Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsSmith View Post
    If they ever bothered to read even the New Testament, they'd kick themselves for exposing their overwhelming ignorance to everyone.
    It doesn't work for Wilbur. He could read it all day and the truth would not soak in!

When I hear the "Jesus tells us to take care of..." argument, I let them know that Jesus was saying this to INDIVIDUALS not to GOVERNMENTS. He is telling them them they have a personal responsibility and not to sit back and let someone else do it for them. They dont like hearing that because there is no comeback to it.

Quote Originally Posted by raiderguy8 View Post
    When I hear the "Jesus tells us to take care of..." argument, I let them know that Jesus was saying this to INDIVIDUALS not to GOVERNMENTS. He is telling them them they have a personal responsibility and not to sit back and let someone else do it for them. They dont like hearing that because there is no comeback to it.

One of the reasons I no longer post at DU often is because they are such hypocrits on this issue. They feel if they get the government to do charity for them, they have no personal responsibility of their own to act or share on other people's behalf.

Or, they think that going to war protests equates helping people, and that if you don't go to them, you aren't making a difference, etc. That's what they think gives them liberal credentials. I got accused of living in an ivory tower, and obviously, that poster didn't know what I did for a living. I told him that I've seen things that would make his toes curl up and haunt his nightmares forever.

My belief, whether you are a liberal or conservative christian, is that Jesus told us we were supposed to be a light in this world, and not to hide our light under a bushel. We are to shine it in the darkest places of the world, which generally don't include peace rallies where bottled water and snacks are sold by vendors to the protestors.

Refresh my memory, it's been maybe 16 hours since I cracked open a bible: where is the part where Christ tells the people to force their elected officials to tax them enough to offer free health care to the poor?