Thread: President Bush to Lift Executive Ban on Offshore Drilling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 President Bush to Lift Executive Ban on Offshore Drilling 
    Breaking now on FoxNews!!

Bush to Lift Executive Ban on Offshore Oil Drilling
    Monday, July 14, 2008

WASHINGTON — The White House says President Bush is planning to lift an executive ban on offshore oil drilling.

In a Rose Garden statement on Monday, the president plans to lift the ban. But by itself, the move will not lead to more drilling off America's coastline.

Congress must still lift its own legislative ban before offshore drilling can happen.

White House press secretary Dana Perino says Bush is acting now in hopes of spurring Congress to act. So far, lawmakers have shown no interest in doing so.

Watch President Bush speak Live at 1:30 p.m. ET on FOX News Channel.

:D
    Last edited by Perilloux; 07-14-2008 at 10:28 AM.
    “Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again.”
    ― C.S. Lewis

ABout time. Now if only this works to shame congress into acting.

I got my fingers crossed.

Q & A with the Governor: Offshore drilling

A local corresponds with the governor. Editor's note: The following is recent correspondence between Lemoore resident Brian Eichelberger and Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger in regard to offshore drilling.

Gov. Schwarzenegger:

I heard on FOX news today you and a few other Governor's from around the nation oppose any offshore drilling. With a faltering economy and high gas prices, I'd like to know why you would oppose this? This would be a step in the right direction to ease the burden on a lot of people.

Brian Eichelberger

Lemoore
    Mr. Eichelberger:

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me about offshore oil drilling. I always value hearing the thoughts of my fellow Californians.

California's coastline is an international treasure, and since taking office, my commitment to its preservation has been unwavering. I do not support lifting the moratorium on new oil drilling off our coast, but I do welcome discussion about how to lower the cost of gasoline.

Soaring prices are taking a toll on not only California families, but all American families. However, we are in this situation because of our dependence on traditional petroleum-based oil.

The direction our nation needs to go -- and where California is already headed -- is toward greater innovation in new technologies and new fuel choices for consumers. That is how we will ultimately reduce fuel costs and also protect our environment.

Again, thank you for writing and adding your voice to this important issue.

Sincerely,

Arnold Schwarzenegger

Gov. Schwarzenegger:

I do not agree with your views. California's coast line used to be a national treasure. We are no longer the Golden State. California has the highest gas prices in the nation along with higher electricity, food prices and many other things.

The future of this country is to be self-sufficient, not depend on other countries for oil, especially those who hate the United States. We should have NEVER depended on other countries for oil. They take our tax dollars to buy our real estate and open business' in our own country.

Look around the country at the auto plants closing, the airline industry in severe trouble, the RV industry, and many small business' that are closing -- all due to ridicules gas prices. Thousands of jobs lost. People can't have family fun anymore. And it's only going to get worse.

Many families have regressed to living paycheck to paycheck. Elderly people on fixed incomes are struggling. In case you haven't noticed, this state and this country have fallen apart. It appears a number of other countries have moved forward with technology, but the U.S. has gone backwards.

We have the technology to solve this and bring gas prices back to $1.50 a gallon. And, it shouldn't take five to 10 years. The oil industry played mind games with people, slowly conditioning us, getting us used to higher gas prices. It's time for you, the environmentalists and, the politicians in Washington to wake up, stop thinking like the liberals.

The only people benefiting from all this are the oil CEOs and oil investors who are laughing all the way to their banks.

Brian Eichelberger

Lemoore

(July 10, 2008)

http://www.thelemooreadvance.com/art...8754040880.txt
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by expat-pattaya View Post
    ABout time. Now if only this works to shame congress into acting.

I got my fingers crossed.

Pelosi and Reid are beyond shame,they only way to move those two is an uprising or a serious threat to their boys political chances come the election.

The San Francisco Mavins are digging in and playing 'HardBall' hoping to survive this "Le Théâtre de l'Absurde" and the gathering Political Merde_Storm.

Isn't the Virginia legislature trying to lift a ban there?

July 09, 2008

Offshore Drilling Passes Virginia House of Delegates

Good news today from Virginia on offshore drilling. HB6006, a bill that would allow vital oil and natural gas exploration off the Virginia coastline, passed the House of Delegates by 56 to 39.

The bill would also use the revenue from the offshore drilling to help pay for Virginia's transportation needs. With Congress refusing to take action to drill here and drill now, it's nice to see the states take some initiative.

Delegate Chris Saxman, the bill's author, said this in a press release:

“Though federal officials will ultimately decide whether to lift the ban on offshore drilling, it is important for Virginia, possessing potentially significant offshore resources, to prepare for that possibility now. By passing House Bill 6006, the Virginia General Assembly can send a strong message to Congress that we are ready to act.”

Thanks to all the Virginians who called their Delegate asking them to support the bill. Now, we need you to call your State Senator to encourage them to support offshore drilling as well.
    Last edited by LibraryLady; 07-14-2008 at 11:12 AM. Reason: It was Newt
    This is bigger than presidential politics. This is a battle for America.

Messy. I can see this going a couple of ways, but the one that bothers me the most is Congress lifting it's ban on offshore drilling, and President Obama takes credit for lower gas prices.
    Nothing helps a bad mood like spreading it around.

On Capitol Hill, key Democrats denounced Bush's move and focused on their calls for legislation forcing oil companies to instead drill on the millions of acres for which they already hold leases.

"The president didn't follow his father's policy on Iraq, and now he's not following his father's policy on offshore oil drilling," said Sen. Barbara Boxer (D-Calif.), chairman of the Senate's Environment and Public Works Committee. "Ironically, the result will be less pressure on the oil companies to produce on the leases they already hold."

Boxer added: "At a time when the Bush administration is failing on housing, the economy, the deficit, the environment and foreign policy, the president is desperately trying to divert responsibility for outrageous gas prices from himself to the Congress."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...071401049.html
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Quote Originally Posted by Troll View Post
    Messy. I can see this going a couple of ways, but the one that bothers me the most is Congress lifting it's ban on offshore drilling, and President Obama takes credit for lower gas prices.
    "Green" energy is dependent upon high oil prices. If the price of oil/energy falls, new fangled energy sources become not economical. Environmentalists has a vested interest in causing world wide energy induced inflation.

I see this a a bunch of baby boomers that are reaching the end of their lives with nothing to show for it. The ideals they based their lives on in the 60's, free love, no consequences, Godless society, etc., was not a successful as they had envisioned. This is their last attempt, in their eyes, to make a lasting impression on this earth.

Quote Originally Posted by LogansPapa View Post
    On Capitol Hill, key Democrats denounced Bush's move and focused on their calls for legislation forcing oil companies to instead drill on the millions of acres for which they already hold leases.

"The president didn't follow his father's policy on Iraq, and now he's not following his father's policy on offshore oil drilling," said Sen. Barbara Boxer (D-Calif.), chairman of the Senate's Environment and Public Works Committee. "Ironically, the result will be less pressure on the oil companies to produce on the leases they already hold."

Boxer added: "At a time when the Bush administration is failing on housing, the economy, the deficit, the environment and foreign policy, the president is desperately trying to divert responsibility for outrageous gas prices from himself to the Congress."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...071401049.html
    What an utter asshelmet.
    “Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.”

Take action, don't depend on these message board discussions. Call your local congressman, go to the stickie in GD and follow the link and sign Newt's petition. Congress has to see that the people are rising up against them. He's already got over 1,300,000+ signatures. Sign if you haven't already. Thanks.

Bush did what he could. It's time for us to help.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"