Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 51 to 59 of 59
  1. #51  
    PORCUS STAPHUS ADMIN Rockntractor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    oklahoma
    Posts
    53,658
    Quote Originally Posted by AlmostThere View Post
    Or marry someone like me.;) My wife is big-time career oriented. Being in software development I could stay home when the kids were sick and work from home. It helped that my office was literally 5 minutes from the house too. My wife has traveled a LOT for her job for at least the last 10 years. I guess it was lucky she had me when she needed me.

    We've lived together 23 years and married 20 as of last month. Every relocation we ever made was for her job. Being in software I could work anywhere. Once I telecommuted across 3 states for about a year and a half. And now she has director level people reporting to her at a major pharma company so I guess she did it right. It's a shame we're splitting up now that one of the kids is out of the house and the other will have his driver's license in a couple months. It was just about to get easy.
    I am very sorry to hear that AL !
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by AlmostThere View Post
    Or marry someone like me.;) My wife is big-time career oriented.

    (snip)

    We've lived together 23 years and married 20 as of last month.
    See, she's in the Have It All generation. Your early 30-something women aren't as interested.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #53  
    Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    5,455
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    See, she's in the Have It All generation. Your early 30-something women aren't as interested.
    I'm only 29 but I'd have to agree with this statement.
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #54  
    PORCUS STAPHUS ADMIN Rockntractor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    oklahoma
    Posts
    53,658
    Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    I'm only 29 but I'd have to agree with this statement.
    Your 34 but that is still a kid!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #55  
    Senior Member AlmostThere's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    A Great Red State
    Posts
    1,920
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    I am very sorry to hear that AL !
    It's been a long time coming. It probably would have happened a couple years ago if it had been more convenient. I don't mean that in a snide way. We're both shooting for "the least harm to all parties concerned". I still live in the house, a separate bedroom, but I'm welcome here until I find something I'm comfortable with.

    I've got a buddy who is a lawyer. Not a divorce lawyer, personal injury. So he's actually worse than a divorce lawyer. :D

    I was talking to him the other day. He said, "Y'all have been married over 20 years, your wife makes a DAMN good salary, you are disabled and your income is disability pay. And you are not suing for alimony? You are fucking nuts!!". Maybe so, But I'll do OK with my pay and it will make looking in the mirror every day a helluva lot easier.

    He's a friend but personal injury lawyers are the worst. When it comes to work, they'd screw over their grandmothers. :o
    Last edited by AlmostThere; 12-08-2009 at 09:05 PM.
    Better to die on your feet than live on your knees.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #56  
    PORCUS STAPHUS ADMIN Rockntractor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    oklahoma
    Posts
    53,658
    Quote Originally Posted by AlmostThere View Post
    It's been a long time coming. It probably would have happened a couple years ago if it had been more convenient. I don't mean that in a snide way. We're both shooting for "the least harm to all parties concerned". I still live in the house, a separate bedroom, but I'm welcome here until I find something I'm comfortable with.

    I've got a buddy who is a lawyer. Not a divorce lawyer, personal injury. So he's actually worse than a divorce lawyer. :D

    I was talking to him the other day. He said, "Y'all have been married over 20 years, your wife makes a DAMN good salary, you are disabled and your income is disability pay. And you are not suing for alimony? You are fucking nuts!!". Maybe so, But I'll do OK with my pay and it will make looking in the mirror every day a helluva lot easier.
    It still really sucks! I hope the best for you.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #57  
    Senior Member AlmostThere's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    A Great Red State
    Posts
    1,920
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    It still really sucks! I hope the best for you.
    I appreciate that but while it it feels kind of weird, I'm OK with it. I know we'll both be happier. It's a very amicable split and 23 years total was a pretty good run.

    I really do appreciate the thought. :)
    Better to die on your feet than live on your knees.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    I'm only 29 but I'd have to agree with this statement.
    It's dead common nowadays. All these women grew up with working Moms and sometimes absent Dads. They aren't interested in any rinse, repeat situation. They can take care of themselves if it becomes an issue but they aren't too keen on having it become an issue. By staying home (even part-time) they are more likely to be able to handle the inevitable marital stresses and obstacles while they are raising small kids.

    Most divorces to two-career couples come within 10 years of reproduction. It's just too hard on a lot of women. They don't feel they can be a good Mom, good wife, and excellent careerist simultaneously. They no longer believe that they have to do this to prove anything.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #59  
    CU's Tallest Midget! PoliCon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh PA
    Posts
    25,322
    Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    I'm only 29 but I'd have to agree with this statement.
    Yea you're 29 like Bubba is 29 :p
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •