Thread: How was it for you, when you were a youngster, and sick?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 How was it for you, when you were a youngster, and sick? 
    When I was sick, and puking as a kid.. preteen, etc, my mother was always there to hold my hair back, make sure I have a bucket, in case I did not make it to the bathroom. She was available to me all night, or day.

I did the same with my children. If they were sick, puking, and feverish, I had a bell beside their beds and they rang the bell, and I came with dry toast, chicken soup, water, etc. I just now asked my daughter if she ever puked without me knowing, or being at her side. No, she did not.

Okay.. I am going somewhere with this.... The neighbor lady.. her son is sick. He is just 11 yrs old. It is a bug that is going around. I told my friend that she has a long night ahead of her. This bug is brutal for about 24 hours.
    My friend told me that she is taking her sleeping pill tonite, just like she does every night. OH MY GOD!!!

I took a water bottle up to the poor kid, and a bucket to puke in, along with sympathy, which goes a long way IMO.

How was it with you, when you were sick? Do you baby the hec k out of your kids when they are sick?? Did your mother do the same for you?

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    My mom didn't miss work when we were sick. We were on our own. She would call and check on us though.:p
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    My mom didn't miss work when we were sick. We were on our own. She would call and check on us though.:p
    :eek: My mother always stayed home if we were sick.

I told my neighbor lady that her son will remember this when he is older.. her comforting him when he feels like he is dying.

I guess she needs her sleep.

I want to carry the bratty kid over to my place and mother him.

No kid should have to puke alone, if they are not teenagers.

My Mom always stayed with me when I was sick (heck, she still will if I let her know!)

I was right by my children through illnesses but I had to be very careful if they vomited. I have such a gag reflex that I would upchuck too.:eek:

Isolated Mountain Range in Eastern Nevada
    If I was puking my mom had to be a long way away...it was my dad who got puking detail...
    but a cool hand on a fevered brow, homemade soup..lots of attention
    I smile because I don't know what the heck is going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpy View Post
    :eek: My mother always stayed home if we were sick.

I told my neighbor lady that her son will remember this when he is older.. her comforting him when he feels like he is dying.

I guess she needs her sleep.

I want to carry the bratty kid over to my place and mother him.

No kid should have to puke alone, if they are not teenagers.
    Jumpy, you were taught to be a good mom from your good mom. My mom did the same and I did the same for my kids.

I even baby the dogs. SR accuses me of making Blue a bubble dog. Of course he's in a protective bubble. He's 9 years old and has had epilepsy since he was 2. If he wasn't babied, he wouldn't be here.

I can't imagine your neighbor not being more concerned for her kid. You'll be the person he thinks kindly about and remembers.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    Jumpy, you were taught to be a good mom from your good mom.
    Whoa there! What are you trying to say?:p

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    Whoa there! What are you trying to say?:p
    Oops, meant to say "by your good mom". I meant we learn parenting from our parents. Sometimes it's good and we imitate, other times it's not so good and we avoid those behaviors.

My mom rarely gave encouragement or expressed much emotion. I tried not to replicate that. But she did hold the bucket and cooked the chicken soup and stayed home with my sister and me when we were sick.

She's been gone for about 7 years now, and I really miss her.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

My mom was a SAHM so she was always there when I was sick. She would set up the couch in the living room with blankets and pillows so I could rest but still have some TV. If I was puking, she would keep a paper grocery sack next to the couch for me. She would bring me medicine, soup, 7up, whatever I needed.

I think I got very lucky in the mother department.
    2011 CU Fantasy Baseball Champion

Quote Originally Posted by jendf View Post
    If I was puking, she would keep a paper grocery sack next to the couch for me.
    If Tristan is puking, I'm throwing his skinny butt in the bathroom. I'll bring him a pillow and blanket if it's an all nighter but there is no way I'm letting him throw up near my couch into a paper sack. Uck.