Very welcome of course, but I wasn't just posting for wuv. I think that people may well believe that an embryo/fetus is a "person" at least a person in progress, but it's still not a "person" who is here, a person you can see. And besides, no matter how ambivalent they feel about abortion in general, they know they or their sister or daughter might need one someday, and they don't want the women they love to have to resort to a criminal act.

That thinking may be simplistic and incomplete, but I think it's as far as most people think about abortion. It's a philosophical concept until they need one - and everyone thinks the one justifiable abortion is one's own.

Quote Originally Posted by biccat View Post
    Did you manage to dig up the qualifications required to become a tenured professor at a prominent Chicago university?

Hmmm I searched and came up with the following qualifications...must be brainwashed in liberal ideology, be bamboosled by a local politician running for President with no qualifications for the job, be able to lie and twist facts to suit their needs no matter what and the ability to run away like a gutless coward when challenged....hey, Eyelids is quallified for the job.

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Very welcome of course, but I wasn't just posting for wuv. I think that people may well believe that an embryo/fetus is a "person" at least a person in progress, but it's still not a "person" who is here, a person you can see.
    I can't see you at the moment, does that make you a nonperson? Can I hire somebody to kill you without any consequence to myself?

And you certainly can see a fetus... just use ultrasound.

And besides, no matter how ambivalent they feel about abortion in general, they know they or their sister or daughter might need one someday, and they don't want the women they love to have to resort to a criminal act.
    It's a common fallacy to assume that one's own prejudices and predilections are universal. And very very few people "need" an abortion... and I for one would allow those who really do need one to get one. The duty to provide for one's children does not extend to the sacrifice of one's own life.

It's a philosophical concept until they need one - and everyone thinks the one justifiable abortion is one's own.
    Wow, do you have a low opinion of humanity. Is your own hypocrisy so deeply-ingrained that you must believe that everyone else is as big a hypocrite?

Very welcome of course, but I wasn't just posting for wuv. I think that people may well believe that an embryo/fetus is a "person" at least a person in progress, but it's still not a "person" who is here, a person you can see. And besides, no matter how ambivalent they feel about abortion in general, they know they or their sister or daughter might need one someday, and they don't want the women they love to have to resort to a criminal act.

That thinking may be simplistic and incomplete, but I think it's as far as most people think about abortion. It's a philosophical concept until they need one - and everyone thinks the one justifiable abortion is one's own.
    Actually, not everyone thinks the "one justifiable abortion" is their own. Many people know that no abortion is justified unless to save the mother's life, even their own. The only justification for killing an innocent human is if two lives will be lost otherwise. If Mom is unlikely to die, then killing Junior is murder at any age.
    -
    -
    -

In actual dollars, President Obama’s $4.4 trillion in deficit spending in just three years is 37 percent higher than the previous record of $3.2 trillion (held by President George W. Bush) in deficit spending for an entire presidency. It’s no small feat to demolish an 8-year record in just 3 years.

Under Obama’s own projections, interest payments on the debt are on course to triple from 2010 (his first budgetary year) to 2018, climbing from $196 billion to $685 billion annually.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonnabend View Post
    *looks up from legal textbook, one hand jotting notes*

Junebug, Carol..ladies, just letting you know that Eyelids is taking a short vacation, courtesy of the Sith admin and his loyal padawan (me :p ). He needs to learn respect..and he will.

Even if it means he gets shown the door....repeatedly. :D I suggested a high colonic. SR said something about danger money and HazMat suits...we'll let you know if we need you. :D

*flips page and sighs at the assignment on commercial law and contracts*
    Is there a way to revoke his avatar and signature privliges as well, only returning on good behavior?

Sonnabend
    Is there a way to revoke his avatar and signature privliges as well, only returning on good behavior?
    Ask the Sith Admin.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    Wow, do you have a low opinion of humanity. Is your own hypocrisy so deeply-ingrained that you must believe that everyone else is as big a hypocrite?
    I don't see it as hypocrisy; I see it as human nature. Not everyone can attain your state of moral perfection. I don't know if you're male or female; if you're male it makes it even easier for you, of course.

I don't see it as hypocrisy; I see it as human nature.
    What you describe (opposing abortion except when oneself or one's family member needs one) is textbook hypocrisy, whether you see it as such or not. So in other words, you believe that humans are hypocritical by nature. Such misanthropy! No wonder you're all in favor of the legal killing of very young humans; you probably think they'll just grow up to be more hypocrites.

Not everyone can attain your state of moral perfection.
    It takes far less than "moral perfection" to have principles... principles which don't take a backseat to self-interest. Do you really have none? Is there no moral precept you wouldn't abandon in the name of expediency? If so, how horrible... but I doubt that's true. I doubt you're such a rotten person as to have no principles. I have more faith in human nature than that.

I don't know if you're male or female; if you're male it makes it even easier for you, of course.
    Meanwhile, back in 1850, a slaveowner is telling an abolitionist "if you had a crop to get in, you'd want a slave, too."

And I notice you're silent on your ludicrous claim that the fetus isn't a person because we can't see it. Not surprising.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    What you describe (opposing abortion except when oneself or one's family member needs one) is textbook hypocrisy, whether you see it as such or not. So in other words, you believe that humans are hypocritical by nature.
    Oh! I can see why you would think so, if that had been in fact what I said. What I said was that most people were ambivalent about abortion. Naturally someone who "opposes" it should behave accordingly. The word I used is ambivalent, by which I meant when people are forced to think about it, they probably think it's "icky", and vastly prefer not to think about it at all. And that's what I think the major part of the electorate does.

It takes far less than "moral perfection" to have principles... principles which don't take a backseat to self-interest. Do you really have none? Is there no moral precept you wouldn't abandon in the name of expediency? If so, how horrible... but I doubt that's true. I doubt you're such a rotten person as to have no principles.
    You are quite right. I am widely regarded as a Sweetheart, around here. ;)

And I notice you're silent on your ludicrous claim that the fetus isn't a person because we can't see it. Not surprising.
    I also didn't say that. When you keep changing the wording of things, it makes little sense to kieep up the discussion.

10. #50 Go 
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyelids View Post
    Erm... whats it take to be an EMT? 2 years at the community college taking gen ed classes?

Gas is on the right, brake is on the left and wheel in the middle... only the turn on the sirens for emergencies.

Do you know what it takes to become an RN? And what is it you do for a living?
    ________
    SUZUKI VX800
    Last edited by Scarlet; 04-18-2011 at 06:33 AM.