1. #1 Quick! I need a steak tips recipe.. 
    I've got a mess of cubed beef, and I've got a skillet and a large onion and cabinet full of spices... What can I do for dinner tonight? I was supposed to start the crock pot this morning and forgot because I took the exam to be a Corrections Officer and was pretty psyched about it!

Rescue me!
    Obama-if you're being run out of town, get out in front and pretend that it's a parade!!!

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by stsinner View Post
    I've got a mess of cubed beef, and I've got a skillet and a large onion and cabinet full of spices... What can I do for dinner tonight? I was supposed to start the crock pot this morning and forgot because I took the exam to be a Corrections Officer and was pretty psyched about it!

Rescue me!

BEEF MARINADE

1/2 tablespoon cumin
    1/2 tbsp Italian seasoning
    1 tablespoon onion powder
    1 tablespoon garlic salt
    1 tablespoon kosher salt
    1 tablespoon honey
    4 oz each
    red wine vinegar
    soy sauce
    teriyaki sauce
    Worcestershire sauce

Combine ingredients in a large mixing bowl and whisk until thoroughly mixed. Pierce meat with fork and place in a seal-able container.

Pour marinade over meat and seal and refrigerate for at least 3 hours. Marinade up to 7 hours.

Remove from refrigerator at least 15 minutes prior to grilling
    MARINADE FOR BEEF

1/2 c. chopped onion
    1/2 c. lemon juice
    1/4 c. salad oil
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp. celery salt
    Dash of pepper
    1 garlic clove, minced

Mix all ingredients together. Add marinade to meat and let stand 1 to 1 1/2 hours on each side. Use marinade to baste while meat is cooking. A good tenderizer for cheaper cuts of beef. Use in oven, broiler or grill
    SPICY ORIENTAL MARINADE FOR STEAK

1/2 c. soy sauce
    1/4 c. vinegar
    1/4 c. water
    1 tbsp. sugar
    1 tbsp. chili powder
    1 tsp. garlic powder (or 1 tbsp. fresh crushed garlic)
    1 tbsp. ground pepper

Mix all ingredients, cover meat with it and refrigerate 3-4 hours.

All great recipes, but I had only a half hour before my wife got home to throw something together! So here's what I went with:

I skewered the beef and painted it with Jack Daniels BBQ sauce, Chinese 5-Spice Powder, black pepper, cinnamon and minced onions:

And grilled! Ta-da!

Obama-if you're being run out of town, get out in front and pretend that it's a parade!!!

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by stsinner View Post
    All great recipes, but I had only a half hour before my wife got home to throw something together! So here's what I went with:

I skewered the beef and painted it with Jack Daniels BBQ sauce, Chinese 5-Spice Powder, black pepper, cinnamon and minced onions:

And grilled! Ta-da!

You need to get organized .Keep a backup in the freezer .Plan ahead with partially cooked meals with meats already on wooden skewers and vegi courses already done and frozen .It takes six minutes in the microwave to steam a few potatoes and warm up frozen foods.

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    You need to get organized .Keep a backup in the freezer .Plan ahead with partially cooked meals with meats already on wooden skewers and vegi courses already done and frozen .It takes six minutes in the microwave to steam a few potatoes and warm up frozen foods.
    Unfortunately, and in a rare moment, I'm going to have to disagree with you.. My wife is a vegetarian, and she has me thinking more and more healthy, so the microwave almost never gets used, and we NEVER eat frozen vegetables... We buy only fresh produce, and we steam every vegetable in lieu of boiling or microwaving.. Steamed corn on the cob from the local farm stand is like candy!

Here's the steamer that we use almost every night, and the cord has been repaired twice because I can't find a new one, not even online.. :mad:

I don't mind preparing the meals because I'm home during the day with our girls, and my wife's job is pretty stressful, on top of her being 7 months a pregasaurus.. I'll cook dinner and clean up the dishes while she visits with our daughters after a hard day.. We sit down to dinner and a prayer every night, and I really value this time with the family.. It's done less and less these days, but we stubbornly hang on to it..
    Last edited by stsinner; 08-25-2009 at 09:19 PM.