Thread: Leave Ted Alone!!!!!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    No. There is no evidence that he didn't regret that death. I think a person should be remembered for the good and not just the bad.
    okay - what good?
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

I'm assuming nobody archived the thread on DU?
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."

Politically tired.
    First of all, he did admit he was wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Kennedy

"I regard as indefensible the fact that I did not report the accident to the police immediately", but denied driving under the influence of alcohol and denied any immoral conduct between him and Kopechne.[46] Kennedy asked the Massachusetts electorate whether he should stay in office and, after getting a favorable response, he did so.[46]
    It is possible to believe you're not drunk. He did apologize for not reporting the incident at first. He also asked if he should stay in his position. I personally would have said no, but the point is he asked.

In October 1971, Kennedy made his first speech about The Troubles in Northern Ireland: he said that "Ulster is becoming Britain's Vietnam", demanded that British troops leave the northern counties, called for a united Ireland,[54] and declared that Protestants who could not accept this "should be given a decent opportunity to go back to Britain" (a position he backed away from within a couple of years).[55] Kennedy was harshly criticized by the British, and formed a long political relationship with Irish Social Democratic and Labour Party founder John Hume.[54] In scores of anti-war speeches, Kennedy opposed President Richard Nixon's policy of Vietnamization, calling it "a policy of violence [that] means more and more war."[50] In December 1971, Kennedy strongly criticized the Nixon administration's support for Pakistan and its ignoring of "the brutal and systematic repression of East Bengal by the Pakistani army".[56] He traveled to India and wrote a report on the plight of the 10 million Bengali refugees.[57] In February 1972, Kennedy flew to Bangladesh and delivered a speech at Dhaka University, where a killing rampage had begun a year earlier.[57]
    Some may not view this as good, some would.

and again.

Meanwhile, Kennedy renewed his efforts for national health insurance. While proposing a single-payer solution favored by organized labor, he also negotiated with the Nixon administration on their preferred employer-based, HMO-oriented solution.[63] The two sides could not come to agreement, and Kennedy would later regret not seizing upon the Nixon plan.[64] In the wake of the Watergate scandal, Kennedy pushed campaign finance reform; he was a leading force behind passage of the Federal Election Campaign Act Amendments of 1974, which set contribution limits and established public financing for presidential elections.[65][66] In April 1974, Kennedy travelled to the Soviet Union, where he met with leader Leonid Brezhnev and advocated a full nuclear test ban as well as relaxed emigration, gave a speech at Moscow State University, met with Soviet dissidents, and secured an exit visa for famed cellist Mstislav Rostropovich.[67] Kennedy's Subcommittee on Refugees and Escapees continued to focus on Vietnam, especially after the Fall of Saigon in 1975.[50]
    And I mentioned children's healthcare earlier. Just because some of you all didn't see some of it as good doesn't mean others feel the same.

I also heard he petted a puppy once back in 73 but I don't have a link!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Kennedy

It is possible to believe you're not drunk. He did apologize for not reporting the incident at first. He also asked if he should stay in his position. I personally would have said no, but the point is he asked.

Some may not view this as good, some would.

and again.

And I mentioned children's healthcare earlier. Just because some of you all didn't see some of it as good doesn't mean others feel the same.
    He is not an easy one to defend but you gave it a shot. Just one question to see how sure you are that he was a good man. When you die do you want to go where he is now?

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    I find that pic most disturbing!!! :eek::D

Me too. The bag so doesn't go with the shoes.
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba Dawg View Post

Me too. The bag so doesn't go with the shoes.
    You probably shave your legs too!

He admitted he was sorry that he couldn't sweep it under the carpet better. That's not the same as admitting he was wrong.

I seem to remember that it was a republican president who made that possible.

Kennedy was always self serving. He had a long habit of taking credit for other peoples work going all the way back to his school days. He was an elitist of the worst kind - the kind that had no redeeming qualities.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Resident Grump
    He did apologize for not reporting the incident at first. He also asked if he should stay in his position
    He never admitted he drove drunk and left a woman to die."reported the accident"...he walked past a dfire station and a police station, both of whom could have saved her. All he was concerned with was his sorry ass and his career.

Show me where he went to the Kopechne family and admitted to them what he had done, show me where he showed ANY remorse for her death whatsoever.

The man was scum.